W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• February 24, 2018, 07:59:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil on a blade theory?  (Read 3106 times)

Blade

• Level 1
Oil on a blade theory?
« on: August 07, 2009, 05:41:21 AM »

Hi,

i hear that some people put oil on the blade. The reason is that the wound can not close and there will be more blood lost!!Did anyone here hear about this theory?

Greetings

whitewolf

• Level 4
Re: Oil on a blade theory?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:52:37 AM »

Blade- sorry never heard about that one-all i know is keep blade clean and the sheath interior also-oh the blade sharp -that helps- WW (ELB)

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 06:00:05 AM »

Sounds like BS to me, what kind of oil? cooking, engine, cod liver, sewing machine perhaps? what happens when the oil rubs off the blade after contact?

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 07:10:21 AM »

I know NOTHING about knife fighting, but my first thought is - how does the oil NOT spread to the handle and screw up your grip?

Also, isn't one of the purpose of bleeding to flush the wound of debris - like oil?

Sounds like a martial arts urban myth to me.

Mark

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 09:49:22 AM »

Canuk i like your sense of humor-WW (ELB)

Eddie Gilbert

• Level 1
  • Member of the Cynicism Society - Yeah... right.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »

"penetrating oil", maybe  ???

Only problem is, you gotta change the oil every 3,000 slashes or you void the warranty.
"If I wanted public recognition, I'd join the friggin' Rotary Club!" - Eddie Gilbert

redfive

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 03:29:09 PM »

Lot of good blades out there are not stainless steal. Then coat of oil keeps it from rusting the blades while in storage or if you carry and get caught in the rain. just like you oil down a gun. The better term should be wipe down the gun or knife. Shouldn't be able to tell there is oil on it even, but its there. My grandfather oiled down all his skinning and hunting knives, after a while the sheaths will actual obsorb the oil and self lube the knives, so you don't have to oil them as much. Most knives say they are stainless but are only coated with stainless. Even my cold steal voyager has some rust spots.
      But as far as combat goes no oil. Maybe some black mamba venom or something like that. Works for Ninjas.

Redfive

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »

Blade what i get is just about  everyone advacates-no god dam oil- ;D-WW (ELB)

Blade

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:54:37 AM »

@all: well...the thing is that they (people in north Africa) believe that when a blade is oiled and cut flesh then the wound will not close easily because of the oil between the flesh  ???
Some of them oil a kitchen knife then wrap for example a newspaper around it and carry it ((Boot carry under the pants)). ???

Greetings

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 06:01:29 AM »

I have also met people that think the world is flat, I think if the oil thing were true then people all over world would be or would have done it. Also the when you consider the natural body oil exuded by a person the whole thing seems a bit off.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »

Oiling knives used to be common before stainless became popular.  Now most knives are stainless.

My first few knives in the early 1980s, like my old Cub Scout and Boy Scout knives, were carbon and had to be oiled.

Many of my fixed blades are carbon, but I generally keep them clean and dry rather than oiling them.  In the past 15 years or so I've mainly just oiled the joints on a few folders.  Coated blades cut down the need for oil.

Since the majority of knives used to be oiled, if there was anything to the theory that oil makes worse wounds, it would have shown up in any knife injuries back before stainless became dominant.  Most knife injuries are self-inflicted accidents, and I'm sure that a number of them were caused when sharpening, and it used to be popular to sharpen knives on stones lubricated with oil.  Many still sharpen that way.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »

hey Ben- lets just start using pancake syrup-that way one could lick the blade clean-
with that lets go on to martial arts info-   ;D--WW (ELB)

Blade

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »

good one whitewolf  ;D . Well...it is just what i hear that some people do and believe of in north Africa.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »

blade- no problem with me-everyone is different- stay  safe  WW (ELB)

Milldog1776

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

Noooooo. Pancake syrup will slow down your slash due to the viscosity of the natural sugars. Molasses, especially in the Winter time would also be a bad choice.

I might however suggest a nice Olive oil infused with white truffle, garlic, and rosemary.

bcorey

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »

I think alot of these type of things get started by the uniformed and/or uneducated, who come to these conclusions in an illogical way.

I was "taught" something very similar regarding knives.  "Folk" logic in the area in which I work says to rub onion or garlic on the knife to make the wound unable to heal.  When I asked how they know this, the answer is along the lines of "my uncle/grandfather said it, and he cut a guy in a fight one time".....

Its a very UN-scientific process that they come to these conclusions.  If a person bleeds alot after you rubbed oil or onion on your blade, does that mean that the oil caused that to happen?  Too many variables....

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »

Dats tasty- ;D WW (ELB)

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:41:35 PM »

two razor blades separated by a match stick.   much more effective than oil.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 09:55:17 AM »

Reading old French history books about assassination brought out that the #1 poison to put on a blade was nicotine extract.  Nicotine is deadly in the bloodstream.
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Download