W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 22, 2018, 04:40:26 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: question  (Read 3420 times)

david

• cqcg-student
  • Level 1
question
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:10:48 PM »

hi everyone, just wanted some insight on this question. who do you guys like better  remy presas style of filipino fighting or dan inosanto?  i mean whos style do you think  might have a better reality style to it? but dont get me wrong i love them both as teachers and as icons.
david stidham

Milldog1776

Re: question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »

Do you like apples or oranges?

david

• cqcg-student
  • Level 1
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:28:39 PM »

apples. to me there better than oranges but they dont have nothing to do with remy or dan.
david stidham

david

• cqcg-student
  • Level 1
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »

i like apples better than oranges but apples and oranges have nothing to do with remy-dan or my question.  by the way good to hear from you keith take care my friend.
david stidham

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »

Sorry-really does not matter who  may or may  not  be  the better-both have a  great deal to pass on to students-teachers of other styles-and to the general public-you know that any student of one or the other will stick up for his instructor-so lets continue on with H2H tactics and general info:whitewolf (el lobo blanco)

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:33 AM »

Both have left an identifiable mark in history for FMA and martial arts in general.  Who is more reality based?  Tough question, but we do know that Remy was actually in those death matches on the Negros Islands.  This is not to take anything away from Dan, as I still feel his mark has changed so many people's lives for the better.

Both these guys are Chiefs; certifiable MFs that go down in history along side the greats.

Out

Joe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 09:01:56 AM by Joe Hubbard »
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »

As Remy would always say when asked the question, which style is better? " It is all the same." Thats why he taught so few drills and patterns as compaired to the other systems and styles. After a while you are repeating the same things, only in a different order. There is only so many ways you can strike, block, and disarm. Each style covers the same thing, just a different approach and or order of operation. I have studied in many stick systems and after  a while, it is all the same. Just done from different distances, midia largo or corto. some use more abaniko others use more follow through. But one thing is for sure. Each style will say the other sucks. Remy would only say " It is all the same." Some are more sport and others take the same and teach it more combative. I've learned from both Remy and Dan. Remy was easier to fallow for me. But once I would see what Dan was Doing, it was easy to fallow him and pick it up.

REDFIVE

Boar Man

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

Who's style of stick fighting did I like better, Remy's or Dan's?
Well to be honest I liked Remy's and Ernesto's systems as whole better than I liked Dan's.

Who is a better comunicator in getting across their system between Dan and Remy?
I would say Dan was (is).

Dan taught a lot of material in a short time frame and would mix in different arts to demonstrate or show what he was trying to teach.  Remy would stay with his art and demonstrate many different varitions or endings to a particular technique and as Redfive stated he would be showing "it's all the same".  Which was confusing for me (Now what are we working on?), I'd get lost trying to remember which ending or technique we were trying to do.  With Dan I'd get confused "Now is this kali, bando, a shoot wrestling TD, or what?"  It was hell taking notes.

What was different between both of them and why I said Dan was a better comunicator was that Dan would explain the principles behind the techniques, he use to instruct on the styles and the history behind the systems he was teahing from, so you felt connected to the material.  Remy was never like that.  In fact since the passing of Remy I believe I have received better instruction in his art than when he was alive.  But I have seen no one in Modern Arnis who is as good as GM Remy, he was the man.

Remy was the real deal, he could in flow drills at a very fast speed press his students while talking and looking at the audience, and at his choosing when the partner touched him respond with a lock, a disarm, a hit, whatever he wanted right out of the blue WHAM, and the exchange was over.

This will probably get me some heat but...  I'd say the difference was Remy's background developed a fighter first and he evolved into a teacher and instructor.  Dan was a martial artist who was also a teacher so he knew how to coach and teach effectively.

Mark

Download