W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 20, 2018, 11:18:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Darren Laur's Latest.  (Read 7050 times)

noload

• Level 4
Darren Laur's Latest.
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »

Hock's note...
(Darren Laur. Funny, he has listed the latest and newest books that I have featured on my pages for years...
Not to mention reworking the articles I have written on the very same subjects in the last four years. Even the obscure one adding "Freeze" to the F's. (By the way Tonic Immobility is not officially considered a freeze factor for a technical reason, says experts I have interviewed. EVEN the BOO! book. All in my articles page!  And my blogs. MY! WHAT a great coincidence! So...your welcome, Darren. Keep your eyes peeled here for the latest in my books and ideas.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darren writes....
Fear, the “Freeze, Flight, Fight, Fright” Response, and Habituation

In 2002 I wrote an article called, “The Anatomy of Fear and How It Relates to Survival Skills Training” In 2004 I wrote two companion articles called, “A Follow-up to the Anatomy of Fear” and “Fear as Your Ally” that can be located at:

The foundation of these three articles was that if as motor skill combative instructors we could get a functional grasp on the mechanisms behind the physical, psychological and emotional responses to how our fear circuitry works, when faced with a real world threat stimuli, then the better we could predict how we “may” react and therefore teach combatives skills that are congruent with the fear circuitry, and in the process incorporate coping mechanisms (physical, emotional, and psychological) that could help inoculate (habituate) one in a desirable manner giving us a tactical advantage. Research has shown that once our body alarm system is triggered by a threat stimulus, it can also become a threat in its own right, commandeering certain parts of the brain and body in ways that are beyond conscious control; not allowing us to sometimes transition certain motor skills learned, leading to hyervigilance (fright).

It has now been eight years since my first article on this topic, and since that time, research into the physical, psychological, and emotional responses to the fear circuitry has progressed by leaps and bounds. The biggest discovery has been in the area of the “Low Road” and “High Road” response (that I talked about in my original article on the Anatomy of Fear in 2002). It was once thought that both the low road and high road followed their own distinct neurological pathways, but current research has shown that rather than working separately, both do work congruently with one another, albeit measured in microseconds.

The “low road” which is triggered by a spontaneous unexpected threat stimulus via any of our sensory modalities (sight, sound, smell, touch, and taste), is the body’s first line of defence to an immediate threat. Here, the brain will take control of the body with an immediate “protective reflex” or “startle reflex” (downloaded directly to the brain stem where all of our reflexive responses to danger are stored). These reflexes are lightning fast, but undirected to potentially hazardous changes in the environment. Some of these reflexes include but are not limited to:

• Bringing hands up to protect your head
• Crouching
• Turning of your head
• Pulling away
• Jumping, blinking, or vocalizing
• Striking out
• Dropping or flinging something that had been held
• Being stopped in action or thought
• Releasing an action that had been held in check
• Unintended speech
• Matching behaviour to the threat
• Obedience

What science has now also learned however, is that not only may the above noted automatic patterns of behaviour take place without waiting for involvement by the conscious mind, but other learned motor skills that are congruent with what the low road elicits physically, psychologically and emotionally, can also be trained, learned, stored, and used. This scientific fact is important for us instructors to understand.

Now for the “high Road”; unlike the low road, the “high road” is where action can be based on conscious will and thought. This path is controlled by the frontal cortex of the brain. This pathway appears to take effect during “progressive” types of fear stimuli, but it also reviews information sent directly to the low road, analyzes it in more detail, and if it determines that no immediate threat is present, it will tell the low road to quiet down. Here a combatives student will be able to apply stimulus/response type training using the OODA model. The high road is the slowest of the two fear alarm circuits. Not until the frontal cortex processes the threat signal does it enter our consciousness, a process that can take at least a half second, a time delay which could sometimes mean the difference between life and death. The extremely important point to remember here is that the high road is slow. By the time we even become conscious of an immediate threat, the low road might have already taken action to deal with it.

Current research has now shown that when confronted with a spontaneous threat stimulus; both the low road and high road responses become co-ordinated. A vigorous low road response is crucial for survival, but it is just as dangerous to have a low road that’s too active. When the fear response amps up too high (physically, psychologically, and emotionally) performance starts to deteriorate. To maintain the balance between too little fear and too much fear , the low road and high road work together to balance each other out when needed. The low road is the unconscious excitatory component and the high road is the conscious inhibitory component when it comes to survival.

In the grip of severe violence however, the low road is often incapable of deliberation and reason. Having said this, the low road does have its own logic, a simplified set of responses to an immediate threat. In some of my past writings, I mentioned three of these responses (fight, flight, hypervigilance) what research has now uncovered is that there are in fact at least four kinds of defensive reactions that the low road will trigger; “Freeze, Flight, Fight, and Fright”

Freeze: (attentive immobility)
You are walking along in snake country and you hear a “rattling” noise and look down and see what you believe to be a snake. First thing most people do hear is freeze. This in generally considered the first stage of the fear response, because it tends to occur when the threat is at a distance or not yet aware of your presence.

Flight:
As you standstill because of the freeze response, you now see the snake approaching you, so the next thing you do is remove yourself from the threat. The now sudden movement of the snake towards you has broken your attentive immobility (freeze) and got you to move away.

Fight:
If you have no avenue to escape, and the threat becomes omnipresent, most will now take physical countermeasures (fight) to stay alive. Sympathetic overdrive has now clicked in allowing one to be capable of totally uninhibited, blind violence.

Fright (hypervigilance/quiescence):
When flight or flight is futile, one becomes caught in the downward spiral of hypervigilance/quiescence, here the sympathetic response has been knocked into warp speed, and the parasympathetic system now also swings into overdrive causing inaction. The instinct here is to become immobilized in the grip of fright.
So how can we maximize our performance under survival stress when the fear circuits are engaged, so that we go flight, fight, and sometimes freeze rather than fright?

Train Habituation

What some trainer including myself call “stress inoculation” is actually known in psychological terms as “Habituation”. In layperson terms, habituation means that you become physically, psychologically, and emotionally used to things. Research has now found that when you expose yourself to a fear response stimulus and no harm ensues, your high road modifies the low road systems response to that threat stimulus. Trainers need to understand however, that merely exposing students to fear stimuli is not sufficient for proper habituation. The most effective way is to experience the stimulus frequently and steadily. The low road system is a slow learner, so habituation to a strong fear stimulus can take a long time. The key here is repetition. Experience through realistic stimulus response based training (once a combative skill set has been overlearned) increases experience and builds confidence and reduces the “newness” of the fear stimulus to the low road.

Here are some other strategies to overcome the Fright response:

1. Skill Confidence:

• This takes place through both mental and physical training

2. Visualization (mental imagery)

• Commonly known as “spinal tuning” we now know that the upper part of the spinal column holds a short-term memory.
• This is one reason why I have taught our Victoria Police Department’s Emergency Response Team (ERT) to visualize both their plan “A” strategy and plan “B” strategy as they are enrout to their target.
• Remember that the mind cannot easily tell the difference between fantasy and reality. The more one uses mental imagery, the more one becomes spinal tuned to deal with the task at hand.
• As a certified hypnotherapist, I use the science and art of hypnosis and Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) to pre-program stimulus/response issues directly into the subconscious, specific to combat performance. Not only have I have seen a DRAMATIC increase in combative performance in those students in which I am using hypnosis and NLP, but I am also experiencing about a 50% decrease in the amount of time needed to make a student unconsciously competent in the skill set taught, when compared to those who I have not conducted this type of training. In fact, I truly believe that hypnosis and NLP specific to combatives, will be the next nexus in training.

3. Breathing

• This skill has been used in the martial arts for thousands of years
• Known as autogenic breathing
• One wants to breath in through their nose for a three count, hold for a two count, and then breath out through the mouth for a three count. Studies have found that if a person was to do this for a 3-cycle count, it decreases one’s heart rate up to 30% for up to 40 seconds.
• I have also taught this skill to our department’s ERT team. While they are doing their spinal tuning, they are also conducting autogenic breathing drills at the same time. Our ERT team has conducted a lot of empirical and “real world” operations where they placed heart monitors on team members that have proven this de-escalation in heart rate does take place.

4. Value Of Life:

• In our society a person’s life is considered to be precious. In fact, most of our morals and laws are based upon protecting oneself and others against serious injury or death.
• In a self defence situation, one may have to seriously injury or even kill another human being.
• Although a reality, many people involved in combatives training have not “really” internalized or even thought about this. Because of one’s “belief system,” to kill or seriously injure another person is as foreign to them as committing suicide.
• If one does not come to grips with this issue one will fail to act in such a situation

5. Belief In Mission / Task At hand:

• If you do not believe in the mission or task at hand, or if the risks outweigh the ultimate benefit to you/society, you WILL hesitate in combat
• One who hesitates in combat, will usually levitate (12 feet under or be seriously injured)

6. Faith System:

• You do not want to go into combat without having things resolved
• Both the ancient samurai and the kamikaze’s during WWII understood this important rule
• Even in our modern times, there are certain special warfare teams around the world that are allowed to make peace with their deity prior to mission
• A strong faith system, whatever that faith system may be, MINIMIZES the fear of dying. As a graphic example of this, look at the events of September 11th and how the terrorists were not afraid to die and thus were able to carry out their mission. Also, look at what is happening in the middle east right now with suicide bombers!
• Remember, combat is not the place for you to be making major adjustments to your belief system. You need to be concentrating on the task at hand and nothing else. Not to do so places you in jeopardy.

7. Training:

• Training for combat “must” be gross motor based. Why? Because we know that during combat, SSR will negatively affect fine/complex motor skill performance no matter how well trained!
• For any skill taught, there must always be a plan “B” abort strategy conditioned as well. We must not be teaching multiple defences (responses) to a specific type of attack (stimulus).
• Instructors should always teach a new technique in slow motion. Why? It allows the student’s brain time to observe the technique and begin the “soft wiring process” which becomes “hard wired” through physical and mental training in conjunction with repetition, as long as it is gross motor skilled.
• These skills should be trained over and over again until they have been completely automatized, or what is called “overlearned” which produce a motor skill set that are resistant to all but the blindest panic.
• Students should be allowed to gain proficiency in the combat motor skill BEFORE stress (habituation) is added to the learning environment. Studies have found that bringing in survival stress before a motor skill has been fully automatized yields poor results, since high survival stress shuts down the high road before the skill has been transferred to the low road.
• All physical skills should be chunked or partitioned into progressive steps, rather than taught all at once. Many instructors when teaching a physical technique will have the students practice the entire technique from beginning to end when first learning the specific skill set. This is a huge mistake. Remember that the brain first learns in pictures and through modeling. By teaching a technique from A to Z all at once, the student may not fully develop the proper and full “mental picture” needed to perform the technique properly which usually leads to frustration by the student. Teachers, coaches, and instructors must insure that the student understands step A fully, then move onto step B. Once step B is understood move on to step C and so on. By doing this, frustration goes down, while confidence and skill level go up.
• Once the skill sets are learned, they must now be applied in dynamic training with imagination and emotion in order to make the stimulus/response training as real as possible. Again, the more the real the training, the better-prepared one becomes for the reality of the street (Habituation).

8. Exercise, have a good diet, and get enough rest:

• Studies have found that that those who do well under survival stress are significantly superior in all-round psychological health, AND bodily fitness including a good diet.

9. As much as possible, keep your day-to-day life free of stress and anxiety, and ramp up your sympathetic nervous system only during training and exercise.

10. Always Remember That Proper Pre Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance:

• No matter how well you have trained, habituated, exercised, or slept to prepare the high road for battle, there will be times that the threat stimulus and fear circuitry will be so intense that the low road will shut down the high road. You may become what I have called “combatively stupid”, and the danger here is that if one does not get challenged, fright (hypervigilance/ quiescence) is a real possibility.
• Remember that when under high stress our working memory and cognitive focus shrinks and narrows.
• One way to overcome these memory and cognitive challenges and make effective decisions and translate them into action is through simple rules of thumb that psychologists call “heuristics”. If this happens then do this. No complicated cognition or subtle judgement is required. If our plan “A” strategy fails, then here’s the plan “B” abort follow up strategy.

So what can we as Instructors, coaches, and teacher do to incorporate the most current research in the field of Fear as it relates to Survival Skills Training?

• Absorb the above noted information and research it yourself
• Seek out instructors, coaches, trainers that are using this research in their training. You will be surprised that there are few that do.
• If you cannot attend courses from the above mentioned, look at what you are doing in the area of self protection and ask yourself, is my training “congruent” with the above noted information, if not change what you are doing
• Train on the concept of “commonality of technique.” The initial plan “A” strategy that I use in an unexpected spontaneous assault (be it armed or unarmed), is no different than in an attack that I do see coming. Why, because no matter if the brain goes “high road” or “low road”, my “congruent” gross motor skills will work in both paths. This is a definite tactical advantage.
• Understand that although the “low road” reflexive motor responses cannot be changed, they can be “moulded” to fit a combative motor skill technique that is useable during a spontaneous attack. I use the Somatic Reflex Potentiation response, which I call “penetrate and dominate,” in all my programs.
• Fortunately, there are methods of reducing fear and controlling the fear circuitry so that we can harness it in a desirable, rather than an undesirable manner, physically, psychologically, and emotionally.

As I stated in my other articles, I am not a doctor or Neuroscientist, but I have been studying combatives for the past 24 years. Since 1992, I have been using training techniques based upon the above noted information, not knowing that I was doing so. In the past, my training was based solely on my empirical research here at the school, and what was happening to officers, civilians, and students in the real world. The information in this post has once again solidified my belief that what I am doing (and have been doing for years) in the area of combatives is correct. This belief is not only based upon my empirical research over the past 24years, but as reported in this article, the scientific research as well.

The field of Neuroscience, specific to fear and motor skill performance, is constantly evolving. Any true “Street” combative system or style, should keep abreast of these new discoveries, and integrate them into training to make their survival skills more street applicable.

Knowledge and the understanding and application of that knowledge is power.

Darren Laur

References for this Posting:
• The Science of Fear by Danniel Gardner
• The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge
• Extreme Fear, The Science of Your Mind In Danger by Jeff Wise
• The Survivors Club, Secrets and Science that Could Save Your Life, by Ben Sherwood
• The Hidden Brain, by Shankar Vendantam
• Motor Learning and Performance by Richard Schmidt and Craig Wrisberg
• Boo !!!!! Culture, Experience, and the Startle Reflex by Ronald Simons
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:22:00 AM by Hock »

noload

• Level 4
Re: Darren Laur's Latest.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »

The biggest discovery has been in the area of the “Low Road” and “High Road” response (that I talked about in my original article on the Anatomy of Fear in 2002). It was once thought that both the low road and high road followed their own distinct neurological pathways, but current research has shown that rather than working separately, both do work congruently with one another, albeit measured in microseconds.

Glad to see Darren growing and moving in the right direction, but who believed that the high and low road didn't work together?

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:29 PM »

I like and have liked Darren's writings for years.

The above writing of his can be summed up by
Train in as close to Realistic a manner and situations as Possible to become used to threat and response.

All the other stuff about
Visualization
Breathing
Value of life
Faith
 These all are found and over come with as close to Realistic training applications as possible.

People are making way more out of fight training than needs to be made with all this medical and psychological linkage mumbo jumbo.

Get up off your butt and train, train in as close to reality as possible and you will be inoculated to fear and stress.
You will be able to function in a real threat.

When you were a kid you got up in front of class and you were in fear,
You did it a few times and the fear was gone .
Were you inoclutaed to the stumli of Fear and stress ?

When you first got behind the wheel of a car,you had fear.
After a few sessions you became at ease with the mind and body mechanics of multi function ,simultaneous,capabilities and you drove.
Now you eat,drink,read a map,listen to the radio,talk on the phone ,talk to others in the vehicle and Drive at the same time.
Were you inoculated to the fear and Stress ?

No you did the actions and performed until it became habit.

Who sat and visualized about getting up and speaking and had it ACTULLY turn out the way you envisioned it ?

How many went into the driving test having visualized for hours or days on how to drive and had the test be as envisioned ?

Breathing:
We breath all the time,even when we are asleep or unconscious.
Yet now we must train to breath a certain way to function in conflict ?
When you train hard and realistically you will breath and bretah fine.

Sit ,breath and visualize and see if that reduces your need to get on the mat by 50%.
Cut your training by 50%,use NLP and let us know what happens in a week or two when you train get back on the mat and train in a Realistic fashion ,lol.
After that on a regular basis I would love to see how many feel they accomplish more with less physical and more mental visualization ?

Just DO what it is you want to be good at and it will all work out.
For this example ,on this forum,it means TRAIN,and train hard.

My opinion with no medical or psychological predisposed needs

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:40:01 PM »

Wow= heavy stuff here-ill just agree with JimH,s comments- its a lot easier than attempting to grasp all the information presented- even though it may make sense i go for the KISS way to learn to protect them selves.

I did like the way it was presented that training should be taught step by step till the
student understands the tactic- then -do it in continuing motion (retsuv) and do from start to finish.
ww

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:34:51 PM »

Plagiriaist-thats Darren   ------another one for Hock the gipper--go get um Hock...
How can authors write down information that they know was allready published unless they give acknowledgement to the original.....I know why- its because they are creedy
and do not care-
thats my story and i am sticking to it- WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

I'm just happy Darren had some good references for a change. I'm hoping he now looks into OODA to see what that is really about.

I'm still not sure why he's going with the low road/high road stuff if they are separated by only micro-seconds. If something triggers my "low road" action with my "high road" kicking in almost simultaneously why separate them?
For example, I had someone "attack" me from behind (choke) and I crouched (low road) but at the same time pinned the arm to my body and he went over my shoulder(middle road?). I followed with a wrist lock and assessment of the situation (all high road?). All said and done maybe 2 - 3 seconds. So does all this high/low road stuff matter or just make the normal complicated?

From what I can tell a lot of high road stuff goes on during Freeze, Flight, Fight, and Fright.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »

"So does all this high/low road stuff matter or just make the normal complicated?"

I vote for it just makes the normal complicated.

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:12:19 PM »

Odd that he took down Hock's seminar poster from the Police Dept here in Victoria last summer, not wanting his co workers to know about it.
Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 07:36:11 AM »

I also vote for more complicated. All of this stuff is interesting from a certain view point but as time goes by I see less and less practical value to it.

Hock has already mentioned this MD, but here's a short article on the Four F's by him anyway.
http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/45/5/448

Hock, want to add another F to the Four? Here's an interesting article by Dr. Bracha that goes into the use of Fright and Feint.

http://cogprints.org/5014/1/2004_C.N.S_Five_Fs_of_FEAR--Freeze_Flight_Fight_Fright_Faint.pdf

BTW, I'm not sure if Darren is using hyper-vigilance in the clinically correct definition. I believe he's using it in form that the PTDS doctors use rather than the more generic definition that is also used (more alert than usual and that's not a bad thing). If so hyper-vigilance should be moved to Freeze.

The definition of Fright in the article is Tonic Immobility, Playing Possum, which kicks in once the person realizes that flight and fight aren't options.

Crap. Obviously I still enjoy the complication of all this.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »

Very interesting reading-below is what i pass on to groups when  i give a self defense seminar-
[u-Learning to survive -u]

The following should be discussd.
Hypervigiliance--Freezing in place,stress shock-when confronted with a spontaneous and overwelming incident-freezes because cannnot i.d. threat/cannot believe it is occuring/does not know how to respond.

Irrational Behavior-repeat a survival skill even though it does not work.i.e.-uses cell phone but it does not work or dials the wrong number for help.

Perceptional narrowing-entails the loss of peripheral vision and the ability to scan many threats at one time.-focus on immediate threat only.

I took this of the internet long time ago-the groups i give it to seem to understand it.
I keep it simple-.
JHMO
WW (ELB) "speed of light"

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »

The way I go about it is a bit different.

At it's most basic all hyper-vigilance means is a higher state of awareness than normal. For example in the middle of the night you hear a noise in the house and suddenly your hearing increases along with arousing, and possibly also sense of smell and narrowing of vision. You've become hyper-vigilant and it's not a bad thing. The bad hyper-vigilance happens when you stay in the state too long or in some cases because of trauma, never come out of it. These days it seems that the PTSD nuance of the word is mostly used by the RBSD crowd.

Freezing: Don't forget you may be freezing to take in more information or not to be detected. Once again not bad in and of themselves.

Once again, perceptional narrowing isn't necessarily a bad thing, and it's something we do quite often when working a task.

For all three it's good to know they happen and have a few tricks for breaking out of each if need be.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 04:19:37 PM »

noload- you have some good points- you forgot about irrational behavior...

freezing in place is like when you are hunting-you stop,listen,make a decision to move
(like what they are teaching some Marines-tracking-)

I was saying about P. Narrowing-one has to look past 180 degrees on both sides of him
to see other problems/people.

Another thing that is not discussed is "listening"-very important...
When I was in greece with my greek friend (a special greek forces) he had us walk the
side streets at night and he would have me listen to what was behind me-if someone was movomg slowly and steady steps ot was one thing-if we heard footsteps/noise comming faster then we would react to it. Try that sometime-it is a powerful tool.

WW (ELB) "speed of light"

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 07:02:16 PM »

Hock,
The first one is easy, the second one takes time. I'm going to have to read it for a third time as I might be missing or misunderstanding a few things.

Hi WW,
I left irrational behavior off because I'm not sure if repeating a survival skill, even if it's not working, is irrational. It may be wrong but it can still be rational to the person, after all, it's a survival skill and likely trained behavior. I'm really not sure and I could be totally wrong.

One of my training partners is retired SF. We play out in the woods a lot where he teaches about environmental awareness. Nothing more refreshing than a brisk morning trying to hunt him down without him seeing or hearing you. ;D

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

why did you have her give that information? was this a 911 call? if it was then all they need to give is location, forget the rest of the info, they will come

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »

Funny, he has listed the latest and newest books that I have featured...
http://www.hockscqc.com/bookclub/hockshowlingcommando.htm

Not to mention the articles I have written on the very same subjects in the last four years. Even the obscure one adding "Freeze" to the F's. (By the way Tonic Immobility is not officially considered a freeze factor for a technical reason, says experts I have interviewed.

EVEN the BOO! book that hardly anyone even knows about...
All here! http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/index.htm
MY! WHAT a great coincidence!

Hock
(Your welcome, Darren. Keep your eyes peeled here for the latest in books and ideas.)

Hock,
I  just noticed that Darren gives you props on another forum on 3/15.

Specific to the Freeze, flight, fight, fright response, the credit for first bringing this to the combatives community was Hock Hoccheim. In fact he wrote an article that goes much deeper into the 4F topic that can be located at:

http://www.hockscqc.com/articles/fightf ... /index.htm

In the end, mysposting is all about training hard and ensure that you make your training realistic. As experienced trainers we have empirically known that good hard realistic training works; the science now shows us why............

Darren

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »

Canuck-it was a test for her to do under stress- call was to 911-it could have been done by her just saying -help= come to xxxxxx- but i wanted her to do some thinking
the test was done after we practised fighting some one off her-she was winded and i thought this would be a good way for her to think- we also practised after this entering a car and being attacked and getting something out of the trunk and being attacked-
i reolize that keeping it simple is good- but murphies law always prevails-what can go wrong will go wrong-
When i gve a seminar i always ask- Hw many women her have a cell phone-everyone has
I then ask how many keep the cell pone at the bottom of the purse- many do---
i telll them make it asier to get at not buried at the bottom/ialso tell them to put 911 on speed dial . Rmemeber- irrationmal behavior- dials 919  or 912 =opps -too late
If you have  more ideas on the training -let me know here. stay  safe WW

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »

Two more resources on freezing and it's benefits. Resources are both from google books previews and worth spending a little time with.

Evolution and posttraumatic stress: disorders of vigilance and defence By Chris Cantor

Fears, phobias, and rituals: panic, anxiety, and their disorders By Isaac Meyer Marks

This book breaks out fear behavior into 4 strategies, withdrawal, immobility (active or tonic), aggressive defense and deflection of attack.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 09:37:37 AM by noload »

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:10 PM »

nice one!

Ashblaster

• Level 1
  • No Heaven. No Hell. Just Science.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

A strong faith system, whatever that faith system may be, MINIMIZES the fear of dying.

The fear of dying is exactly what would keep me fighting in the street.
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Download