W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 20, 2018, 12:13:53 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: God's Knife  (Read 4850 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
God's Knife
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »

As the Mississippi Dawg mentioned in another thread here, I have called the basic, thinner, double-edged commando style knife as "God's Knife." I sarcastically suggest that it was in the Garden of Eden, under a bush somewhere undiscovered.

I believe that anything you do to a knife's shape or design that deviates from God's original, perfect shape and plan, diminishes the full utility of this this as a fighting weapon.

Hock

sarguy

• Level 4
Re: God's Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »

On a semi-related note, have you ever considered designing "Hock's rendition of God's knife"?  Or is there no improving on the Fairbairn-Sykes design?

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »

I have been contacted by three big knife makers and several lesser known ones since the 1990s from as far as Australia, to "design" a "Hock knife." I am no knife designer and have no idea how to improve that basic, best commando design.

Also I am not like a...knife nut, so to speak. I don't collect knives and find them especially attractive or interesting. I like to use stuff not store and admire it. I like tactics not knives, (like guns) and my interest int he shapes of knives come strictly from a tactical, working perspective.

Years ago, in the early 1990s in a seminar, JKD's Larry Hartsell suggested a great fighting knife design. It had a few features I also thought were interesting, and I could design something like that, but it would really be Hartsell's knife, not mine.

Would I call it...
                               Hock's Hartsell Knife?

Naaah.

I don't think too much of the knife business. ALL the knives! Yet...like 99.8% of knife attacks in our civilized countries are with kitchen knives. I think that Cold Steel and Spyder Co do a great job and make all the knives I would ever dream of needing.

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »

I read somewhere that the first F.S Dagger's the guy's produced where in fact old Boer War bayonet's that they ground down. It is a misnomer to call it the fighting knife, it is the silent killing / assassination knife in that respect. The Smachet was the fighting knife. Early photos show both F.S and Combat Smachet worn by land commando's and regular commando's as well as the fourteen inch bayonet being carried.

On the first ' Island ' raid ( Vallasso ) ' Mad Jack ' Churchill played the bagpipes and brandished a claymore at the beach landing.

That's the way to do it !!

LOL Webby...      

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »

I really like the smachet. A lot. It is almost just an impact weapon that happens to cut and chop.

It doesn't stab like commando blade, but the two together make a great pair.
http://www.elinemerchandising.com/B-A-F578S.html

Hock

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »

I would buy Hock's Hartsell Knife.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 12:45:46 PM »

Hock, if i were you I owuld have a rethink about the whole knife thing. I believe that with your honest open way of doing business that the knife and its concept would be well recieved by people.  Even got a line for it " The Hock/Hartsell knife, it cuts good and stabs great"

I trained with Larry back in early 90's, found him to be a great down to earth guy. Glad that you gave him credit where it s due!

sarguy

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »

Thanks for the replies! Hock, I somehow knew how your answer would go, but I had to ask anyway.

To be honest, the presence of so many specialized knives designed for fighting/self defense/knife dancing seems to be indicative of efforts to capitalize on a fanbase or "loyal following". That said, sometimes there are specific qualities of the tool that make it more effective for the designer's preferred fighting methodology.

It's amazing how people would rather drop cash on a new "God's Tool incarnate" rather than on training. I've been guilty of doing just that.

(But if you ever did a collaborative project with Spyderco, I'd buy two, plus the trainer blades...  ;D )

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »

(But if you ever did a collaborative project with Spyderco, I'd buy two, plus the trainer blades...  ;D )

Ditto!

(Besides, I already have the training program! How sweet is that?! :o)
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »

Well, first off, one would have to deal with Mrs Larry Hartsell first to use the name... ;D
She should just make it without me as a commemorative or something.

Hock

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »

I seem to remember a lot and I mean a lot of big blond hair, is that her?

Download