Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 28, 2017, 04:44:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: James M. Webb & Special Forces Combatives  (Read 61352 times)

Bryan

James M. Webb & Special Forces Combatives
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »

http://www.closecombatinstructors.com/james-webb.htm

I recently got some bad news about James Webb and I would like to see it all get cleared up. For me this dates back many years, I even met one of the teams in Hawaii that was going to Vietnam to help recover bodies and I know he was involved in that.

A few years ago his name started getting thrown around the Internet all over the place involving Special Forces and Combatives. The main person was Tank Todd out of NZ and then Blaise Loong in California. Then all kinds of websites and people not involved in American Combatives seemed to show up with documents from James Webb and his name was mentioned on many websites with all kinds of titles and things that seemed questionable.

The information is he was never Special Forces and never a Ranger, he was assigned to a unit but there are many questions about that. In the latest episode or should I say webisode he has been accused of ripping off POW families and that is a 0 tolerance issue with me or anyone I call friend.

Click The Link For Full Article
http://powwarrior.wordpress.com/2007/12/09/powmia-insider-another-attempt-to-fleece-the-issue/

I really have to wonder, is the Webb family just out to get us?  Althought it has been made clear that the infamous Johnie Webb at JPAC and James M. Webb, a retired investigative team leader who worked on the ground in SEA in both Detachment 1 and 2 from 1989 to 2003, are not related, they both obviously have the same goal – to make a living off of us for as long as they can.

Johnie has a record that those who know the Issue do not need to hear again, and still today he continues to quietly mislead family members and make excuses for investigative shortcomings.  Yet now, we have a new nemesis in James M. Webb.  It would appear that now he has retired from active military service and did a stint in the Middle East, this adrenaline junkie wants to cash in on the POW/MIA Issue, that means cash in on us.   He along with a few others have marketed the following website, http://www.powmiainsider.com/ as “the untold story”.   They have an e-book available, The POW/MIA History 101, which, interestingly enough you can download but not print for easier reading, an instant red flag.  The information in the e-book is nothing new to any of us and unless you are looking for a refresher course, it is old news.  They are also selling, for the low, low price of $29.95 plus shipping and handling, a 3 DVD interview with James M. Webb himself which advertises as “The Untold Story”.   The DVD also eludes to a book that will soon be published, “Last Known Alive”, as well as the JTF-FA Team Commander’s Handbook.

Click The Link For Full Article
http://powwarrior.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/another-con-man-fleecing-the-powmia-issue/

In a previous post I shared my personal views on former JPAC field investigator James M. Webb and his recent attempt to fleece the POW/MIA Issue with claims of “inside information”.  After viewing his first of many money making products, I suspected that Webb was trying to make a quick buck by marketing his insider idea to families and activists.

Little did I know that his plans were on an even grander scale.  I have been made aware of some of the activities of James M. Webb and let me make this clear, he is in the same category as Mike Hearns and Richard/Hadel who was recently exposed by POW/MIA Families.  Webb seems to be escalating his level of fraud on family members.  First, we have the DVD “The Untold Story” which really tells us nothing that we don’t already know.  It was so poorly made and the lack of preparation is more than evident as the DVD goes on.

Now, it appears, that Webb has moved on to more covert operations and is targeting individual families or groups of families with claims of assistance, knowledge of live men and contacts in SEA that can “help” bring out a live man.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:31:39 PM by Hock »

Bryan

Re: James M. Webb & Special Forces Combatives
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:45:35 AM »

Ad from Budo Video

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=23039
Knife Fighting Expert James Webb is a legend in the world of hand-to-hand combat. With over 20 years of military service Webb’s combat resume and battle experience puts him in a class of the elite solider. His, US Army experience includes Special Forces Green Beret Team Leader, Rangers, Airborne, Air-Assault, SERE Survival-Evasion-Resistance-Escape Instructor, Close Combat Instructor to Thailand and Korean Airborne, Liberian Presidential Bodyguard, extensive tours of Vietnam, two tours Iraq, Bronze Star for Valor, and Chief Instructor of his own personal close quarters combat academy based in Thailand. Master James Webb is the real deal and real modern day Samurai. With the release of his new high quality Street Blood, Knife Fighting Self-Defense System men and women can now learn how to use a knife to defend themselves in life or death encounters. All fighting techniques taught by Master Webb have been proven on the worlds bloodiest battlefields so you know they are real and work. Guns are illegal to carry but knifes are not if they do not exceed certain sizes depending on the local laws where you live. They are small, easy to conceal and may be your only escape from severe harm or death if ever confronted with a deranged assailant.

Copy of Email sent to James Joyce that was never responded too in 2003.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19672&page=2

> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Cxxxxxxxxx LTC
> > Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 11:10 AM
> > To: 'jjoyce@specialforcescombatives.com'
> > Ccxxxxxxxx CW3; Pxxxxxxxxx MSG
> > Subject:I'm interested in SF Combatives
> >
> > Mr Joyce
> >
> > I am sending you this e-mail in my private capacity as a member of the Special Forces Association (D-5922, Chapter 7). A lot of interest (to say the least) has been generated here at SWC by the SF Combatives website. It appears that some of Mr Webb's bio is suspicious---several issues come to mind:
> >
> > 1. No record of his attendance at SFQC during the 81-83 time frame.
> > 2. The only James M. Webb that graduated the Ranger course was a ROTC Cadet from Brigham Young Univ. Class 1-77 (James Matthew Webb).
Possibly your associate used a different middle initial.
> > 3. The obvious questions as to why a MI Warrant would attend HALO, SCUBA, SERE or INTAC.
> > 4. No record of him having served with any SMU (service in these units might explain HALO, SCUBA, SERE, INTAC).
> > 5. His status as an "inductee" to the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. His is not listed on the existing Web Site (nor among the 2001 inductees).
> > This may be merely an administrative error (not sure who got
inducted in 2002). I have an e-mail out to the Hall of Fame to confirm his status. .(His confirmation was later DENIED)
> >
> > To avoid people questioning your SF credentials it might help if you provided your Ranger Class number and SFQC attendance dates (believe the web site said you were an 18E). I'll confirm your attendance an dispell any allegations to the contrary here at Bragg.

If we cannot substantiate any of Mr Webb's qualifications I plan on contacting Jimmy Dean (National President of the SF Association) and providing our concerns to him.

> > This is cut/paste from the SF Wall of Shame Wannabe's Web Site:
> >
> > JAMES WEBB: Graduated from high school in 1971, but claims to have been with SOG. That would mean that he would have had to complete BCT, AIT, BAC, and SFTG in a little over a year in order to make it to SEA in order to be assigned to SOG. Highly improbable, not to mention, NO record of any SF assignments were located.
> >
> > Xxxxxx CXXXXXXX
> > LTC, SF
> > Deputy Director Xxxxxxxxxxxx
> > (910) 4xx-xxxxxxxx
> > email: xCxxxxxxx@soc.mil
> >

> 1. This guy is unbelievable. Bottom line. he never attended SFQC, MFF or any other course that I can verify here at SWC. I called the Ranger department on 21 January 03. I am willing to bet that he did not go I cut/pasted this from my 21 Jan e-mail "I contacted the Ranger Department (SFC Sitzler) this morning. Only one James M. Webb has graduated from the
> Ranger Course(a Cadet from Brigham Young--Class 1-77). Other James Webbs may have gone, but only one James M. If we can get his SSN or a firm class date I can check again."
>
> 2. I checked with the MI school and several CI agents I know. None of them know him (I bet he was an all-source Intell Warrant).
>
> 3. His web site claimed that he was a member of the world martial arts hall of fame. That is B.S. We checked the web site. He claimed to have invented the Korean Special Forces Martial Art--what the hell would the Koreans need a gringo to teach them to be Karate-men. He claimed to have been.
>
> 4. No one from 1 SFG can remember him (pretty remarkable for the head Martial Artist in Group). He claimed to have served in Thailand with SF. I checked with several 43rd Co Alumni. No one ever heard of him. One guy (Steve Shoup) brought in his yearbook from the year that Webb claimed to have been in Thailand. He is so secret that we could not find him.
>
> 5. He claims Bronze Stars and tells Vietnam stories don't seem
possible. It may have happened, but I am willing to bet it did not.
>
> 6. He shut his web site down after Phil Provencher, Jeff Dahlby and I began to question his credentials. Tell him to provide dates/class numbers and I will track it down. If he is real I will inform Jimmy Dean at the SF Association, but I bet he does not provide anything concrete. He may be a gifted Karate-man, but I am willing to bet he was never in SF other than working in the Grp/Bn "2" shop.
>
> 7. I have a whole folder (58 e-mails) titled "Wall of Shame" with his stuff in it.

Bryan

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:35:23 AM »

Webb has been around since the 1980s. Perhaps so long (like Spour) that people don't even think to question his background?

I am interested in seeing what proof might come up through POWNetwork? The Beret community is a relatively small one....

Hock

Here's a update, He is now listed on POW Network for ripping off the families of POWs. As far as I know every SF guy that has been contacted has stated they never heard of him. There are no records of him ever being Special Forces other than being attached for a short time in 80s. That's where the trophy picture came from that has been used to promote and sell Webb as Special Forces.

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/list_of_names.htm

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »

Webb has been around since the 1980s. Perhaps so long (like Spour) that people don't even think to question his background?

I am interested in seeing what proof might come up through POWNetwork? The Beret community is a relatively small one....

Hock

Here's a update, He is now listed on POW Network for ripping off the families of POWs. As far as I know every SF guy that has been contacted has stated they never heard of him. There are no records of him ever being Special Forces other than being attached for a short time in 80s. That's where the trophy picture came from that has been used to promote and sell Webb as Special Forces.

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/list_of_names.htm

Isnt this the guy that gave Todd his special forces combat instrucotr status? could be bad busniess if this is the case

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 10:46:35 PM »

Further self-written bio on Jim Webb from his main orgainzation, the International CQB this or that thingy...

<<<<>>>>

US Elite Forces Master Chief. Over twenty years service with the U.S. Army. His qualifications include Special Forces, Rangers, Airborne, Air-Assault, SERE Instructor (Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape), close combat instructor to Thailand and Korean Airborne, Korean Rangers, intelligence agent and interrogator. Chief Webb trained the Liberian Presidential bodyguard unit and worked security for the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

He is a Vietnam veteran and was awarded the Bronze Star for Valor. Chief Webb is currently working the Missing In Action / Prisoner Of War program in Vietnam. He was an instructor and advisor to the Korean Special Forces, assisting them in developing the White Tiger fighting system used by the Korean Special Forces

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is there a list of Bronze Star of valor names accessable?

Hock
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:37:38 AM by Hock »

Bryan

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:54:28 AM »

The Bronze Star is a wild card. I have yet to find any official reference to it anywhere and nobody seems to know anything about it. There are also many questions about him ever being in Vietnam during wartime and exactly what he was doing there if he was there. That's the danger when one gets caught up in one case of fraud, people tend to go back and dig into other stories. In the case of Webb, no good information has turned up, every question just brings up more questions.

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 07:33:10 AM »

Sounds like someone else we know...
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

James Webb has been proven to be a phony.
He never served in the Rangers or Special Forces.
He never served in Vietnam.

His martial arts training/Background is also fabricated.

He was a Military imtelligence Warrant Officer assigned to an SF Unit and was authorized at the time to wear a Green Beret,but he was not SF qualified.

He did work for POW Recovery team and did help bring many bodies home from Vietnam.

He has since ripped off the families of many POW's .

It is said he lives in Thailand and teaches his brand of Martial arts and runs/owns ? a bar there.
Larry Jordan is the REAL DEAL Ranger and Special Forces operator.

Larry was one of my instructors during SFQC Phase One at Camp Mackall .
These men are Chief Instructors under Geoff Tank Todd's organization.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »

As I said on that thread:
Blaise Loong had nothing to do with Special Forces
The James Webb Certificate with 1st SF on it,along with the article and pictures was not authorized,it was just a way to sell BS to the public.

The SF community had heard the stories of Webb's adventures and claims and they did not choose to investigate.
Webb worked for POW Recovery and began to tell his stories as truths to SF members who began to see through his BS.
Families began to complain about Webb's asking and taking money from them and the SF Community decided to look into him.
The fraud that is/was Mr Webb was exposed.

One of those who lead the Investigation was Special Forces CSM (Ret) Lupiack (sp?)
Lupiack was one of the SF Members on the Son Tay Raid and was an Instructor (ret) at the 1st Phase of SFQC telling the troops of the Mission,Training ,Deployment and Ending to the Raid.

Here is a Link to Webb's son in Thailand.
He was a former Muay Thai fighter in thailand on TV.
http://www.thaioasis.com/nightlife/brothertony.php

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »

Wasnt Webb the one that gave Todd his Special forces combat instructor qual? isnt this what Todd built his empire on?

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »

I believe Todd has said that part of his Special forces Qualifications was :
Meeting Larry Jordan ,Special Forces,at Fort Bragg and Mastering Larry's "Dirty Dozen".

Then on to Special Forces Qualifications under James Webb.

As I said when this thread first began,James Webb taught a SELF Created system.
It was NEVER Part of any Special Forces H2H program,it was developed to sell to civilians and Todd was one of the First civilians trained in this made up system.

It is/was all BS and intended to attract civilians not in the know,people who believe it was part of the Special Forces Training programs,which it WAS NOT.

All about trading titles and developing paper trails that mostly lead to Fakes and Frauds or to Real people fooled into taking pictures and handing out paper ,those things are also intended to Mislead and Distort the Truth.

So Webb is a Fake
Never A Ranger,Never Special Forces,Never SERE,Never HALO,Never SCUBA,Never a Trainer to the Koreans,Never given any rankings in any martial art,(except by his friends).
So if he is a Fake and His art is made up,what does it make those who try to cash in on it ?

I think Tod claims much more than Jim Webb's training though.
The Instructor who had the school in which Todd now teaches was his first claim to WWII combat methods.
Then there are Charles Nelson,Rex Applegate,Larry Jordan on and on.
He spent a few days with Nelson,a few days with Jordan,a few days with Applegate ,so when did the training take place for learning from these men ?

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:08:54 PM »

Todd had made the claim that he went to Tailand and met with Webb to undertake special forces hand to hand training, Then ended up as a h2h instructor granted authority by Webb. That was on Todds web page at one point

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »

Yes Canuk,
Todd's claim to have gone to Thailand and Get certified under Webb is still on his site.

Problem is,as said,Webb was not in Special Forces and the H2H he qualified Todd and others in is his own made up BS.

The following are from Todd's site:
"Tank has passed his Special Forces combative instructor qualification course in Southeast Asia and is certified to instruct both the Applegate, Baldock and Nelson systems"

"The ICCIA is headed by Geoff Todd (Tank), a current Special Forces CQB Master Chief Instructor of New Zealand and Lawrence Jordan, a US Special Forces Close Combat Master Chief Instructor. Tank and Lawrence have to ensure the Association is kept elite and its standards are never compromised. "

"Always hungry for more knowledge Tank has been trained and certified up to Master Chief Instructor by some of the modern-day military Master Chiefs of Special Operations close combat as well. These modern-day Master Chiefs include Captain Ben Mangels, a former chief instructor to the South African military elite and police as well as the British elite, US Army Special Forces Master Chief instructors James Webb and Lawrence Jordan."

Webb was teaching his SF Combat qualification
Larry Jordan did not teach or qualify people under that,Larry qualified Todd under Larry's "Dirty Dozen"

If we look at the ICCIA piece we see that Webb has been removed and Larry and Todd now run that org.

Also on Todd's site we see a 2004 seminar in Thailand and Webb is mentioned a s former Chief Instructor ??

Also I believe ,but could be wrong,that Larry Jordan taught his brand of Martial arts to those interested at Fort Bragg and Else where,but I do not think he taught OFFICIALLY as an SF Instructor teaching an authorized SF H2H program.
(he was as I said a SF Phase 1 Instructor at Camp Mackall,but not teaching H2H)
I could be wrong though as Larry  was in many varied aspects of SF and did a lot of High Speed Training.
(this is why Todd was certified at Bragg under Larry's "Dirty Dozen" not under any official SF H2H course)

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 10:39:19 PM »

SO what is Jordans "dirty dozen". Is that just 12 of his most favorite moves? is that an SF thing.  whats the deal? Cause i have a dirty half dozen moves...half teh ptice of Jordans!!!

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »

Larry Jordan's "Dirty Dozen" are 12 techniques he published to cover Most Self Defense needs.
It has nothing to do with Special Forces,other than Larry was in Special Forces,but as said most of his martial arts training and teaching was not SF authorized,(to my knowledge),just a soldier in SF who trained in Martial arts of various types and taught it to his team members and others interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Dirty-Dozen-Techniques-Self-Defense-Situation/dp/1581603177

The description says that Larry was tasked by SF Commanders to develop this,but as we see on the cover it is for civilians not military.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

You Sir, are a mine of information!

Michael Janich

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »

To All:

This thread was forwarded to me by a friend who is very active in Hock’s organization and I felt compelled to jump in. My reason for posting is to set the record straight—as much as possible—with regard to Jim Webb, but more importantly, with regard to the folks that trusted him and now regret it.

I first met Jim Webb (the James M. Webb that is the subject of this thread) in late 1988 when I was still in the U.S. Army and assigned on temporary duty to the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) at the Embassy in Bangkok. I was a Staff Sergeant and Jim came through on a visit, having already come down on orders to be assigned to the unit a few months later. Per military protocol, I afforded him the respect that an enlisted person should a warrant officer.

In late 1989, I was working for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) assigned to the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong. Jim was in Thailand, but frequently made official trips to Hong Kong to interview Vietnamese refugees in the camps there. I was his point of contact to arrange access to the camps, so we typically coordinated our camp visits when he came to town. During those times, we discovered that we had a common interest in the martial arts. He ultimately gave me a set of his first Panther videos on “Special Forces Combatives” as a gift.

Jim explained that, while he was assigned to 1st SF Group, the group was assigned to support security for the Seoul Olympics. The group commander visited South Korea and saw their SF unit training. That unit had developed its own distinctive close-combat system and the group commander wanted to do the same thing for 1st Group. Webb immediately volunteered to head up the project.

Basically, Webb used 1st Group’s discretionary training budget to hire noted martial artists to come in and teach 1-2-week blocks of instruction on their system. He brought in people like James DeMile, Blaise Loong, and I believe Bernie Lau. In the process, Webb “extracted” as much as he could from the programs of each and used that as the basis for his combatives program.

I viewed Jim’s videos and was underwhelmed. They were mostly a rehash of other material and a bunch of bogus sentry-removal stuff. What really struck me as lame, however, were his knife tactics. When he asked me what I thought of the videos, I told him that I thought they were “solid,” except for the knife work. He was offended, and asked me what I thought would be better. I showed him what I was doing with knife (primitive in comparison to what I do now, but at least it was logical at the time) and his eyes lit up.

In 1991, I accepted a job with JCRC and Jim and I were stationed together. Immediately after I arrived on station, he asked me if I’d be interested in partnering with him on a series of Panther videos on knife fighting. I was excited about the possibility of doing the videos and agreed. To make  long story short, Jim’s contribution to the videos was negligible and I realized that he used the project to keep his relationship with Panther alive and make money on my skills. I also learned that Joe Jennings at Panther was the perfect complement to Webb: a liar who didn’t pay royalties and used people to line his own pockets.

After that experience—and the experience of working with Webb on the POW/MIA issue for a while—I realized that he was a scammer and a con artist who used other people’s talents for personal gain. When I learned how he had treated his first and second wives (he was on number three at that time), I had even less respect for him and kept my distance.

During my tour in Thailand, Webb told me that he had a student coming to Bangkok to test for certification in SF Combatives. He bragged that he had created a testing process that would put the student through his paces and challenge him physically and mentally. I later learned that the student, whom I met during his visit, was Geoff Todd. Although I only spent a short time with Geoff, he struck me as a genuine person with a true desire to learn and prove himself. I also feared that Webb had scammed him with his SF program and testing process.

Everyone in our unit had concerns about Webb’s ethics. When he was being considered for promotion, a copy of his military personnel file (201 file) was forwarded to the unit for his review. One of my friends, an Army enlisted man and one of the most talented, straight-up folks with whom I’ve ever worked, had done his first tour in the Army as a company clerk and knew admin stuff inside out. He “borrowed” Webb’s file and reviewed it. Shortly later, he brought it over to me with a photo Webb had of himself in a class “A” uniform. We compared the awards and decorations in his file and his official DOD photo with those he wore on a regular basis. They were not the same and it was clear that he claimed honors he had never earned.

To my knowledge, Webb did complete Ranger school; however, he was never “tabbed” as SF and never went to the “Q” course. His claim of SF was based on having been attached to 1st Group. Being attached allowed him certain dress code privileges, like wearing jump boots with class A’s and wearing a beret; however, he could not wear the SF “flash” or the tab.

After I left government service, I went to work for Paladin Press. Jim regularly sent me and the president of the company book and video proposals and tried to use his acquaintance with me to leverage projects. I vehemently recommended against doing anything with him.

As recently as a year ago, he has had co-authors (he can’t write) of his POW/MIA exposé books contact me about contributing to the projects. I have told every one of them that Jim is a scammer who should not be trusted.

To put it bluntly, Webb is a self-aggrandizing con artist. Although he had reasonable skill as a martial artist and used to be pretty fit, none of that ever came close to making up for his lack of ethics.

The true tragedy of this story (besides Jim’s numerous wives and two kids) is the fact that a number of good, trusting people have had their reputations damaged and impugned by association with Webb. They trusted him and gave him the benefit of the doubt, only to learn the truth much later. Unfortunately, by that time, the damage has been done.

In my opinion, the greatest victims of this guilt by association have been the founders of the International Close-Combat Instructor’s Association (ICCIA), Geoff Todd and Larry Jordan. I have been a member of the ICCIA since the early 1990’s, primarily because of the recommendation of the late Col. Rex Applegate, who was the patriarch of the organization. To be quite honest, for a long time, I was not active in the organization and never did much to support it. I also did not know Geoff and Larry very well. In recent years, my association with them has gotten considerably tighter, and the more I get to know them, the more I respect them. In December 2008, I attended the ICCIA’s convention at Todd’s school in Dunedin, New Zealand. I trained extensively with his students, with Larry Jordan, and with the other active members of the organization. I also had the opportunity to review Todd’s collection of memorabilia from his training, including photos and videos of his training with Charles Nelson, Col. Applegate, and his mentors in New Zealand. With the benefit of that in-depth experience and, in particular, seeing the caliber of Todd’s senior students, I now know for a fact that he and Jordan are the real deal. Like me, they made the mistake of trusting Jim Webb. However, their reputations should not suffer for that error in judgment.

I hope this helps clear the air a bit and give credit, credibility, and blame where it is due.

Stay safe,

Michael Janich

Bryan

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:43 AM »

To All:

This thread was forwarded to me by a friend who is very active in Hock’s organization and I felt compelled to jump in. My reason for posting is to set the record straight—as much as possible—with regard to Jim Webb, but more importantly, with regard to the folks that trusted him and now regret it.

I first met Jim Webb (the James M. Webb that is the subject of this thread) in late 1988 when I was still in the U.S. Army and assigned on temporary duty to the Joint Casualty Resolution Center (JCRC) at the Embassy in Bangkok. I was a Staff Sergeant and Jim came through on a visit, having already come down on orders to be assigned to the unit a few months later. Per military protocol, I afforded him the respect that an enlisted person should a warrant officer.

In late 1989, I was working for the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) assigned to the U.S. Consulate in Hong Kong. Jim was in Thailand, but frequently made official trips to Hong Kong to interview Vietnamese refugees in the camps there. I was his point of contact to arrange access to the camps, so we typically coordinated our camp visits when he came to town. During those times, we discovered that we had a common interest in the martial arts. He ultimately gave me a set of his first Panther videos on “Special Forces Combatives” as a gift.

Jim explained that, while he was assigned to 1st SF Group, the group was assigned to support security for the Seoul Olympics. The group commander visited South Korea and saw their SF unit training. That unit had developed its own distinctive close-combat system and the group commander wanted to do the same thing for 1st Group. Webb immediately volunteered to head up the project.

Basically, Webb used 1st Group’s discretionary training budget to hire noted martial artists to come in and teach 1-2-week blocks of instruction on their system. He brought in people like James DeMile, Blaise Loong, and I believe Bernie Lau. In the process, Webb “extracted” as much as he could from the programs of each and used that as the basis for his combatives program.

I viewed Jim’s videos and was underwhelmed. They were mostly a rehash of other material and a bunch of bogus sentry-removal stuff. What really struck me as lame, however, were his knife tactics. When he asked me what I thought of the videos, I told him that I thought they were “solid,” except for the knife work. He was offended, and asked me what I thought would be better. I showed him what I was doing with knife (primitive in comparison to what I do now, but at least it was logical at the time) and his eyes lit up.

In 1991, I accepted a job with JCRC and Jim and I were stationed together. Immediately after I arrived on station, he asked me if I’d be interested in partnering with him on a series of Panther videos on knife fighting. I was excited about the possibility of doing the videos and agreed. To make  long story short, Jim’s contribution to the videos was negligible and I realized that he used the project to keep his relationship with Panther alive and make money on my skills. I also learned that Joe Jennings at Panther was the perfect complement to Webb: a liar who didn’t pay royalties and used people to line his own pockets.

After that experience—and the experience of working with Webb on the POW/MIA issue for a while—I realized that he was a scammer and a con artist who used other people’s talents for personal gain. When I learned how he had treated his first and second wives (he was on number three at that time), I had even less respect for him and kept my distance.

During my tour in Thailand, Webb told me that he had a student coming to Bangkok to test for certification in SF Combatives. He bragged that he had created a testing process that would put the student through his paces and challenge him physically and mentally. I later learned that the student, whom I met during his visit, was Geoff Todd. Although I only spent a short time with Geoff, he struck me as a genuine person with a true desire to learn and prove himself. I also feared that Webb had scammed him with his SF program and testing process.

Everyone in our unit had concerns about Webb’s ethics. When he was being considered for promotion, a copy of his military personnel file (201 file) was forwarded to the unit for his review. One of my friends, an Army enlisted man and one of the most talented, straight-up folks with whom I’ve ever worked, had done his first tour in the Army as a company clerk and knew admin stuff inside out. He “borrowed” Webb’s file and reviewed it. Shortly later, he brought it over to me with a photo Webb had of himself in a class “A” uniform. We compared the awards and decorations in his file and his official DOD photo with those he wore on a regular basis. They were not the same and it was clear that he claimed honors he had never earned.

To my knowledge, Webb did complete Ranger school; however, he was never “tabbed” as SF and never went to the “Q” course. His claim of SF was based on having been attached to 1st Group. Being attached allowed him certain dress code privileges, like wearing jump boots with class A’s and wearing a beret; however, he could not wear the SF “flash” or the tab.

After I left government service, I went to work for Paladin Press. Jim regularly sent me and the president of the company book and video proposals and tried to use his acquaintance with me to leverage projects. I vehemently recommended against doing anything with him.

As recently as a year ago, he has had co-authors (he can’t write) of his POW/MIA exposé books contact me about contributing to the projects. I have told every one of them that Jim is a scammer who should not be trusted.

To put it bluntly, Webb is a self-aggrandizing con artist. Although he had reasonable skill as a martial artist and used to be pretty fit, none of that ever came close to making up for his lack of ethics.

The true tragedy of this story (besides Jim’s numerous wives and two kids) is the fact that a number of good, trusting people have had their reputations damaged and impugned by association with Webb. They trusted him and gave him the benefit of the doubt, only to learn the truth much later. Unfortunately, by that time, the damage has been done.

In my opinion, the greatest victims of this guilt by association have been the founders of the International Close-Combat Instructor’s Association (ICCIA), Geoff Todd and Larry Jordan. I have been a member of the ICCIA since the early 1990’s, primarily because of the recommendation of the late Col. Rex Applegate, who was the patriarch of the organization. To be quite honest, for a long time, I was not active in the organization and never did much to support it. I also did not know Geoff and Larry very well. In recent years, my association with them has gotten considerably tighter, and the more I get to know them, the more I respect them. In December 2008, I attended the ICCIA’s convention at Todd’s school in Dunedin, New Zealand. I trained extensively with his students, with Larry Jordan, and with the other active members of the organization. I also had the opportunity to review Todd’s collection of memorabilia from his training, including photos and videos of his training with Charles Nelson, Col. Applegate, and his mentors in New Zealand. With the benefit of that in-depth experience and, in particular, seeing the caliber of Todd’s senior students, I now know for a fact that he and Jordan are the real deal. Like me, they made the mistake of trusting Jim Webb. However, their reputations should not suffer for that error in judgment.

I hope this helps clear the air a bit and give credit, credibility, and blame where it is due.

Stay safe,

Michael Janich

Michael, Thank you so much for clearing up this matter once and for all. In the past I defended Jim Webb until I ended up with more questions than answers and nobody associated with him cared to clear up the questions. Later I suspected there was a conspiracy to conceal facts regarding Jim Webb but you have now made a public statement regarding the matter so for me this is case closed.

Geoff Tank Todd, When I contacted you a few years ago you sent me your phone number and asked me to call you. I did not call you and that was my bad, was my mistake. The single issue I have ever had with you was your association with Jim Webb when there were many questions about him. Now that this is cleared up I want to make a public apology to you for anything I have written in the past which put you in the Zodiac with Jim Webb.

I recently saw the pictures of your new knives and they look great. They are based on classic designs and 100% tool, no fancy nonsense as a selling point. I for one am glad you have finally had your name cleared, best regards on your current and future projects.

http://www.fighttimes.com/magazine/magazine.asp?article=845

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »

According to the story mr Janich states that he believes Mr Webb completed Ranger school and or was a Ranger.
Mr Webb NEVER attended Ranger School and was Never Awarrded the RANGER Tab,Nor was Mr Webb Ever a Ranger.
Mr Webb was also NEVER SF qualified nor in Special Forces.
These are facts and was proven by SF members who looked into Mr Webb after his POW/MIA rip off of family members.
One of the Men who has put his name to this FACT is US Army Special Forces CSM (Ret) Lupiak.

Mr Webb is a total fraud.

It is nice of Mr Janich to say that Mr Todd was scammed by Mr Webb but Mr Todd was and is looking for training of any kind that lends to his ability to make claims of special training.
How did he find Mr Webb ?

When the author says Mr Todd is the REAL DEAL,I have to ask REAL DEAL in what ?

The Fake paper work that Mr Todd got from Mr Webb opened doors for him as people BELIEVED that that BS Certificate was some real deal Special Forces Instructor Training Certificate,he knew,Webb knew and others knew it was BS but they all went forward with it.

Mr Todd has training ,but none of it is Military.
Mr Todd says he would have LIKED to have joined the Military,well why didn't he ?
Mr Harry Baldock was the close combat instructor Mr Todd first had ,and it is this school he took over.
Yet Mr Baldock's school was for weight lifting/fitness and wrestling.
Yes Mr Baldock was an unarmed combat instructor but he TAUGHT wrestling,which is what his school was famous for.
How much training was actually done with Mr Applegate ?
How much training was actually done with Mr Nelson ?
Who actually gave Mr Todd his certificate with Mr Nelsons name on it ?
(I know where it came from and it was not Mr Nelson)

Again Webb's BS piece of paper was the door opener.

Pictures and Certificates,many frauds or certificates with name changes on them.

Mr Todd has many Military trainers around him and has training and experiences with Real players but how does that translate to being the real deal ?

Jesse

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »

Just a note, but I can remember as a teenager reading through Black Belt magazine and wishing I had the cash to actually buy some of the "phenomenal" videos that were advertised.  My "Journey" has been extremely short compared to you guys.  A lot of it has consisted of being taught one thing...then someone else showing me exactly why that isn't such a good idea and why something else is more realistic and practical...then someone else explaining why THAT isn't so realistic and why something else is etc....  I'm not ex-military or current.  I'm not a LEO.  I'm just a husband and dad trying to deal with the prospect of being in harms way.  I'm also in a situation where like it or not, I have to judge for myself just like anyone.  That means wading through the muck to do my best to pick the best real operators I can and listen to their comments...which often totally disagree still.  So I have to look for themes that are across the board etc....  I'm going somewhere with this....

I know how easy it was for me to believe that something really was legitimate...especially if the person really believed it was legitimate...or really hoped it was.  It's taken time and exposure to others to really figure my way out of it.  In the process I've become a lot more skeptical, but again it's taken time.  I really can't find it in myself to condemn someone for training with a fraud or seeking out a fraud/misguided individual/wannabe early in their career.  Especially when they've actively continued to do everything they can to grow as a fighter.  In Tank Todd's case it's very obvious that he was doing everything he could to pick the finest brains he could.  In a number of cases he found some people I'd have given anything just to shake the hand of.  He also obviously found some nutters.  So what.  The overall picture is someone who was...and is...trying very hard.  And achieving a ton too.

For my part I'm with Nick now.  I'm still doing everything I can to find other people around here to polish little bits (with his knowledge) like bjj or knife work etc..., but the realism I'm learning is priceless.  Would you condemn me for reading some of Ashida Kim's books as a teenager?  (I did.  I really did!)

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »

I've been a bit suspicious of Todd and the International Close-Combat Instructor’s Association (ICCIA), which he started and runs.

You see a lot of claims of various certifications he has as this or that master instructor award from the ICCIA. The problem is that these awards and certification come from an organization that he founded and runs. He trumpets them quite a bit, so I have to wonder about the validity of them. Its like someone starts his own style of martial arts and awards himself a 10th degree black belt. So to me it seems that he overplays them.

I know people who know Todd and he was indeed certified by the late Charles Nelson in NY. He did visit the late Col Rex Applegate. He also worked as a bouncer in New Zealand.

Bryan

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »

I have been looking into this for years. Now that Tank Todd has dropped all his association to Jim Webb and all that nonsense I do not have any problem with him or anything he is doing. He is writing to his audience, just like we all write to our audiences, not a big deal. He is not making any military claims other than being instructed by some guys when they were old, not a big deal.

Todd is a Kiwi, Kiwis are strange birds. They all talk funny and their winter is our summer. They claim a very small corner of the earth and few outsiders know much of what goes on there. They believe the All Blacks are greatest sports team in the world when most Americans have never even heard of them. When I checked into this a few years ago the single issue I found with Tank Todd was his connection to Jim Webb who it turns out had lied about his service record for so long he had everyone believing it. Its no wonder that someone like Tank Todd who has no access to military records would be taken in by a Army Officer as everyone was. Jim Webb was even wearing fake stuff on a military base fooling Active Military from the stories now coming out about him.

Readers also need to understand their relationship was initiated prior to the Internet so Tank Todd would have not had access to the people he has access to now to sort all this mess out. Its a tough deal to find out someone you consider a friend is a fraud. Todd has now seen the light, has purged as many references to Webb as he can off hs bio and web pages and in my opinion he handled this entire situation as Jai Dee (cool hearted, calm and wise) as was possible.

If people want to continue to bitch about Webb I dont have any issue with that but unless somebody has a specific issue with Todd outside of his already disconnected relationship to Webb this all reads like a bunch of internet police nonsense.

I made my apologies to Tank Todd, as far as I'm concerned he is good to go.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:06:30 AM »

quote Lakersportsfan
"I know people who know Todd and he was indeed certified by the late Charles Nelson in NY. He did visit the late Col Rex Applegate. He also worked as a bouncer in New Zealand."

Todd took some training with Mr Nelson ?
True
Todd was certified by Mr Nelson as an Instructor ?
FALSE

Todd has a certificate,NOT given to him by Mr Nelson and not an original certificate from Nelson with Todd's name on it.
It is SOMEONE ELSES certificate with Todd's name NOW on it.
Todd knows who the original certificate belonges/Belonged to.

When you see the COPY of the Certificate with Todd's name on it Now you know it is BS.

Hock
On the Professional Soldiers Forum you will also find the post in which they sent Mr Webb a letter to clarify their findings of his NOT EVER being in Ranger school and His NOT having EVER been to  the SF Q course,as well as never being US Army Qualified as HALO or SCUBA.

You will find Mr Lupiak's (Retired US Army Special Forces CSM and a Member of the Son Tay Raiders Rescue Team) name as one on the letter.

I like the Todd had no internet access and was fooled bit,lol.
He might not have had internet access but he knew what he was looking for.
How do you think he found Larry Jordan to get a "Dirty Dozen " Certificate from a Special Forces Green Beret ?
How do you think he just happened to find Mr Webb and get a Special Forces Instructor Trainer Certificate ?
Coincidence and trickery,misled and ripped off ?
NO

Do you think Todd should have wondered when he showed up for Instruction and Certification that he was the ONLY ONE and a CIVILIAN to Boot.
WHY would a CIVILIAN THINK They could and or should get qualified as a SPECIAL FORCES Instructor Trainer ?
The intent was to get the Paper and have it said what it says.

That piece of BS was a BIG Door opener.

See I do not have to kiss anyones butt in hopes that they allow me to one day get to attend their little group in NZ and get a BS piece of paper.

Hey BS sells and that is a BIG Fact with all these Fakes.
They have the gift of gab and the BS  fake paper trail with BS titles that mean NOTHING.
Webbs certificate means NOTHING outside of WEBBS group of compliant fakes.

Again :
What makes Mr Todd the REAL DEAL ?
Documents and dojo training ?
Bouncing,yeah that is the qualifier,like being an Israeli Soldier qualifies one to be an expert in Krav Maga,lol.
(Documents he knows and KNEW to be BS,like the Webb Certificate and the Nelson Certificate)
Does that make one a Real Deal to contract to the Military and Police ?

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »

quote Hock
"What a shock to all these guys about Webb.
It goes back to the old Nixon/Watergate question. "When did they know it?"

No one in Special Forces cared about Webb ,that is the way it is,they are not in the business of exposing people making claims of being SF or Ranger until those people cross the line.

Webb crossed the line when he ripped off and or tried to extort money from family members of POW/MIA and people asked to look into him.
Until Webb tried to rip families off he was seen in good light for the work he was doing with POW/MIA's in Vietnam.

If we look at Mr Janich's post the people in his unit looked at Webb's record book and saw Major issues back then,so people knew.

I am sure that Larry Jordan knew that Webb was a fake,as Larry had been around the Rangers and SF for a LONG time.

Many knew ,no one speaks as this is how people make their living,no one wants to take money and food from people's mouths unless they cross a line.

In regards to that Extreme CQB.
I have it and the MAJORITY of it is a load of Crap.

Old PT Instructors telling us how to see body misalignments and assess that for fitness ability ?
What has that stuff got to do with CQB ?

Todd showing the use of a knife into the crook of the arm/elbow against a choke from the rear to get free ?
Why?
If I have a Blade out and available why cut the arm to get free ?
Take an ice pick grip and drive the blade into the thigh,groin,bladder,that will not just get you free of the hold it will,most likely, take the opponent out of the fight.

Webb's knife work on that video is a head shaking as you watch it joke.
He tells you that before you attempt to eliminate the enemy/sentry make sure you take the time to lower your aura,because your aura can be felt and or seen.
What a load .
His work is pure garbage and seems made up on the spot.
Anyone read the qualifications for Todd's Close Combat Association ?
http://www.closecombatinstructors.com/prerequisite-military-close-combat.htm

I would question how many of those people on the Members list have REAL/Actual/LEGIT CERTIFIED Training as MILITARY Close Combat Instructors.
Most have civilian training and then been invited to show their materials and that some how allows them to by pass the requirements ,"which will be verified",lol.
Unbelievable.
What a load .

If they Never Served in any military the ODDS Are they DO NOT Have Legit Paper work.
(How and why would the military take time to qualify civilians when it needs the spaces to qualify Military Instructors?)
Even many of those who served show only civilian qualifications.

It is all a con a joke.
Few are really what they portray,but the stupid masses will sign on.

Like people living on 30,000 dollars a year ,with nothing in the bank or anything to their name starting a millionaires club and Vetting to get REAL Millionaires.
Why would REAL Millionaires Join ?
To have their names on a list with others who MAYBE Legit and to have an Opportunity to network with Other Real Millionaires ?
What do the Poor butt people who started it get ?
Recognition as being in the same circles as the legit Millionaires,or ,as being seen as Possible Millionaires themselves.

The Magic of Perception.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

Mick,
You can probably get James Webb to come to Britain,as he is not traveling to NZ anymore, because he has been discredited as being a fake,lol,and in a weekend get everyone interested to be qualified in his Special Forces Instructor Trainer certification.

They would have to let you join with that right ?
(even though Webb is an outcast)

As thta Certificate is all that many of them have including the Founder.
LOL

Heck you don't even have to have been in the Military,LOL.

when you get to the questions on what unit you were with,who trained you,who the head of the training unit was,what units you taught,just do like the rest and skip those questions.
That certificate is the golden key.

Then guys that served in the Military and then worked as contractors could then be recognized in the WORLD as the REAL DEAL,LOL.

What a bunch of BS

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:39:24 PM »

quote Lakersportsfan
"I know people who know Todd and he was indeed certified by the late Charles Nelson in NY. He did visit the late Col Rex Applegate. He also worked as a bouncer in New Zealand."

Todd took some training with Mr Nelson ?
True
Todd was certified by Mr Nelson as an Instructor ?
FALSE

Todd has a certificate,NOT given to him by Mr Nelson and not an original certificate from Nelson with Todd's name on it.
It is SOMEONE ELSES certificate with Todd's name NOW on it.
Todd knows who the original certificate belonges/Belonged to.

When you see the COPY of the Certificate with Todd's name on it Now you know it is BS.

Jim,

I have a friend who is retired from the NYPD who studied with Nelson a long time.  Todd was indeed certified by Nelson to instruct in his system.

You are thinking of some Marine Corp certificate of Nelson's that someone else gave Todd that Todd claimed he was given by Nelson himself.

There's been a lot of claims and arguments over Todd.  He has a habit of embelishing.  But I do know that he travelled to train with Nelson for a week at a time on several occasions and was indeed certified to teach the Nelson system.

Jim, you are right in that tape Extreem CQB from Paladin was extremely bad in the techniques covered.

Mick Coup

• Level 1
  • Peasant
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 03:33:22 AM »

A friend of mine with a very credible and highly valid military background is an instructor within Geoff Todd's organisation, and I trust his favourable opinion of Geoff's material.

My only issue is with those requirements, not because I want membership but because they are nonsense to be honest!

Creating a 'qualifcation' and then insisting that everyone has it?  Making a big deal to point out that martial arts and combat sports qualifications are not recognised - regardless that the material is identical, and that yet again someone is trying to establish 'military combatives' as a seperate and distinct 'style/system' that has a special following of tightly-controlled 'enligtened' types?

All this argument over 'lineage' cracks me up - everyone desperate to prove that they do 'real combatives' and that others are fakes...what does it matter?  Unless you are a historian or researcher, isn't it all about the now and next?  

I believe there is a huge case of 'the older it gets, the better it was' when it comes to this material.  Am I the only person not impressed by the footage of Fairbairn and Applegate in action, complete with 'Green Hornet' masks?  Objectively - two supposed 'titans' of the genre don't seem to possess, or display at least, any particular skill in the very basic methods they are attempting to showcase?

Now since I have no 'lineage' tracing my training back through Nelson, Pilkington, Styers et al, I suppose I can't teach this precious 'combatives' stuff as it just isn't the genuine article - whatever this actually is...someone is in for a big awakening should they put that point to me in person...

Combatives is an adjective, not a fucking noun!

Mick
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 05:41:51 AM by Mick Coup »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »

Lakerssportsfan.
Believe who and what you want.

I know the truth and have told it as I know it as I know who gave Todd the Certificate and I know whom the ORIGINAL Certificate (that was copied) Came from,and it was not Mr Nelson.

As Mick Coup Says who cares about Correct Lineage .
(as there is none needed in Non Traditional Self Defense teachings)
The test is does it REALLY Work and allow the practioner the ability to survive a Real Encounter,(this out weighs lineage).

My point is that a statement was made that Todd is the Real Deal and I asked How and what makes him the Real Deal.
I pointed out that it is TODD'S Claim to lineage that MANY say makes him legit.
I pointed out that if that is the case then if the Webb Certificate is BS,(which it is) and the Neslon Certificate is REALLY someone elses,(which it is) then what is left to qualify him?
Years of Training?

Is it claimed lineage and titles from bogus  men and fake certificates ?
Is it from Real Training  as a member of the Police or Military ?
Is it from being a doorman/bouncer ?
WHAT is it ?

If people say he is the Real Deal what is the method used  to measure this and claim it .
(again like the what is a Warrior thread)

You have people on here like:
Hock ,Nick Hughes,Joe Hubbard,Mick Coup,Brian S,White Wolf and many ,many more (that I/we all do not know their backgrounds ) who are the REAL DEAL and have put it on the line in the Military,As Contractors,as Police Officers with combinations of these QUALIFIERS and or all of these Qualifiers.
They have trained and tested and come up with Training that works based on REAL WORLD Testing and ASSESSMENT.

Some one Please tell me what makes Todd the REAL DEAL to so many,to many who even exceed this guy in Real World experience and Martial Art/Self Defense training,or as compared to the qualifications of the men listed above plus the many ,many others not listed ?

Even if all the certificates were legit ,does a collection of certificates with no real world experiences make one a REAL DEAL ?

Please let's get real on our hero worship.
Real Deals are Doers not Viewers
Real Deals have Experiences over Theory.
Real Deals have Experience over lineage as their selling point.
Sorry Todd does not  fit those qualifiers.(to me anyway)

lakerssportsfan

• Level 2
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:42 PM »

Lakerssportsfan.
Believe who and what you want.

I know the truth and have told it as I know it as I know who gave Todd the Certificate and I know whom the ORIGINAL Certificate (that was copied) Came from,and it was not Mr Nelson.

Actually you don't know.  You can ask Ralph G if Todd is certified to teach the Nelson System.  He knows him from training there.

My friend had trained with Nelson longer and knows Todd to be certified by him.

How many times did you train with Nelson, Jim?

Todd may exagerate some things, but being certified by Nelson is not one of them.

As Mick Coup Says who cares about Correct Lineage .

Obviously you do because you are making a big deal about it.

My point is that a statement was made that Todd is the Real Deal and I asked How and what makes him the Real Deal.

No, you made claims about him not being certified by Nelson, something that I know not to be the case.

Todd is a perfect example of something that is wrong in the martial arts and self defense world.  He is a competant teacher and has a decent background but because he has a tendency to exaggerate and overplay some things, he becomes known for his exagerations rather than his actual skills and background.

A perfect example of this is the fact that he trumpets that he is ranked as a master instructor by the internationl close combat instructors whatever, which is an organization that he founded and runs.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »

Lakerssportsfan
Actually I do know.
You are the one who is mistaken.

Why would you ask me to ask Ralph G about Todd ?
Why would you think I would know him ?

Is Ralph your friend ?
or
Someone else?
As the following is confusing.
Did your friend train with Nelson longer than Ralph ?

quote Lakerssportsfan:
"You can ask Ralph G if Todd is certified to teach the Nelson System.  He knows him from training there.
My friend had trained with Nelson longer and knows Todd to be certified by him"

If you knew Ralph you would already Know the answers.

If I may suggest:
You contact Ralph,ask him to tell you the True story.
Ask him:
Who the Certificate belonged to ?
Did Mr Nelson give the certificate or some one else ?
How many times Todd Actually Trained with Nelson ?
Ralph is THE guy to ask .

If Ralph is not your friend are your friends initials PG ?
If so he knows the TRUE Story VERY well,and Knows the person who gave Todd the certificate VERY VERY WELL.
He might not be as likely to tell the Real story though.

Hey but Todd says he was certified as an Instructor under Mr Nelson on the First day he arrived at the school,right ? lol.
He also says he was certified when he last visited Mr Nelson in Arkansas.
He was certified twice right?
So he has two certifcates on display then?

I wonder why on his site Todd goes into explaining the following:
Charlie hardly gave out certificates,but would when asked.
The certificates were pre signed
The numbers on the certificates were 1 and 2.

I have seen other paperwork from Mr Nelson and they show a written in student Name,a date and a written in signature.
Hey but I guess if,as Mr Todd states on his site, that "Charlie hardly gave out certificates,but would when asked",then perhaps he didn't care about signing them as he did other certificates.

I never had opportunity to train with Mr Nelson,I wish I had.
My fathers partner did and showed my father, my brother and I some stuff ,but that is not Mr Nelson and that is about 44 years ago.

How many times have you trained with Mr Nelson  Lakerssportsfan ?

Again,my point is that Todd is said to be the REAL DEAL.
Real Deals are more than Paper certificates of people they trained with.
They are men /women of experience in the Real World,not in the world of theory.

So if Todd is the REAL DEAL Based on Certificates ,what if they are BS ?
Again Webb's certificate is BS and that was the door opener for Todd.

Imagine Todd was certified under Webb in a Day, or two at most.
(to certify as a Special Forces Instructor Trainer)
He was certified under Jordan in a day
He was certified as an Instructor under Nelson in a Day.
Unbelievable.
Yep not a guy looking for certificates,but looking to REALLY learn an art or style,LOL.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Download