W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• July 16, 2018, 11:23:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: collapsable baton trainig question  (Read 5678 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
collapsable baton trainig question
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:43:05 AM »

Sense I am not around anyone who trains in the use of the sticks my question is this.
When training with a baton is it better to learn the complicated stick usage or just learn the basic defense against a person with a knife or even unamred using my baton?
I have been working with my students and we just practise disarming-i also am working on blocking the 12 positions from Hock clock-dont have the $ right now to buy his cd,s
maybe in the future though.-thanks WW

seldomseen

• Level 2
Re: collapsable baton trainig question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »

WW,

I would always recommend sticking with the basics.

One often overlooked element is practising the "quick draw" from different carry positions. And then once the baton is out, practising "power" strikes.

I think if a student can access the weapon quickly, and then swing the baton with power, they will be heads and shoulders above those that practice 20 different disarms, most of which won't work in a dynamic situation.

Jason

metz57

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:42:37 PM »

I went to a weekend rapid arnis seminar a few years ago. We spent a couple of days learning cool and fancy tricks. Being a beginner at the stick, I spent most of my time scratching my head and trying not to take my own eye out. There was a group of people there who were going to try for their black belt on the Sunday afternoon and I was in awe of their skill and the ease at which they could pull off these complicated drills and cool tricks.

Sunday afternoon came round and the grading started. They really were put through the ringer. They went through all the patterns, flow drills and their skill was a joy to watch. What surprised me at the time was when it came to the full contact fighting, none of them used any of the cool tricks or complicated moves we had practiced all weekend, (and they had been practicing for years). The way they were fighting looked much the same as I, a beginner would of been fighting after just learning the basic striking angles.

Iím sure there are gifted people out there who can do all those cool tricks in a real fight and Iím full of admiration for their skill. But, I decided that unless I was going to dedicate my life to stick training (and I wasnít) then Iíd be better off sticking to the basics and learning to do them well. That has also been my attitude towards the other forms of fighting too.   

Metz

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:57:55 PM »

Seldom and metz- you make god sense- thats why i just practise over and over hocks 12 positions with my baton/and hand-arm strikes-i fully agree that under stress-one just goes for basic power moves- you are oving fast and i guess the mind does not compute the drills- you just defend...... sty  safe WW

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »

Basic and advanced are confusing words...

Basic:  Those things that YOU know.

Advance:  Those things you don't know.

Good fighters will use more complicated basic moves.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »

Thouht i would throw this in- over the past couple weeks i have gone over hocks new knife book and working with the sanareos shown-but i substitute a collapsable baton for the knife-some of the strikes i skip though-but many fit right in.

WW

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »

I don't like them, they are over engineered i.e they won't open first time when really needed. But mostly because you are limited with two hands on the stick skills. They are to thin. If they make a baton that is a baton and not a thin steel rod I'd be happy.
Anyway just me I'm picky.   

WTAC

• Aaron Warren
  • Level 2
    • WTAC Training
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:24 PM »

Sense I am not around anyone who trains in the use of the sticks my question is this.
When training with a baton is it better to learn the complicated stick usage or just learn the basic defense against a person with a knife or even unamred using my baton?
I have been working with my students and we just practise disarming-i also am working on blocking the 12 positions from Hock clock-dont have the $ right now to buy his cd,s
maybe in the future though.-thanks WW

Train them to access and deploy it quickly. And to swing it correctly and do max damage with each strike.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:09:01 AM »

Your right...as I said I'm picky. I just hate anything with moving parts. I like very simple.....because I'm a Jinx. If it can go wrong it will go wrong when I'm around.
I'm a very bad person to go to the track with !
It's like this if a thousand enemy soldiers surrendered, I would get the one bloke who wanted to make a fight of it.
I've seen people use them very effectively. I've seen people struggle with them.
I'm like Neanderthal Man give me a club and I'm happy.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 06:05:21 AM »

Weby-first it depends on the type baton you select-i dont like spring loa types-
the one i carry was made in europe of hardened steel and when i flick it it comes out very fast-
i have been practising with it a lot and using the clock blocking angles of hock it
worls well-i teach a police officer and using it to defend and attack-works good
i just got a new MP from ft campbell and will be working with him also
although therre are many out there who are more proficeint than i my advice is
stick to basics and learn to apply them with speed and power and u will not go wrong
WW

Bonz

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »

I had trained JKD in the 80's with an instructor that went on to take 3rd in the Philippines in a "world" competition. He taught some interesting, intricate moves, but he constantly emphasized the basics of striking hard, fast and moving. I learned the hard way, with many "kali marks" to emphasize Keep It Simple.

Another question from the newbie . . . I'm looking at purchasing an ASP, what would you recommend?
"Semper Gumby" = Always Fexible

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »

you cannot purchase the kind i have here in the usa-i really dont know-the others here can give a better answer-i baught mine in kuwait and had to get registered from the kuwaite police befoe buying it-i showed it to a special forces frien -he gave it a thumbs up-WW

Download