W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 20, 2018, 11:47:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Black belt newsletter vol #51  (Read 3086 times)

whitewolf

• Level 4
Black belt newsletter vol #51
« on: July 23, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Thought i would pass this on-i cant send the copy but there is a article in it  concerning
Matt Larson-who is the "creator of Army combatatives"
There is a vidio where he shows knife defense- he slaps the knife with both hands as the attacker starts a thrust-i really think that this movement will get one cut -if the
attacker is griping the knife with a firm hard grip and the knife thrust is fast-- the knife will not go flying-plus the attacker also has other hand free to strike out.
This nothinhg like I have been shown and observed by other instructors including a
vidio by the dog brothers where the knife hand is gripped -not trying to slap a daranged
insane persons knife away.
as i have mentioned before I am not a expert but I am not going to try this tactic...
WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: Black belt newsletter vol #51
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »

Slaps the knife...you mean he slaps one hand one direction with one hand and the other direction with the other hand? Slap disarms the knife? Is it a disarm?

He slaps the arm or slap the knife itself?

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:23:05 AM »

Hock he shows that he slaps the back of the knife hand with one hand and the other he slaps in the opposit direction- he says thats a good movement-
When I was in kuwait a instructor from Army PSD for the general was showing that against a knife and a lot of time he missed due to the hand moving fast.

As you have reitererated time ofter time grab the knife hand-do what is needed but if you let go then you are in trouble.

Am I missing something-as for mr Larson I never met him but he just does  not come accross as a real combat fighter/instructor. I observe the training of army combatitives
all the time and it worries me that they are teaching  a soldier the basics that they do teach-he might get a month or more if he is lucky in practise the basic ground movements and then he is on to other things (women also)- i dont think they get to
weapon defense till level 3 which takes a long time.And  then the defenses are as discribed in he article-
I think they need tactics from your knife defenses/attacks book
and practise with a training knife

stay  safe

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »

Hock he shows that he slaps the back of the knife hand with one hand and the other he slaps in the opposite direction- he says that's a good movement-

That other hand slaps the actual knife blade and causes a disarm? Where does this other hand slap exactly?

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 11:47:50 AM »

Hocking
ist tactic
attacker stabs with knife in his right hand
victim slaps back of knife hand with his left hand while taking right hand and grabbing side of blade and bending knife back-

2nd tactic
attacker stabs with knife in right hand
victim slaps  back of knife hand while other hand slaps  inside wrist area of knife hand

what occurs when attacker starts to pull back  or continues lunging forward very fast-???? Or blocker misses-????

I bet Snake blocker or dog brothers would not be happy with this article-  it will be in next BB mag which i will skip purchasing
hope what i put down makes sense- hope to c u end of sep in talahoma- WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:17:28 PM »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:37:52 PM »

The double slap is taught from a static knife and a dynamic knife,most dynamic attacks are straight stomach thrusts.
One hand strikes the inside of the wrist,making sure not to hit the palm,(hitting the palm stops the wrist from flexing).
The other hand simultaneously strikes the outside / back of the hand.

Here is a clip which shows the move,which I assume is what Larsen was doing /speaking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9TtdNfPP_w

This works SOME TIMES and is NOT Reliable as a Knife Defense

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »

Thanks Hock and JimH-this reafirmes my thoughts-as discussed get that weapon hand. WW

Download