• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Words-  (Read 2354 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Words-
« on: April 06, 2008, 10:01:12 PM »

All-Getting ready for work I took some time to look at some vidios-I came accross one made by a Mr Steve Rowe=Although I never head of him he discussed "wedge"-which was interesting-he also discussed having a hunters mentality and not being defensive in tactics-he showed a couple demos of the wedge=i understand it is a similar to what others call Burst-Spear-etc-he also called a wedge when you use shoulder to block and enter elbow etc etc-just thought i  could get some valid comments-as a after thought the comment about having a Hunters mentality sounds like the new method being taught to the USMC -whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Words-
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »

yawn,

Hock

(well that would be rude, to leave it at that.

* Getting your hands up in a fight - invented by cavemen
* Hunter/Prey - invented by cavemen

So simple? Even a cavemen a could do it )

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:02:36 AM by Hock »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 10:01:27 AM »

I like what this guy has to say as it is basic and fundemental to all arts.

I like his application of the Block/Parry and Strike,as many think the Block is a seperate application then you strike,rather than both being doable simultaneously.

I like his stressing the step in along with the strike,
another basic often not taught or over looked.
(I did not think his first showing of the step /strike was good as he did not step far enough and he took himself out of balance/power by leaning forward past his foot to reach the opponent bringing his head out too far forward)

The Back should be straight to deliver power and keep in balance.

I also liked his use of the Body as an Impact point/weapon.
The Body if used Immediately,with foot work driving forward,speed and Body weight is a GREAT first line,first attack movement to take the opponent off guard and out of balance.

I did not think he needed to use the term Wedge as what he demonstrated was a single obstacle over a true wedge or spear.(symantics of word use)

I did not think the term Hunter was appropriate either,though I get his point.
Point being the mindset to Respond immediately with violence of effort.

The Hunter is the one who dictates the place and force of attack.
If we are the Targets on the Street,we are not Hunters ,we are prey.
Our Response is for Survival and should be directed as such.

The Hunter has the advantage he acts first,initiates the first move,while we may move to Preempt it is all still a reaction to the Attacker/Hunter.

Again just symantics of his use of words,but I do understand and agree with his points.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:11:29 PM »

Well I am getting some responses: I found his webb site so now I  know who he is.
Hock:Dont really understand  the word Yawn? Seems to me that he is passing on in his terminology how to be proactive in a altercation-not wait till one is beat down.

In fact today as i walked the area of my patrol I thought about the word "Hunter" and "Wedge"-gave me some food for thought-

Jim -you must  have reviewed  and given some thought-thanks

As I  have previously said-at my age and still alive (Thank goodness) I look at everything and take the best fo me and put it in my brain housing group for reference-

Now I always look at a area where I am located at and picture it as a possible battle field
(so to speak) I attempt to read the people near me-driving by-sitting-etc-

A "wedge" could be also translated as a mental strike where I dont get hurt because i responded and was first (dodged-flanked-passed through quickly-deescalated the situation or got the hell out of  dodge)

Dont know if that makes sense except to  me-wedge/burst/spear/attack-as long as i come home at the end of the day-more comments please-white wolf (el lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:07:24 PM »

Whitewolf,
Words,as you aptly titled this thread,are just peoples own way to explain things and to attempt ot get a point across.

No matter if ,as you say,it is wedge,fence,spear,block,parry,what ever as long as it provokes a thought that we either choose to use and act upon or choose to leave off,(For now), as at some other time it may make sense and be usable in the future.

The term Hunter is good while on Patrol as it allows you to think about the possibility of the enemy possibly thinking of becoming the hunter,and if you think as he/she might it could prevent eventsaimed at you or around you.
(similar to the USMC Hunter Training.(anticipate the enemy actions)

The Wedge can be thought about as any obstacle that prevents the enemy from getting to you or striking you,this Barrier YOU control.
It could be used as an Immediate stop or as a draw to gain better position.

I completely understand your points and they make sense to me.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »

To go on a little further on "Words"-I talk every day to  my Napal and India guard force-I attempt to have them think out side the "Box" (new word here)-They as a group are mostly kind of timid and dont want to offend anyone-I specifically zone in on the complex supervisor sense they are the ones that speak and comprehend our language the best-they relay thoughts and training to the guard force at their location. anyhow-i discuss and ask then to look at situations and thnik -what is going on?if it dont look right call the duty security officer on duty and pass the info on (what they are suppossed to  do anyhow)-
So=I will experiment today and tommorow with the word "Wedge" and try to get a translation that i can use to explain -use a wedge to deflect posible problems at thieir locations (which could be a-unruly Kuwaites/or other nationalities b-drunks c-problem americans d-problem guards e-auto accidents envolving our company on property
And in addition i have added "wedge" as a perminent part of keeping me healthy-heheheh
Lastly-Jim again thanks-your thoughts help
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »

Whitewolf,
Here is one for you from your Corps days.
http://www.simhq.com/_land2/images/land_076a_004.jpg
The wedge:
From the wedge and similar in structure to a persons arm
We can penetrate using the tip of the wedge,(or elbow,shoulder, Body)

We can extend the wedge from the tip to be on line,{tip (apex of the wedge)becomes/falls to the center of the line} (extend the arm into a strike)

We can collapse both legs of the wedge with the tip becoming the first man in the line
(bring the forearm to the biceps for a triangular type block from Muay thai)

We can  turn the wedge into the diamond and protect the tail end
(we can use the total body in any direction to repel attacks or attack from)

The wedge is versatile,it can collapse,it can extend ,it can contract.

A Large extended wedge can Hunt/penetrate for contact
It can be a Draw,with  the center pulling back,drawing the enemy in to the center of the funnel (also called hammer and anvil)
It can cover itself if we relocate to the rear by over watch eyeballing the move rearward.

As you know I am using the wedge as a reference to a group and to the singular body,
but
it can be used (as you know) by single men,Groups/squads of men in wedge ,Vehicles  any thing we can move in force.

Have fun thinking of ways to employ and share the WEDGE.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 11:10:11 PM »

Shit you make me want to go to the recruiting station-BUT-they wont take a almost  i say almost Old Corps type -as for the wedge-i will apply immediate action and press on valiently and use the Wedge/spear/block/dive/whatever mentally and physically so that i make 70 and beyond=
Now we have 2  words-wedge,Box
ok- now on to other posts--whitewolf  (el lobo blanco)

Download