W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 21, 2017, 01:43:30 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'A Knife Is For Killing'  (Read 15001 times)

redcap

• "I've done dead, didn't like it" 22 June 2009
  • Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
'A Knife Is For Killing'
« on: March 31, 2010, 03:22:41 AM »

I have had a long chat with my wife's uncle Borino. He is the family 'fighter', the one with the rep. He also killed our pig the other morning for the big family reunion fiesta. (Photos not included but if you ever want to learn how to kill and butcher a pig for Lechon, these follow it step by step).

Anyway, he has some interesting opinions and experiences on knife killing (he uses the word 'ihaw' 'kill' not 'nagaway' 'fighting') that I have put into a draft article. Not sure where to place the article though, a little too 'reality based' for Black belt or Blitz (love the 'have pizza with pizza' line, Hock).

Anyway, here it is for discussion if you wish. Meanwhile, I gotta help Papa with the pigs still oinking for their supper!
Redcap

Tonacao Cuchillo- Ten Lessons In Killing With A Knife

Sixty years old, short, wiry with broad shoulders from decades of hauling in fishing nets, Borino Tonacao has a face like kamagong, dark brown and chiselled with character. He is also our family fighter. The uncle of my wife, Borino is the man who kills the pigs for fiesta in the barangay. He has taken lives other than those of pigs over the years but he rarely tells unless the Tanduay or tuba are loosening his tongue.

The day he killed our pig for the family reunion I watched him at work, then later, we talked. He carries his knife in a scabbard made from folded newspaper. It is a cheap kitchen knife, the blade is eight inches in length and the handle of orange plastic. Razor sharp. He wears it stuck into his shorts on his right side, handle pointing to the left and he can draw it lightening fast. It seems at first the knife is pointing the wrong way for a right handed draw into a reverse grip position with the blade down and the edge facing his body, but that is how he carries it and through years of use he deftly positions the knife that way in literally the blink of an eye.

Lesson 1

Getting the knife into your hand fast is his first lesson. “If it is not in your hand, it is not a knife, it is nothing” he says. He tells of how he has been attacked and had to fight off his attackers empty handed until he could get his own weapon into action.

Lesson 2

“Keep moving! Yell and scream to summon your courage and to make your attackers scared of coming close. Do not stand still or you will die.”

Lesson 3

I asked him about the type of knife he prefers and he simply replied “a sharp one, this size (indicating his own 8 inch kitchen knife) and in your hand when you need it.”

Lesson 4

The scabbard he uses he throws away when the paper deteriorates, then quickly makes a new one. “It is not important. The knife is important” he told me. In the west we fixate on the quality of the steel and the ‘rig’ we carry it in. Here is a man who uses his knife every day and he thinks only of having it long, sharp and in his hand when he needs it.

Lesson 5

We talked about grip and position and he says he prefers the reverse grip with the thumb on the pommel, or butt of the handle. It adds power to the stab and stops the knife being pushed back through the hand if he hits bone or his victim struggles. The reverse grip is the most powerful for stabbing he says because he can put his back into the blow.

The edge faces towards him so that once he has stabbed deeply he can again use his back muscles to draw the knife towards him, opening the wound, speeding up the killing and giving leverage against the struggling of the victim.

“Your arms and back are made to pull and lift, things I have done every day since a small boy when fishing and working the fields. It is stronger than pushing the knife away from you. The reverse grip is stronger than holding it in what you call a sabre grip. I would never use that, too easy to lose your knife inside him when he fights back.” He shows me what he means, easily demonstrating the leverage used to disarm someone holding the knife in a sabre grip. Even the more secure hammer grip gives something away to the defender.

Lesson 6

“To kill you must have power!” Borino exclaims. “You can’t half kill someone, be it pig or a man.” When you kill, they will not lie there and let you do it. They will fight and scream and struggle and you must be strong. Your heart must be hot but your head cold. You will see their face and hear their screams in your dreams and when you are awake they will come back and ask you ‘why did you kill me?’ and you will feel shame if you did not kill quick and right.” By right, he explained he meant for the right reasons. Not murder, but to provide food if it is an animal and to save your life or your family's lives if it is a man.

Lesson 7

We talked a bit more about killing, the why, the when, the who and the how. Borino wasn’t bragging, he was simply telling it how it had been for him. “Killing is easy. Just stab the throat and work the hole. Open it wide and he will die. That is not hard. The hard thing is to live with it afterwards. That is why you must kill right” he said.

Lesson 8

I showed him some knife fighting training clips on a DVD I had. He said very simply and authoritatively, “these men have never killed with a knife” and nothing more. I pressed him for more detail and he replied, “they are playing with knives, not killing. You don’t do all this when you kill, even if he has a knife as well. You get in first and you kill quickly. If you can’t do that then you wait. Keep him away until he has time to think of dying, when his blood is cooled. Or you escape and kill him when he hasn’t got his own knife. This is not a game. It is killing!”

When I showed him martial artists using a knife to wound or disarm their opponent he got up, found his cigarettes, then sat down again. He looked at me in a way that made me feel childlike for even suggesting you could use a knife for anything less lethal than death. “A knife is for killing.” He said no more about wounding, he’d told me enough as it was.

Lesson 9

We talked about where to stab and he said he only ever stabs the throat. If he can’t stab the throat he will cut his way there. “It is best to kill from behind, like with the pig. Why give someone or something a chance to escape, to fight back and kill you? If you try to kill and fail, they will come for you when you are weak and they are strong and you die. What is the point of that?” Indeed, what is the point of giving your victim a fair chance to not only survive but to do to you what you plan to do to them? Again, this is about one thing and one thing only. Killing. Taking life, not pretending to be some kind of tough guy.

Lesson 10

Which led us to the big lesson. Lesson 10. Intent. To Borino it is all about intent. He only kills when he intends to kill. He never intends to wound or intimidate. Those who know him know he will kill and that is intimidation enough. Those who don’t know him are soon set straight by others who have no wish to see blood spilt. Borino has a reputation but one earned, not made up by telling people how he served with some special forces military unit. Borino never served a day in the military in his life, he is a fisherman and the barangay butcher. He has been in tight spots and survived and he has no hesitation to kill when killing is right, but when it is not he feels no shame in avoiding death. Either his or, more likely, someone else’s.

When he kills he does it quickly, with as much power as he can deliver and he does it definitely, no hesitation. It is not a game. It is life or death and so far, he has always lived. I asked him if he ever worried that one day he would die like the pig he killed for us that morning?

“Maybe. But I am not worried. If I die that way it will be quick. And I will take whoever does it with me to God.”  

“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

JimH

• Level 4
Re: 'A Knife Is For Killing'
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »

Great article.
I hope it makes it into one of the Magazines,but I doubt it as it sort of dispells the constant push for the saber grip by the mags and their authors.

Bryan

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:52:27 PM »

Great Story, Great Lessons! What island is your wifes uncle living on? What dialect?

Unfortunately this is the kind of straight forward no bullshit reality that most Americans in Martial Arts have no interest in. I seriously doubt any magazines like Tactical Blade or Black Belt would even consider publishing it since you broke one of the biggest taboos in the Blade and Blade training business, writing that a knife is for killing and killing alone.

His philosophy and strategy is right on the mark. Deploy, Move, Slash, Stab, Kill. Some of the details could be modified like the grip but its all good. You do not need to to worry about your hand slipping with a proper guard but most of the knives he uses sound like guardless fishing knives. What is telling is the fact he lets you know he is concerned about the knife stopping on a bone or deflection stoppage. That he is adjusting his grip to make up for the lack of guard, otherwise he might choke up to the guard with his grip.

When he talks about power he is giving a lesson in psychology. One of the first steps in killing humans is killing animals. We have lost much of the art of training boys about killing animals in our culture. I will never forget the days we would kill chickens growing up. If the average American saw that bunch of mess they would call the police now days.

Do tell which video clips he saw, that's very interesting to me. He is right on in stating this is about killing, it's not about entertaining yourself amongst friends on holiday. Many people can fight but few can finish fights. Many have training that is valuable but the missing link is the finishing, the act of killing.

Again he is right on about stabbing from a superior position. If that means stabbing from behind there is no dishonor in this when you have honor in your reasons to act.

Many of the old school guys only have a single strategy as they are not interested in the history of knife fighting or other schools. Once a guy like him learns a set of skills they tend to stick very closely to them. He would also have strategies that counter local styles, all of which he would be an expert on. If he were dropped off into another culture that has  different skills and strategies he would pick up on those and likely adjust his own.

It's pretty common with old Malays, sayings like "Once the blade comes out of the sheath it must taste blood" and similar stories. Much of this deals with the psyche of knife killing. You have to know in your head that once you decide to take action you must finish your actions.

There is always the possibility to die a violent death in tribal third world culture. You live life by moving forward, you always keep moving forward, you try to be careful but no matter what happens you keep moving forward. You never hesitate for fear of your own death, You never hesitate to end  life when its necessary for you to move forward.

redcap

• Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Borino lives where my wife's family come from, northern Cebu. He is uneducated and probably his IQ is the Filipino average of 86, which says he will never be a Rhodes Scholar but he knows what he knows.

The grip is a contentious issue. That is his preferred style and his reasons why. I don't necessarily accept reverse grip as the only grip either but I have to say while he limits his 'tactical options' he does know it will work every time so long as he gets in close enough. If I were to try and discuss Stop Six with him he would simply walk off and get a cigarette or politely wait until I finished and then talk about something else. Yes, he's a fisherman and pig butcher not a professional personal protection instructor.

I can show a few ways the sabre grip can dice and slice anyone trying to disarm the way he showed me but I was after HIS story, not trying to tell him mine, hence it has no place in the article. I would have killed the pig from the front with a hammer or sabre grip in the knife or forward facing position, but then I would have got in the way of the man with the pot for the dugo (blood). I prefer that way and I can use it effectively and trust in it, much as he trusts his way.

Perhaps we tend to feel the need to defend our own preferences whenever we read or hear of alternatives, I know I am guilty of this. As for the DVD clips, let's just say they were 'heavy hitter' FMA knife experts with the word 'Kali' in the title and a certain Israeli bullshit artist. (pick one).
Redcap.
“No man knows the hour of his ending, nor can he choose the place or the manner of his going. To each it is given to die proudly, to die well, and this is, indeed, the final measure of the man.” Louis L’Amour

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:24:58 PM »

Dam i cant find my  vidio by pallidon press about knife culture but in it there is a segment and shows a guy (i think Philipino) using a reverse grip and shooting it out and striking balloons-he was very fast-anyone ever see that? WW

Bryan

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 01:48:55 AM »

The grip thing for him is a non issue. It falls into the "He knows what he knows" category. He learned it, got some advanced skills with it, learned how to keep his hand from slipping forward with it, aint broke don't fix.

I totally agree, many tend to disregard whats being said and then defend whatever it is they do, right or wrong. I liked the style of the article, it was a good read. Hocks comments were good too, they read like an after action report more than any disagreement with the article.

In fairness, anyone interested enough to comment here on the article has most likely learned many grips and style adaptions. This stuff is for serious knife enthusiast, not the drive by readers and once in their life knife seminar folks.

I'm reading it the DVDs were not Filipinos who are living in the Philipines but Kali off the American branch of FMA.

Cebu I hear is a great place, I never made it there but had lots of friends that loved it. I had a little bungalow on Boracay in 2000, maybe sometime I will tell you about my Bali Song Training. I suspect your uncle and my trainer had the same Grandmaster, lol.

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 02:20:30 AM »

My 2 cents...
When using a knife to kill the type of attack is a function of the type of blade used?
On our island pigs are invariable slaughtered with a "long thin blade", with a stroke alongside the head, aimed towards the anus. Such a stroke cuts both carotids and seeks the heart. It is performed with the saber grip. Conversely Venezuelans use a shorter blade and prefer a reverse grip.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

redcap

• Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 04:23:26 AM »

What I gleaned most from Uncle Borino was confirmation of my own position, not on grip but on something I think transcends method... intent. Anyone can use a knife in any grip of any type and kill, merely extend the arm. It is the thought process behind the extension that is the key.

I do agree we are not the average mob and part of the interest here is to dissect and discuss the nuances. I figure we might have a sabre grip adherent in the next barangay, swears it is the best for him etc, never kills a pig any other way. I just wanted to get across Borino's reasons and explanations, not as gospel but as being of technical interest to my peers.

Thanks for the kind words on the article itself. I might just leave it 'unpublished' in print and put it somewhere electronically along with the series of photos. If it hadn't been so dark I would have video taped the killing but I needed the flash.

I have a cockfight to go to with Papa Jusing and he says he will introduce me to the bloke that ties the knives onto the legs of the fighting cocks. It is quite a skill and only two men in the barangay do it and of course they hate each other's guts (and cocks!). Anyway this bloke has a reputation as a fighter so it will be interesting to chat with him

I am also developing a secret and ancient and of course more deadly than any other family fighting style based on the skills needed to fight to the death while in a fishing banca. I'll take some photos (staged of course) of relatives looking nasty (in between the giggling) with bolo's and sticks, maybe a paddle kata or two,on their little outrigger fishing boats and throw some fish blood around, make up a load of bullshit and then do the DVD series. Should be out by Fall and if I can get the Black Belt ads happening, I'll be world famous by Thanksgiving! With my relatives to tap and all the special forces and Israeli stuff already taken...You read it here first...
Redcap

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 06:06:22 AM »

Secret...ancient...more deadly...family fighting system...AND it's going to be in Black Belt magazine? 

Where the heck do I sign up? 

The only thing that would make it better is if JW himself was teaching it...sorry Redcap.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:11:44 AM »

As said the grip is of no concern,use what fits the need and your style.
But
If you intend to kill,and plan to do it quickly and violently,then the reverse grip ,as explained in the article is up there,especially if coming in from behind the target.

The reverse grip allows the blade to be held in a stronger position to DRIVE it in to the body and to PULL it through flesh,muscle,tendon and organs.

If you take a person from behind,and use a reverse grip,the head can be pulled Back ,Blade inserted into the opposite side behind the trachea and pull it across,ripping the trachea out.

If we try to drive the blade in with a saber grip,we have to use a sawing motion to make the cut.
As seen here (graphic video)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e16c18ff17

Saber grip is good for slashing and stabbing,not as good as the reverse grip for ripping/tearing.

The reverse grip can also be used to slash on entry/penetration and then used to hook and drive into vunerable targets in which ripping across DEEP would cause maximum damage /death.

The Reverse grip is not for sport,not for play use so the realities of seeing the article ,or other pictorial articles on its use in Black Belt or Blitz will not happen.

My opinion.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:35:49 AM »

As well as this guy always using reverse grip, I feel the "blade-in" approach (especially as an always) is extremely limiting not to mention esoteric in doctrine. 

Joe   
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Bryan

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »

As said the grip is of no concern,use what fits the need and your style.
But
If you intend to kill,and plan to do it quickly and violently,then the reverse grip ,as explained in the article is up there,especially if coming in from behind the target.

The reverse grip allows the blade to be held in a stronger position to DRIVE it in to the body and to PULL it through flesh,muscle,tendon and organs.

If you take a person from behind,and use a reverse grip,the head can be pulled Back ,Blade inserted into the opposite side behind the trachea and pull it across,ripping the trachea out.

If we try to drive the blade in with a saber grip,we have to use a sawing motion to make the cut.
As seen here (graphic video)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e16c18ff17

Saber grip is good for slashing and stabbing,not as good as the reverse grip for ripping/tearing.

The reverse grip can also be used to slash on entry/penetration and then used to hook and drive into vunerable targets in which ripping across DEEP would cause maximum damage /death.

The Reverse grip is not for sport,not for play use so the realities of seeing the article ,or other pictorial articles on its use in Black Belt or Blitz will not happen.

My opinion.

Were going well beyond the scope of the article. As a rule I don't go into "How To Kill" details online. For one thing it could lead to this website being blacklisted by search engines if some group of do gooders were to ever read it and start making formal complaints.

The reality is from behind the saber grip is much prefered over the ice pick. This is not saying that the ice pick is not suitable, it's just not prefered. The story-teller was a specialist in the ice pick and does not care about other styles. Few people ever get beyond one style, what he was describing sounded much like Ray from Down Under and his style.

Physical strength and power are not the main concerns in cutting, slashing, or stabbing when you have a sharp knife in a non military tropical climate. It is my belief the original intent of the story-teller was to convey "Power" as an inner strength, not physical.

The video was interesting but irrelevant to these comparisons because the soldier was restrained. While that method was effective and violent. It was not efficient nor the kind of thing you want to be doing when you don't want to make a mess. I would say whoever was cutting there was inexperienced at this kind of thing.

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »

Dam i cant find my  vidio by pallidon press about knife culture but in it there is a segment and shows a guy (i think Philipino) using a reverse grip and shooting it out and striking balloons-he was very fast-anyone ever see that? WW

That scene is part of a video I have, "Reverse Grip Knife Fighting" by James Keating, though maybe another video also shows it.  IIRC the same video is the first part of the "Drawpoint" series.

I don't think Keating is part Filipino, in one article he complained that he doesn't get enough attention because he is not.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »

Saber grip from behind:
What are the targets from behind for INSTANT DEATH ?
The Kidneys ? NO Guarantee of death at all.
A throat slash/cut across side to side from front ? No Guarantee of Death .

Reverse grip/Ice pick from behind:
Blade running down the inside of the arm,slashing the side of the neck as the blade passes to front.
Then a downward thrust between the clavicle and the scapula which will sever the subclavian artery and cause INSTANT death.

Reverse grip can hide the blade .
Blade can still be used to slash.

In Kill or Get Killed by Fairbairn we find the reverse grip slash attack.
In Get Tough by Fairbairn we find the Reverse Grip downward thrust between the clavicle and scapula.

I believe that the Fairbairn Dagger's Blade was made to a specification of 6 1/4 inches as this length Blade when thrust down through or next to the neck,especially if head was pulled back ,afforded the blade to Reach to the Heart.

I think in the article when Borino says that he is able to generate POWER in the Reverse Grip by using his Back Muscles,he is speaking of PHYSICAL Power.
(Not internal)

The soldier in the video was restrained and still the blade needed to be used more as a saw.
Had a Reverse grip been used,even if the head was not held down,blade behind trachea and ripped forward ,it would have been done in one movement.

I agree that if the consequences of true knife use were seen ,those who believe their rubber knife stuff works  might think differently.

Again the realities of the Reverse Grip when used for KILLING would not be put in the Magazines.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »

....let's out a long sigh.....

It depends.    This is a beer and chip discussion, but a good one to have for this group.

but, don't get caught into grips. 

Situational awareness/need dictates WAY too many things in a mess.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Bryan

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:14 AM »

Saber grip from behind:
What are the targets from behind for INSTANT DEATH ?
The Kidneys ? NO Guarantee of death at all.
A throat slash/cut across side to side from front ? No Guarantee of Death .

Reverse grip/Ice pick from behind:
Blade running down the inside of the arm,slashing the side of the neck as the blade passes to front.
Then a downward thrust between the clavicle and the scapula which will sever the subclavian artery and cause INSTANT death.

Reverse grip can hide the blade .
Blade can still be used to slash.

In Kill or Get Killed by Fairbairn we find the reverse grip slash attack.
In Get Tough by Fairbairn we find the Reverse Grip downward thrust between the clavicle and scapula.

I believe that the Fairbairn Dagger's Blade was made to a specification of 6 1/4 inches as this length Blade when thrust down through or next to the neck,especially if head was pulled back ,afforded the blade to Reach to the Heart.

I think in the article when Borino says that he is able to generate POWER in the Reverse Grip by using his Back Muscles,he is speaking of PHYSICAL Power.
(Not internal)

The soldier in the video was restrained and still the blade needed to be used more as a saw.
Had a Reverse grip been used,even if the head was not held down,blade behind trachea and ripped forward ,it would have been done in one movement.

I agree that if the consequences of true knife use were seen ,those who believe their rubber knife stuff works  might think differently.

Again the realities of the Reverse Grip when used for KILLING would not be put in the Magazines.

JimH, I disagree with your "How To Kill" conclusions. I also disagree with posting detailed  "How To Kill" information on public forums where teenagers and criminals can read this stuff then go test it out. It's like having a detective release every piece of murder evidence to a reporter for the nightly news, not a good idea.

redcap

• Level 4
    • Streetwise Philippines
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 04:55:12 AM »

The subject of the article has his way of doing it and, unlike Ray and others (including me), has done it for real. Does not mean it is the best or only way but I tend to agree with him and JimH. But then as stated I've never done it to a man either and hope I never do of course.

Borino did mean physical power, not spiritual. He is a small bloke and so most people will be bigger than he is. He popped by an hour ago to see the photos of the pig. Turns out he is in the Barangay Tanod, or community police. He sees all the 'action' here at cockfights and fiestas and is very experienced with stick, knife and empty hands but he only has two or three moves. All he needs I guess because he is not teaching or studying. He also has a lovely kamagong (tropical hardwood) 'chakoh' or knuckle duster he swears by.

That video clip might be the same as one I saw a few years ago from Iraq. I was told they saw away on purpose as it adds indignity to the murder. The Koran specifies when they kill animals to do it quickly and so on, so I presume they know how to do it clean but choose to saw away.

While I appreciate Bryan's views on How To Kill details, this is a site for professionals and while search negines may find it I doubt they are tuned in to check for context and censor accordingly. BTW, has James had a decent meal yet?  ;D
Redcap

grlaun

• Rawhide
  • Level 4
  • Jeff 'Rawhide' Laun
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 06:27:56 AM »

depends on how the knife is employed- I know that MILLIONS of people use a knife everyday to eat steak & veggies, to cut wire and rope...  why just the other day I used my folder to cut off the dry cleaning tags on my uniform...
Cheat in Beginning - Cheat in the Middle - Cheat in the End
Official Evil Ninja - 2008
Texas Peace Officer 8/2009
"You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06
"You tell that muthaf**ka, he owes me money!"

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 07:26:01 AM »

It seems to me the best grip is the one you feel most comfortable with; the one that works best for you. I have trained with all the grips, draw strokes ,etc.. and it comes to a point where I decided on one method. In my case it is the saber grip which, to me, can naturally flow into a hammer grip. I think it is good to have these frank discussions about the killing potential of the knife. I mean, that is the reality of it.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 08:19:15 AM »

good point tle-reality is that (including me) very few users of this forum have actually killed with a knife-we can practise all day-but when the shit hits the fan-hopefully we wll be able to come through to live another day. I have always said that the mental strength that we pull up in a emergancy is just as if not more important than the physical training needed to win.

Reality practise with head and face-hand protection is needed. Although some disagree i have watched the "dog brothers" vidios-it appears that agression-drive-technique-all play a important part.

Another important part in the equation is to Act-not React-saving split seconds gets you ahead of the opponent- Retsev- continuing motion- is needed.

Adding to this is the use of a expedient weapon-frying pan-glass coffoe maker with a handle-bar stool-small chair-picture frame-can of dog food-etc used to fend off the opponent-

And---my favorite straight from Newark NJ -a louisville slugger- ;D--WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »

I went through some of my papers and found where I saw the training with reverse grip=it is on vidio i got at the "street survival " seminar given by caliber press in atlantic city NJ back in 1994-even though its old the vidio part that shows the instructor using a reverse grip and stabbing straight ahead was very fast-hard to defend against as it comes at you extremely fast and then back.The instructors at that seminar were a Mr Robert Willis and David  Grossi-police and security from all over jersey and Pa wer in attendance.
WW

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »

hock -understand-WW

SabreActual

• Level 2
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »

Redcap -

Thank you for sharing your Uncle Borino's thoughts and experiences.

Very well constructed and presented.

Please give him my respect.

As for the commentary about grips, situations, this/that and the other thing...bear in mind the most "critical" will be those who make a living teaching edged weapon subject matter.  Ya gotta keep the "mystery" and the "magic" in it to make a buck.

It is always INTENT.  Means and Opportunity follow.

I have no doubt your uncle, there in Cebu, cares not a rat's behind what our stateside "experts" think or pontificate about his reality.  As you said, he would just light a smoke and walk away knowing far more about them they they think they do about him.

Early on in Fighting Knives Magazine, the late Al Mar sent me up to Tacoma, Washington, to meet and "interview" a friend of his.  Ron Ishida lived quietly up in North Tacoma.  His wife had passed away a few years back.  He was a career corrections officer at the prison on Puget Sound.

He was born in Hawaii and had, in the mid-1930s as a very young man, traveled to Japan.  There he learned the Art of the Sword, among others, in a traditional school.  When the war broke out he was kept from returning to America by the Japanese military government.  He was sent to train Japanese Marines in close quarter combatives, specifically the rifle and bayonet.

He did so under penalty of harm to his family on Hawaii.

When the war was over he was repatriated to the United States and imprisoned until the truth of his story and circumstances was discovered and proven.

He was not bitter or angry.  Life was what life was.

He and Al met and he became very close to Mar.

When I met Ron at his home he was very kind.  I asked him many silly questions.  All smug and sure of myself and what I thought I knew.  He was patient.

When I took out three knives, all specialty cutlery "combat knives", I asked him which he felt was the superior knife for fighting.

He took each in hand one at a time.  He examined them briefly then put each down gently (we were sitting on the floor).  Ron said "These are all very fine knives."  Then he slowly pointed to his head with his right index finger and said "But this is the true weapon you must develop!"

He then took me into his small and very lovely backyard.  "Would you like to see my dojo?", he asked.

Of course, I responded.

He took me to a place in front of a large window and had me stand in front of it.  "Here is where I train every morning," Ron offered.  "I stand here and make 500 cuts, then I go about my day."

I looked into the window and saw his and my reflection.

It was my "wax on - wax off" moment.  Al had known all along I needed a reality check  ;)

Ron passed away several years later.  A warrior, an accomplished martial artist, a peaceful man who protected our society by watching over some of the most violent criminals then behind the walls and bars of prison.  A gentle and wise man.  Humble because of his Life's experiences and training.  However clearly a man not to be trifled with even in his older years.

My sense is your Uncle Borino is much the same at his core.

I would have loved to have sat at his feet and learned from him.

Respect,

Greg Walker (Retired)
USA Special Forces
"Na Mae O Me Do Fu" - The Washing Away of Fear

Download