W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 17, 2018, 01:01:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Helping the Handicapped  (Read 4293 times)

Dawg

• Level 4
Helping the Handicapped
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:43:08 PM »

I've recently been approached by two different individuals seeking self defense training who are wheelchair bound. Although I invited them to come to my class to check things out, I also explained to them that personal training would probably be in their best interests. Although I feel I have an obligation to provide training to anyone who has the desire to be able to defend themselves, I see a lot of obstacles to overcome to provide an effective curriculum for their particular circumstances.
Am I wrong in thinking that, in their case, a good firearms training course and a CCW permit might be a better choice than H2H training?
Are there any forum members that are currently training in H2H that are wheelchair bound?
Does anyone have any experience with working with wheelchair bound folks?
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Helping the Handicapped
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 03:01:12 PM »

I know a Man ,Master Jurgen Schmidt a wheel chair bound Martial arts Master and founder of the International Disabled Self Defense Association,(IDSA),he and or his down line instructors maybe able to help you.
Here are the various School Instructor locations:
http://www.defenseability.com/Loc1.htm

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »

JimH,
Thanks! It's going to take me a while to check this out, but I appreciate your help in getting me started.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 05:25:30 PM »

Dawg- when I was in  clarksville I  was in contact with instructors that taught people in wheel chairs-I also gave some classes to actual physically hadicapped college students-I  have some tips on teaching that i  used-
1-I showed tactics using a wheel   chair-i can tell you them if you need .
2-I  would put them right in class with non physically  handicapped students because
   as i  was told and believe  also that they should get the feeling of real  world -not be seperated-i.e. they are getting out of handicapped Van and are attacked- they are in a mall and thief assaults them and they get pushed over-(very  scary)
3-How to  fight with cane-crutches-
You did not mention students that have eye sight problems-there are instructors out there who teach the blind -(they use a method called Tracking..)
Let me know and ill pass on some of the info-Richard (whitewolf)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44:18 PM »

Whitewolf,
That would be greatly appreciated! JimH's website has some great information also, and I plan on contacting them in the near future.
Right now, my plate's kind of full. Along with my regular classes and personal training schedule, I'm planning on receiving some personal training from ol' Rawhide in March with my training partners, setting up a knife and stickfighting seminar in April and a free multiple opponent seminar in May (especially if you decide to come over here to train!). Master Carr and myself are also planning on offering free self defense seminars to women over the summer, so I'm a little busy. Hopefully, the individuals I mentioned will be satisfied with the material in the class until I can get something going specifically for them.
I definitely appreciate all the suggestions!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:54:14 PM »

Dawg-ok-just let  me know when you want some detailed info  and ill send by either  e  mail or here on the forum-sounds like you are busy as hell-is this plus a full  time job?
Question how  far from tn boarder is Maridian-? If we come back only  have one car unless we rent one-if not its the bus for  me- i know they  dont  have  trains out in the bush where yo  live- ;D ;D

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »

Whitewolf,
Yes, I have a full time job. I'm an Electronics Technician for the Department of the Navy during the day and do my training and teaching in the afternoons and evenings (and most weekends!). I got "hooked" on the martial arts at my very first duty station when I entered the Navy in '82, and have been practicing something, somewhere ever since.
Meridian is approx. 150 miles south from the Tennessee border and 20 miles west of Alabama.
We have trains running through here all over the place. Being a retired Marine, you could probable pass for the lumber they're usually carrying. ;D
Travelling for freight prices might be cheaper than driving!
I think it would be a good idea to post your info on the forum; I'm sure I'm not the only instructor that could use it.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »

OK Dawg-ill dig up some info and send some out hopefully tommorow-as for traveling-dont worry i would make it somehow to Maridian-

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:28:34 PM »

Dawg--Thought I would send some info out now-hope it willl assist u and other instructors in working with handicapped (physically challenged) persons. Thes are some thoughts that should help.
A-Check the National Handicappable Martial arts association in South Carolina
B-Students that have a serious psycholical difficulty such as uncontrollable rage should not be training with other students otherwise all should be able to train regardless of agge sex handicap in the class.
C-One idea is to explore how implements such as canes/crutches can be used for protection
D-train student in wheel chair how to  use the foot stureps as a battering ram when approached(practise this over and over)
E-Tactics in attacking with twisting head/wrist/could be practised
F-remind the student that attacker almost always underestamates the victim due to handicap-that is in victims favor
G-Pracise in balance on one foot-use of  wall to get  balance
H-drill with cane and without it-standing on one foot-practise overcomming vertigo
I-learn to fight with elbow strikes-blinding opponent with jabs to  eyes
J-Teach  Tracking--a method where student has ahold of lower arm and follows it up to face area to strike(students that are partially or fully blind)
K-In this case grappeling but not sport-fight to survive tactics
L-Teach that it is better to  resist than give up-scream/bite/claw/scratch have a bette chance to survive than those who beg plead or cry
M-lots of practise outside in parking lot-enter exit doors-cars-walking on sidewalk
O-teach  to  read the street and people walking near them

The above A-O are various thoughts on setting up a class over a few weeks or a  on going program-they are just the main thoughts -tactics are left up to the instructor as everyone instructs in a different manner-what i  did find out is that a physically challenged person for the most  part is very  serious when it comes to  training-probably because they have been struggling against the odds moreso than a lot of people with no  handicap-hope this small paragraph will assit if someone comes to a school and trains-
stay  safe-whitewolf

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »

Whitewolf,
Nice list!
Being a retired squid, I just can't resist pointing out to a retired jarhead that, if you're going to list things alphabetically, don't leave out any letters!
Unless of course, you were drinking a can of Schlitz for each letter as you were posting...this is then a legitmate excuse for leaving out the letter "N" and is not only forgiveable but will probably earn you an accommodation from Arnold.

Thanks, as always, for your input.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »

Dawg- N-???what the hell is N-Marines start with a M _i say again-M- N = Navy hahah
do you because I love the corpsmen i am not 100 fucking % jar  head-but in your case i will forgive you  because you are the man sir-I will really try to put in N next  time but if  not please forgive me-as for shiltz-screw schiltz i want Fosters and only  Fosters-now to serious stuff:
Back to handicapped training:
To give you a feeling of helpness and how it may feel to a handicapped person try this:
Alpha -Tie one hand behind  back of student while attacked
Bravo--Blindfold student and have them attacked
November-(see i rememembred) - If you can get a wheel chair and practise H2H tactics with students that dont need the chair to see how lots of the training disappears when they are sort of tied to wheels and cant get up
Oscar-if the handicapped student will try have them be attacked by 2 persons at one time-go in slow  motion  they can reolize how to  cope

take care-whitewolf

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »

Good stuff!
Monday I'll try to acquire a wheelchair.
And no, Arnold, although I appreciate your willingness to help, I do NOT want you injuring my legs so I can get a free one from TRICARE!
That goes for the rest of you guys as well (might as well head that one off before it gets started!).

Martin25

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »

I have been working for a few years  with a group of people with spinal injuries at the National Spinal Injuries Hospital in Dublin Ireland. You can get their contact details from our website www.jkdireland.com
The contact person is Colm Whooley.

I have learned many things from them such as the true courage they show in the face of massive adversity. I have thrown out more than 90% of my curriculum to find what works with them. Beware of putting a able bodied Instructor into a wheelchaire and trying to figure out techniques as it will not work,the balance will be all wrong. They have a great sense of humour and bullshit indicators as well.
Martin

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »

Martin25-i understand -the students that are physically handicapped really try when they
are shown anything that will help them-its been awhile sense I  worked with some students that were in wheel chairs but I remember how excited they  were when practising .
Dawg-how are you doing with the teaching these particular students? hope you are doing ok-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 06:01:09 AM »

El Lobo Blanco,
I'm sorry to say that neither of the two individuals who had expressed interest in lessons have had any further contact with me. :'(

I have some other projects I'm working on right now, but plan to regroup and try again in June. JimH recommended a website earlier in this thread, and I plan on contacting that organization and getting some assistance.

In the meantime, my self defense class and personal client list is growing. I plan to keep on keepin' on and see what develops. Thanks for asking! ;D

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 12:18:56 PM »

Dawg-wish you luck-as for me i  leave for Greece 8 May for 5 days training with the Greek Krav Maga club -looking forward to  that a lot-stay  safe Whitewolf

Download