W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 12, 2018, 04:42:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T Tackett Straight Blast  (Read 6837 times)

cfadeftac

• Level 1
T Tackett Straight Blast
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:55:08 AM »

I just finished watching Tim Tackett's portion of the Jeet Kune Do Power Hitting and Kicking DVD which was excellent with many great little tid bits on punching.  I found his take on the straight blast to be very interesting, with two short shots to get them moving back followed with two long shots to take them out, since he feels if you have to hit more than four times you are doing something wrong.   I have trained with a few people who have trained with Jesse Glover and I found Mr. Tackett's take on the straight blast truly added something of value to my use of this tool. Oh yeah Jesse figures six shots to the head generally finish the job.

Thanks

Andrew

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
Re: T Tackett Straight Blast
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 03:46:25 AM »

So you think you're going to hit the Nickster in the head 4 to 6 times and create some type of effect?! The only thing that will happen is that your hand/fist will be either bruised or broken.
That is all
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »

I like to do some type of destruction techniques then go to the blast, alsmost ala paul vunack, it does work when you smash someone's hand and then over power them.
i would never try it on uncle nick

Bryant

• Kung Fu Genius
  • Level 3
  • To win in an instant is a superior achievement
    • moy yat ving tsun kung fu
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 09:27:56 AM »

I think this depends on the situation;
I would never open with a "straight blast", unless there was an obvious opportunity to use it. Which might occur in a self defenses situation(element of surprise), in a mutual combat scenario you would have to create or seize an opportunity to use a "straight blast". I think if you just advance blindly throwing punches you are going to get yourself in trouble, no matter who it is.
Proverbs 27:17 - Proverbs 24:3-4

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 11:12:22 AM »

I recommend the use of knuckle dusters or lead lined gloves on your hands-that would finish the job ....whitewolf (el  lobo blanco))-oww that would hurt-..

cfadeftac

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:38:14 AM »

Arnold,

No I do not think I could even land the straight blast on Nick, I agree with Bryant (and this is the way Mr. Tackett showed it and Mr. Glover teaches it too) that it is definitely a situational technique used when you are very close.  Then again from what my instructors tell me Jesse hits very hard and I think his point of landing repeated shots to the head to cause the brain splash for a knockout is a valid one. 

I was really just thanking Tim and opening up a discussion because Tim's method of the straight blast with two short strokes to get the head moving followed by two long shots to try and take the guy out, was definitely new to me and I feel it adds a new dimension to the straight blast.

I find it interesting that most systems emphasize hitting the opponent repeatedly in the head, whether it be palm or fist, and usually hitting first.  As Hock says, "the good stuff knows no one home"

Andrew

Milldog1776

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »

I would have to stand on a ladder to hit Uncle Nicky in the head.

cfadeftac

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

Keith,

I would need a really big ladder, though a cherry picker would probably be better.

Andrew

Milldog1776

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »

On a serious note. Tim is the real deal. I just spent the weekend with him, and watching him thump these guys 30 years younger at will was quite a treat!

As I said to Steve, "Why'd you let that old man hit you like that?". To which he replied, "You try to stop it!"

I know better.  ;D

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39:51 AM »

If i  ever meet Nick Ill bring a step  ladder and a blind  fold-Ill ask Nick to  put on the blind fold and thenclimb up to  hit him-(that is a joke-I am  not  crazy guys)-whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Trainer

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:47:10 AM »

Pffft show can of Fosters to an Aussie and you can get away with anything

Jamie Flory

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 05:56:30 AM »

If he actually put on the blindfold, you could always hit him with the ladder.

rasdj

• Dillon R.
  • Level 2
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 09:17:12 AM »

If he actually put on the blindfold, you could always hit him with the ladder.
surely (and i'm going by pics/training video and anecdotes) that is a sure way to ruin your ladder.  ;D
I exhort you also to take part in the great combat,  which is the combat of life, and greater than every other earthly combat.
--Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »

Trainer...I don't drink alcohol mate...and I don't surf...probably the only Aussie in the world that doesn't do at least one of those things.   ;)

Yer Uncle knuckles
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

PS: Keith "Smart Car" Miller...

I thought we agreed in Kansas City that I wouldn't stand on your head if you wouldn't bite my knee caps???

Yer Uncle Knuckles...
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Milldog1776

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:45:55 PM »

PS: Keith "Smart Car" Miller...

I thought we agreed in Kansas City that I wouldn't stand on your head if you wouldn't bite my knee caps???

Yer Uncle Knuckles...

Agreed.

Download