W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 22, 2018, 04:26:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IRISH STICK FIGHTING  (Read 6341 times)

chfroehlich

• Level 2
IRISH STICK FIGHTING
« on: December 22, 2010, 09:43:30 AM »

Currently a guy here in Germany is offering RINCE AN BHATA UISCE BEATHA (Irish Stick Fighting) Courses.

Has anyone of you guys here heard from this style
http://fightingfaction.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=29

Never heard of a Irish Stickfighting Style with Gradings and Instructor-Ranks in it.

Any Input??

Best to you

Christof

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

chfroehlich

• Level 2
Re: IRISH STICK FIGHTING
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »

Some Information translated from German

Rince at Bhata Uisce Beatha "is the only authentic Irish style, until the present time has been passed. The style of the Doyle clan (O'Dubhghaill Abu) was transmitted through the generations only to members of the Doyle family. In the early 19th century came the style by the emigration of the Doyles of Newfoundland to Canada, where he has remained to this day as a family style.

Since the death of Gregory Doyle in 1998, his son Glen, the last Doyle, who can continue to convey this traditional martial art yet. Since Glen Doyle has no children, he broke with the consent of his father's tradition and gives his knowledge of this unique martial art continues also to outsiders, so as to enable their continued existence and of his own death.

In Rince on "Bhata Uisce Beatha" is a very aggressive system based on traditional stick fighting and Pugilism - Gregory Doyle, a well-known boxer was - and this is the only Irish system of the stick with both hands, used to be as effective in small spaces to work.
This characteristic ideal style for the meaningful transfer to today's circumstances and the application example an umbrella.

The aim of the style is the enemy either directly attack or turn it off but already the first break. There is prolonged exchange of blows it here, mostly, a struggle for one or two counter techniques over.
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 09:56:50 AM »

Going back to 2005, we have this...
http://hockscombatforum.com/index.php/topic,1042.0.html

A few of the folks involved seem to surf this talk forum about once a month and might respond. And some of us in the northeast have met some USA based Irish stick fighters. For example, see if you can reach this guy...

ras_wic@hotmail.com

Hock

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 03:22:04 AM »

Cold steel make a functional copy of an Irish Blacktorn walking stick that's pretty good.
If you read the original book of Gang's of New York they didn't use Shillelagh they used brickbats ( one length of wood with a block of wood nailed to the business end ) these where thrown ( on mass ) as well as used as an impact tool.
My Mum's side of the family where all McCormacks from Belfast. Family heirlooms inc two blackthorns one with a small head the other has been hollowed out and filled with lead.
Very unwieldy and more for show than anything else.
As for the traditional art it's self, it's all hitting and poking with very little grappling, a good blackthorn is very spiky it's full length, very damaging to skin and bone if used with force. A shortened version is hidden up a sleeve. This doe's not have the thorn's and is smooth and very thin with all the weight in the head. A loop of thick leather act's as a lanyard to hold it around the wrist as they tend to ' fly ' otherwise.         

raswic

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »

Hey guys! Long time, sorry for the absence. Jim McCann sent this thread and said I should post a reply. I have been studying Irish Stick Fighting for about 8 years now. I've researched all the tyles" out there and know most of the people in the community. I've known Glen Doyle for almost that long. I can tell you he is the real deal. He has notches on many kippins. I teach a hybrid of three traditional styles, Doyles two handed method included. But it is all traditional Irish techniques. Also I teach all 7 lengths of stick from the 18" Kippen to the 7'-9' staff with the main focus on the 3'-4' shillelagh. Besides that I also know French Le Canne et Le Baton. Le Canne et Le Baton are essentially the same as Anglo-Celtic Single Stick and Great Stick/Cleidh. I hold classes at Jim McCann's place as well as at my own school Wolfhound MA/FC. If anyone is interested feel free to contact me at wolfhoundfc@yahoo.com or maybe we can get a techniques discussion here.

raswic

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 11:44:39 AM »

Playing around with the Cleidh/Great Stick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjR2rCulImU

Download