W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 23, 2017, 07:49:28 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Police Judo  (Read 7507 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Police Judo
« on: June 12, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »

More Notes and Comments on Police Judo

http://www.hockscqc.com/judo/index.htm

"Without a doubt, the most fun I have had in teaching lately is when I teach the Police Judo outlines. It seems with very little advertising and just some word of mouth, I have one and sometimes two of these seminars a month from here in the United States to Belgium and Ireland just in the first half of this year. And I also receive a number of questions about the course. Here are the typical ones."  - Hock

Are there Police Judo DVDS?
    No. Just get the Training Missions DVDs. Most of the material comes from the hand, stick, knife and gun course material - the CQC Group as a core source. As with all my courses, I cherry-pick from there and customize it for law enforcement missions. This customization might generate a need for Police Judo Series someday - but not in the foreseeable future - such as a complete enforcement-dedicated series. But, I hate to duplicate things and have some people pay twice for the same information in the Training Mission material.

Is there a progression? Where do you start?
    No. Note that the modules on the Police Judo webpage are not numbered. They are themes. Themes taught in any order. Agencies select the theme as needed. My premise is that every attendee has already started years ago! They are already a police academy graduate and is a street veteran of some level. They have already done the "kick/punch thing basic training thing" in their academies and again at in-service schools.
    We just work on the meat, that they really need. Plus, this is really for officers at a point in their career where they want to learn and build some customized tricks that best suit them. Something for them, their size, their shape, their strength, their needs. Not the cookie-cutter, general, mass group, one-size-fits-all basic training material.

Do you expect to change "department use of force policy of police agencies?"
    Oh gosh, no. No way! Police Judo is an add-on to any department policy. It is a communal "work-out." These newer police courses who want to come into an agency and take over their department policy? They are in for a big surprise.Not going to happen. You might have done that in the 1980s and very early 90s, but those days are over now. The idea is to build tactics with the already existing policy.

Is this Police Judo POST or state -certified in my state?

Probably not. Each state in the USA (50 of them!) has a rigorous process to rubber stamp any police courses. Each one different. And there are many insider, politics involved with each state. If you only taught some simple, sit-down, "Power Point Use for Police" class, it would easily pass state requirements (but still after PILES of submission paperwork). But, defensive tactics/fighting courses are treated like ripe nitroglycerin for fear of law suits. One could spend a lifetime catering to and appeasing 50 different state agencies for approval. Each state - thick piles of forms. A medical overview of material by a recognized doctor! In the end, your course would be so watered down and "safe" by government standards and their paranoid attorneys, it would be nearly worthless. Nearly as worthless as...dare I say..what many already have in place.
    Aside from this, I see a growing trend in police training where more and more courses presented at national training seminars ARE NOT state-by-state certified. Savvy police trainers are realizing that they are going to sponsor or attend many non-certified courses - or have no modern, progressive training at all. Basically, to be state certified in 50 states? I would spend the rest of my life running around making each of the 50 states happy.

As a civilian, can I become an instructor?
    No. Police only. Only my old student Tim Llacuna of California is the exception because he has worked with me for many years teaching Police Judo around the world. He really knows the material. Someday, I may make some adjunct-style, certification title, but right now? No. If you tell me that you are just a civilian and hope to officially teach the police? You have almost a zero chance to teach police. Other martial courses have sold these "citizen-to-teach-police" certification courses and now you know they have just taken your money and you are still not teaching the police. Many of these "citizen-to-teach-police" courses just innocently teach the same material already taught at police academies. Why would an academy graduate return to these basics? The officers have seen it, got it for free.
    I really, really hate to encourage civilians into thinking they will have some success at teaching the police. If you've never been a cop? Odds are really, REALLY against you that you will teach police, especially since about the year 2000 or so. Since then MANY new police programs have appeared.

As an enforcement officer, can I become an instructor?
    Yes. Attend any of the modules once and you can teach any the material. You are supposed to! Save lives. Spread the word! I think these people who impose patents, copyrights and tithing to life-saving material for police are rather insidious. Just please mention us and where the material came from. That is all I ask. Attend the same module twice, get the nod from me and then you will be an instructor who can make other instructors.
    The very heart and soul of Police Judo is this pass-the-word, work-out, format that I first learned so much in. Formal, yet informal.

Hock
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:56:09 PM by Hock »

Download