W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 24, 2017, 03:16:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Master Guy Savelli's Kun Tao: Special Forces/Special Ops Training  (Read 10391 times)

noload

• Level 4

I think this is taped in the super secret underground training camp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYI9H7L93iQ&feature=pyv&ad=3605879278&kw=karate

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Master Guy Savelli's Kun Tao: Special Forces/Special Ops Training
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »

Master Guy Savelli was the man brought in by Colonel Nick Rowe  to teach Special Operations his form of Mental and Physical training.
He was the Man brought in to form the First Earth Battalion,the men Who stare at goats Guy.

What he taught may not have worked out liked the military had wanted but he was contracted to teach it for a Good MANY Years.

He is no Walter Mitty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zKGx-HWIvU

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 09:26:52 AM »

Oh Lord! This is worse than him being pure Mitty (he's wearing the beret which gives him Mitty points in my book). How did Rowe fall for these karate tricks wrapped up in mental clap trap?

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:17:17 PM »

Guy Savelli is not wearing a Green Beret in any of those clips .
Those are Green Berets assigned to the JFK Warfare Center,SERE Instructors under Nick Rowe.

Nick Rowe said that while a POW in Vietnam ,he found his mind was the strongest tool he had to combat his enemies,his keepers, and he set out to bring mind control of self to a new level,and that was ,to some degree achieved thanks to Guy Savelli's teachings.

The men trained by Guy Savelli were more in tune with their surroundings in the bush.
More able to control Heart Rate and breathing when going long distances or under stress.
Able to function with minor injuries which might have otherwise stopped them from carrying out their mission to completion.

Guy Savelli produced results and that nis why he was contracted for as long as he was.

The movie was complete BS and a mix of several aspects of research that was being conducted within the Army and CIA.

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 05:46:55 PM »

Sorry Jim but some of what he's selling as mind and chi stuff are simple karate tricks. They are nice demos and will likely stick with most of those watching. I'm usually looking for the "assist" from the assistant that makes it all work. Like the baseball bat demo, where you can see the assistant move his shoulder letting Savelli he's about to swing and how the bat moves up over his head to give a little more wiggle room just in case. Often neither party notices they are doing this. But watching for that initial movement is an important skill to develop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwNeg2-Ob8&feature=related

My usual training partner may have crossed paths with him and teaches some of the same things without the chi and mind talk, so I'll see what he knows about him.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:09:50 PM by noload »

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:48:25 AM »

Again the men in the clips wearing the OD Green and or Camo Uniforms ,with and without Berets are SERE Instructors NOT Guy Savelli.
The instructors had 36 lessons under Mr Savelli and then incorporated some of that training into the Basic SERE course as taught at the Q course or the SERE school proper.

These things were taught not as tricks,but to enhance the mental ability of the students to enable them ,as Nick Rowe hoped,to have better focus,focus of power,mental ability to carry on through basic injuries and to keep a clear mental focus if they were captured by the enemy.

If one reads  books written by POW's they will see the importance many of the men/POW's placed on Mental focus to stay strong and to seperate themselves from some of the events that happened to them as POW's.

Guy Savelli was not contracted for over 7 years because he was teaching party/karate tricks.
Nick ROWE was definately NOT interested in teaching men Party Tricks,he was teaching what to him was a Very Important aspect of training,SURVIVAL.

Was your friend in SF ?
If not in SF or other Spec Ops units that Savelli had access to then I doubt he can speak on what and why  things were taught by Savelli to these units.

I am speaking to the clips of Savelli's teachings to the SERE Instructors and students,not to Savelli's teaching outside of that environment.
The insinuation of him being a Walter Mitty pertains to his association with the US Military,which he did indeed have and had for MANY Years,not to peoples thinking that what he taught was real or pseudo science of chi and focus.

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:54:06 AM »

OK, maybe I'm confused, but does Savelli even appear in any of these clips? Is he the guy in the red pants in the clip that I posted?

As far as karate tricks, I just call them as I see them, and I've seen these same demos many times. If someone wants to sell them as Chi or mind over matter, then more power to them. If they're a confidence building exercise then fantastic. I'm just skeptical that these demonstrations and teachings are effective, though not surprised that Savelli found someone in the community to keep his contract going for 7 years.

As far as being a Mitty, Hock please move this thread somewhere appropriate if at all possible.

Bryan

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »

The problem here is the same old misunderstandings that get hashed over every year. People outside the military trying to second guess what goes on inside the military when they just don't know. Civilians buying into "The Dream" of exotic training when most military training is practical, mission oriented.

Evidently some of the people commenting have no idea who Nick Rowe was or they would not be second guessing his personal choices in trainers. Another thing is the 70s and 80s was a weird time in military history, lots of strange things going on, not to mention the disco music and rice.

Plenty of people have done a good job for the military as a contractor and or soldier only to get into some strange things later. Trying to second guess what this guy was teaching thirty years after the fact with none of the people who went to the classes commenting seems like and exercise in futility.  

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:57:19 PM »

I've done some strange things.. like drinking Coors lite once... just once! :P
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

SabreActual

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »

Rowe and CSM Dan Pitzer were very much into the reality of mind discipline, often confused with the errant term "mind control".

Rowe is express about this in his book "Five Years to Freedom".

Dan taught this as one of his specialty classes both for the Navy's SERE program and then for the Army when Rowe brought him onboard at Bragg as the senior civilian instructor for the course.

Rowe had the budget, the reputation and the license to investigate any area of SERE related skills he believed would be helpful.

And they still pursue this but at levels of mental performance far higher and perhaps less esoteric than when originally undertaken.
"Na Mae O Me Do Fu" - The Washing Away of Fear

Download