W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 23, 2018, 07:49:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Panantukan  (Read 7163 times)

Wizard

• Level 2
Panantukan
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:32 PM »

So I've been checking out some of Marc Halleck's DVDs, really like the stuff alot.  I do not have an FMA background, but enough of the stuff is overlap so it makes total sense.

Except for...do the panantuken-like entries really work well on a non-complaint partner?  They seem just technical enough, like the inside gunting, to be hard to pull off when that street brawler comes wailing in with strong, wild hooks.

Just a thought, wanted to generate a discussion on the workability/viability of some of the more technical works.

Wizard

Ashblaster

• Level 1
  • No Heaven. No Hell. Just Science.
Re: Panantukan
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:44:22 AM »

I've been training from Marc's DVD's for a while now, my training partners and I pressure test the material in sparring and scenario training. I've found the entries very workable against an aggressive and random attack, especially from the interview (hands up, "I don't want to fight") position.
I have found that the inside gunting, split and outside entries are easy to pull off because even if the randomness of the attack catches you off guard and your hands just instinctively fly up to intercept the attack your arms and the attacker's arms will quite often end up in an approximation of one of those three entries.
I've been able to apply the entries aggressively, in an offensive manner, as well as accidently because in training the entries my situational awareness was increased,  I was able to work from either an outside/split/inside position in a speedier and more effective manner than my opponents because I had drilled those positions- when the random fight/crash that happens in scenarios happened my instinctive positional awareness had been improved.
I've found that this training has made me comfortable with the "crash", the crashing of ranges in a fight, similar to the lineman crash in football. Used to be that I would simply cover and clinch, maybe worked some basic thai clinch with some over/under hooks. Now I do more than cover, I am more able to dictate HOW I end up in the clinch and often at what angle. I am also able to effectively strike on my way into the clinch from punching range, and on the way back out from the clinch. Training the entries helps with working the crash to your advantage, training the Panantukan and Silat drills gives you the ability to flow between close quarter striking and simple, effective throws/sweeps. Even if a sweep/throw attempt fails you automatically return to the elbows/forearm hacks that set up you attempt. I credit training in Marc's program with the development of these skills.

The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:05:23 PM »

That's a cool response, and exactly what I was looking for. 

What you said about crashing/clinching with just covering up and ending in a clinch is exactly what status quo is for me.  It'd be nice to manipulate it more, and I intend on working the material to add to my arsenal.

I hope more people add some thoughts.

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:07:37 PM »

HTFU
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »

Is that the best you can do, there, Rawhide Evil Ninja?  Maybe I could do what you say if you'd freakin' finally send out the Dirty Dozen DVD you promised LAST SUMMER!

Now, do you have any intelligent comments??? :-\

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:05:17 PM »

Wizard,

in that case you need to tell him STFU...(the "S" standing for Speed) or HTFU could be "Hurry the F*** UP"

Nick
Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »

Roger that, there Mr. Hughes!!!

Hey Rawhide, STFU!

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »

Roger that!  :P
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 06:52:03 AM »

Your going to release my evil dozen?! There goes the free world! Oh well, I'll just have to add another chapter to the Super Secret Book.
Who's "Roger"?
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »

Remember, the Evil Dozen is only going to those who were tortured with it at the UC Camp, the select few on a passport to pain.

Roger's my father-in-law, the man who paid me to take his daughter.  What a deal!

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 08:26:53 PM »

Remember, the Evil Dozen is only going to those who were tortured with it at the UC Camp, the select few on a passport to pain.

Roger's my father-in-law, the man who paid me to take his daughter.  What a deal!

wizard,
I know you may have had a great & tough workout at the UC camp last year... Remember you are chatting with Arnold, Professor, Rawhide and some of us others who have been thru probably a little bit crazier event then you went thru.... cut some slack and try to understand those of us with fewer brain cells due to beatings...  ;)
" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 10:01:10 PM »

So,

Honor and respect my elders?  I'm good with that.  I do get some "tough" credit for a tour in Iraq, though, right? 

Based on some of what I've read here, your quote about the brain cells may be quite accurate (and humorous!).   ;D

Wizard

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 05:10:30 AM »

Looks like you're going to have to sign up for another dance class and get a good beating.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

usks1

• Level 4
  • Don't tell me.. show me..
    • U.S. Karate
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »

So,

Honor and respect my elders?  I'm good with that.  I do get some "tough" credit for a tour in Iraq, though, right? 

Based on some of what I've read here, your quote about the brain cells may be quite accurate (and humorous!).   ;D

Wizard

The brain cell issue is usually from the after hours training sessions at the bark & quack.... But a few good raps with rattan to the jug probably didn't help either.

Tour in Iraq = guaranteed tough points.. Thanks for your service.

Back to the cave.

" I see people doing all kinds of crazy stuff.. Eatin razor blades and sh--t.. But I wanna know.. Can he fight?? "

Moses Powell ( RIP ) - The warrior within

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »

Hey Guys,
I am glad everyone likes the material, i tried to make it as street as possible and tried to get rid of the real fancy stuff, but some was left (that i think will work) in to keep the art in tact.
I am working on kick destructions and clinching right now for the next level when hock comes out for the big camp. I will teach a lot of the panantukan as well as the new stuff.
Any feed back or other things you would like to see, how about break outs in hubud?
locking, sweeping, throwing? let me know

Marc

Ashblaster

• Level 1
  • No Heaven. No Hell. Just Science.
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 02:40:11 AM »

Just order levels 7,8 and 9, so it's a bit early to tell exactly what I'd like to see more of. Clinch work sounds good, applying dumog/joint cranks in hubad would be cool, scenarios are always nice. Any low line kicking in the future? I hear the sarong material is adapted for use with a T-shirt, very practical. I am definitely going to try and make it out to Chicago in June to test.
Can anyone give a little more info on Marc's single stick dvd? What the focus is, drills, whatever. Maybe Marc can comment on what his stick progression will be like, I studied Balintawak for a while, lot's of close in counter-for-counter drilling, also some unarmed vs the knife that kind of reminded me of the Silat in Marc's course.
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »

The single stick DVD has about 40 drills, all from inosanto/lacoste/lameco systems, from beginner to advanced and i tried to put drills on that are'nt on other peoples tapes, to tell you the truth off hand i cant list them but i know there is alot of good stuff on thier, the sumbrada tape is the only dvd i have ever seen on subrada, hope to see you and keep the feed back coming

Marc

Download