Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 17, 2017, 04:13:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: New Book on Mike Echanis Released by Paladin Press  (Read 104445 times)

FM451

• Forum Member
New Book on Mike Echanis Released by Paladin Press
« on: April 23, 2011, 08:21:45 AM »

Just noticed yesterday, Paladin Press is releasing a new book on Mike Echanis. Runs about 500 pages, costs $29.95.  This may or may not be a different version of the Echanis book released by Black Belt Magazine. Just giving a heads up, as Echanis has been discussed on this board before.

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Complete_Michael_D_Echanis_Collection/Military_Hand-to-Hand_Combat

JimH

• Level 4
Re: New Book on Mike Echanis Released by Paladin Press
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

Same Book as put out by Black Belt.
A BS story of a fake Military Career.
A BS story on his hwarangdo study and skills level.
Just a way to repackage Mike's old booklets and resell his material.

Here are posts from people in Hwarangdo before Echanis,and the story as they KNOW it ,not the BS concocted by the Lee's.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5976.html

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:55:50 AM »

It it the same book published by Black Belt Publications.  Paladin Press is just carrying it in their catalog.

It is not unusual for Paladin Press to carry books they don't publish in the catalogs.

FM451

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »

I headslap myself for not being more observant! I looked at the number of pages and price, but not who the publisher was - just assumed it was Paladin.  :-[

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:48:21 AM »

Book published in 1977, dies in 1978. Becomes a legend in less that a year! Holy Shit somebody tell Kent Bob that he didn't need to spend nearly as much time becoming a Super Hero!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

FM451

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »

All the posts here on Mike Echanis have been fascinating to me. Just a quick google search brings a variety of Echanis discussions on various forums. One gives a different slant to how he died. The consistent story that I've encountered is that Echanis died as a result of an assasination - a bomb on board the plane. Either Echanis or someone else on the plane was the target. The plane took off without any pre-flight inspection, which might have located the bomb and prevented the explosion.

But, from a 2003 post from Blade Forums, is an account of Echanis' death that I'd never heard of.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/95448-Michael.D.Echanis/page10

See the post titled "Cast A Giant Shadow" by Greg Walker. According to Mr. Walker,

"In the end Echanis and Company took a flight on a private aircraft where they elected to drop hand grenades from the plane on suspected Sandinista positions...apparently for fun. It is presumed they lost control of one of the grenades and it exploded inside the plane, causing it to crash into Lake NIC. SOF did a story on Echanis' demise with sidebar offering the eye witness account of a NIC lieutenant sent out to recover the bodies from the crash site.

In actuality, Gary O' Neal and his team assisted in the dive to the crashed aircraft. O' Neal recovered Echanis' body and identified it from a religious medal Echanis wore around his neck. He confirmed the wounds in the body were consistent with grenade shrapnel. His team would have likewise did an assessment of the damage done to the plane and determined whether it was an assassination or accident. As I recall there was no discussion of assassination..."

If true, what a hit on the "American Ninja" persona of Mike Echanis! No death in battle, not even an assasination, but to go out like Wile E Coyote. Say it ain't so!   :o

patwxdaddy

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:39:28 AM »

Hock,
I don’t know where this JimH gets his info from? Please let me shed some light on this issue because these guys have been the subject of research and interviews for my upcoming book. Mike Echanis and Chuck Sanders were legendary talking with SF guys at Fort Bragg back in the day! They were all in the most famous and desired team in all of SF of CSM. John Jackivinko. Echanis WAS a Ranger in Vietnam but was shot in the leg so badly that he was never supposed to walk again but did that and much more.

Yes the movie ,"The Men Who Stare At Goats" plot bastardized several Psychic operations in the SF. Think about it, do you think the very liberal New Earth Battalion would had anything to do with the killing goats aspect. That misnomer is the reason I put out the original footage on Youtube to tell the real story because apart from the movie title from the factual book into a mangled fiction. The separate experiments of New Earth Battalion, the Trojan Warrior Project, The Jeti Knight Program, the Remote Viewers and the teachings of the actual goat killers Mike Echanis and THEN Guy Savelli.

I told Jon Ronson the author of the book that he missed some of the story but he was not interested after he got his movie deal. Big name actors alternate between a big selling movies and offbeat art films. In Hollywood’s desperate attempt to find new material they bought the books historical story and altered it for their own pop art needs. Trust me, unlike most peoples posted vids, my military videos were given to me directly from the makers.

Sanders and Echanis were in Nicaragua on a bodyguard gig for their president when he was assassinated. My roommate MSGT. J Gonzales was their close friend and teammate and til this day will only get drunk that day Sept 8th every year to remember  them. But truthfully Gonzi tells me actually Echanis was a mean sadistic bastard and Chuck Sanders was the real Spiritual Warrior but not the showman as Mike. They actually started a school and performed many exhibitions within SF but the school broke 7 legs the first day and only lasted  only that one course.

Funny story, Echanis partner Chuck Sanders had been doing Aikido since he was about eight years old. He is the tall lanky blond guy in the Echanis books, his fighting balance was as a part of him as walking. He would even watch cats for hours because he said the wasted no movement. He even lead his A-Team in meditation and used healing energies on a teammate who bent his knee 90 deg sideways, 30 min later the man stood up and rejoined the H2H training! So the movie Pink Panther was a real chuckle of the team guys in the 70s with his sidekick Kato. Kato was instructed to attack the inspector without notice, any time day or night to keep him sharp. Well a guy in 5th Group  SSGT.Green who had a Thai kick boxer for a wife, figured ol' Sprite Warrior Master Sanders deserved his own Kato, and Green volunteers himself! So Gonzi  tells me for a period of about a year. Everywhere that their A-Team went (Yes Mr.JimH they were on a real A-Team), Sergeant Green would drop out of a tree or come running out of the woods like a banshee and try to attack Sanders! Chuck would simply side step him sending him flipping down a hill or hip toss him and give him a little bitch slap. But those were the real colorful things team guys did. Where was Echanis was rather mean and would start fake fights down at the bar to beat the shit out of drunk soldiers for practice or really hurt people in training.

Echanis and Sanders would put on exhibitions where Echanis would hit Sanders and send him flying 15 feet through the air into a chair (well sometimes almost into the chair). As seen in SOF, their A-Team would get drunk and run jeeps over each other. It was Echanis who killed the first goat a few years before Col. Rowe sent SFC Len Rogers out to find Savelli. But Savelli actually scared the shit out of me the first time I was introduced to him by his student, SFC. Pavletic. But I was shown the original classified dead goat autopsy performed in the SF “Goat Lab” from the Camp McCall test.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 09:11:19 AM »

Patwxdaddy,
Here are  a couple quick questions to solve YOUR mistaken information:
What was this super famous SF Team run by CSM Jackivinko ?
(Probably super secret undocumented,lol)
What was Mikes job on this super secret Team,H2H instructor ?
When did Mike Echanis go to Ranger School ?
(he joined in late 69 and was in Vietnam in early 1970)
When did Mike attend Jump school?
How long was Mike in the US Army before being sent to Vietnam?
(a couple months total ,NO ?)
What unit was Mike assigned to in Vietnam ?
Was he with the 75th Ranger Bat ?(LOL)
How long was Mike in Vietnam ?

Savelli was the Stare at Goats Guy ,not Echanis.
Savelli stared at goats and ONE of a Group went down to the floor,supposedly an old goat ,(It did not die),supposedly Savelli also had killed small rodents with his mond,Mike Killed Nothing,never dropped any animal and NEVER claimed mental Powers,Only Savelli)
Savelli had a long contract with the US Army,Mike never had any contract.

How long did Echanis ACTUALLY study Hwarangdo under Jo Bong Lee ?
(He started training in 1975,was given a school and he taught 75-76 and he was in Bragg,visiting a friend on the SCUBA Team,and started teaching to live,make money,not at the invite of the US Army)

Mike did exhibitions of supposed skill,which all martial artists know are not super natural powers but are explained by science.

Mike WAS NOT a MEMBER OF ANY SF UNIT.
Not a Ranger School Graduate
MAYBE airborne ,but that is not verified.

Do you have friends of Mike and or DOCUMENTAION from officila sources about Mike, OFFICIALLY,training UDT and SEALs ? (LOL)

Please stop the BS Hear Say from Mikes Family ,Friends  and those using hi name to claim crap associated with Hwarangdo.
(Hwarangdo a made up art ,with roots in Hapkido,but since Hapkido didn't sell to well a trip back to Korea and a quick return suddenly Hwarangdo lives,lol.)

As a reasearcher please produce documented evidence and NOT HEAR SAY from friends.
SHOW OFFICAL Documents from the US military
Full Offical DD214 to start.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

Patwxdaddy,
quote:
"Yes Mr.JimH they were on a real A-Team"
LOl
What A Team ?
Where?
Not a Special Forces Green Beret A Team.
Not an A Team that included a non trained Mike Echanis.
Maybe an SF A Team,created by Mr Brown of Soldiers of Fortune (SF).
LOL

You say Mike was on one of the Greatest SF A Teams,but then you say he  was a Ranger.
Which is it SF A Team member or Ranger or both,lol.?

You do know SF is a Green Beret,called Special Forces.
Rangers were not and ARE NOT Special Forces,though now part of Special Operations.

Quote Patwxdaddy:
"Echanis was a mean sadistic bastard and Chuck Sanders was the real Spiritual Warrior but not the showman as Mike. They actually started a school and performed many exhibitions within SF but the school broke 7 legs the first day and only lasted  only that one course."
What course?
A course at Bragg ?
They broke 7 legs of whom,SF Soldiers ?
Mike was Sadistic as well as Masochistic.

You have military film,direct from the makers and those films show what ?
Mike Echanis doing what ?
If Mike Echanis killed a Goat with a thought,then why was it not until Savelli said he killed rodents with thought did they bring him,Savelli, in ?
Savelli was brought in to try and teach SF Soldiers to be more in tune with their bodies,mind,spirit and to control themselves and be aware of their capabilities  and have better awareness in the field.
Mind and mental projection were tried and trained and NO ONE duplicated what Savelli had done,not even Savelli.
It was a one time happening .

When did Mike develop this skill as being able to kill by thought ?
Was it when he was praised as onre of the Greatest practitioners of Hwarangdo of the highest ability ? LOL.
Mike was hated by the Lee brothers,until they thought he had opened a door in the US Military for them and he was welcomed back into the fold.

You sure you have a Camp McCall autopsy report on the dead goat ?
Dead Goat killed by who ?
Echanis or Savelli or both ?
It is also Camp McKall,not Camp McCall.
So maybe you do have a camp McCall report,lol.

You are repeating the LEGEND of Echanis stories,not truth.

Show me proof  of documentation of all this BS.

I know people who know the real story .
Mike was Black Belt in TKD given rank in Hwarangdo and he was a show man.
Never a Ranger,Never a Green Beret.
A writer for Soldier of fortune Magazine,working for and going to places under the direction of Robert Brown.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »

I forgot
The CSM you say Echanis served in Nam with on an SF Team is Vladimir
Jakovenko,who was serving with the 6th Special Forces 69-71.
He was on the Son Tay Raid  in November 1970,had been training in Florida for the raid for several MONTHS prior to the raid.

What month and year was Echanis injured in Vietnam ?

Are you still sure Mike served in the greatest SF unit under SM Jakovenko ?
Maybe Mike was on the Son Tay Raid ?
They just left his name off the list of members on the raid as listed in the manifests and book,lol.

CSM Jakovenko met Echanis when CSM Jakovenko was assigned to 5th Group at Bragg,(not Vietnam)

Oh by the way Mike was wounded in May 1970 ,while riding in a truck along the An Khe Pass,Vietnam with only several weeks in country.
He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze star with V.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 10:35:35 AM »

Patwxdaddy,
I see on other boards  you seem to like MACV,SOG,Red Cell and the First Earth Batallion to name a few.
You say that Col Nick Rowe was the basic founder of the First Earth Battalion but in Reality he was not.
The man who truly started the First Earth Battalion was James Channon.
Nick Rowe was a Believer and a true proponent of the ability of the human mind ,adaptation and ability to develop a better awareness of surroundings,much like a return to animal methods of survival.
(smell,hearing and an over all feeling of what was around you)
This was one of the stated goals of the First Earth Battalion as well as working and developing methods of warfare and survival that were out of the box.

Mr Ronsons book and movie were a conglomeration of stories of mystic adventures of the US Government and military in ralation to works and trials of the same things in regard to Russia and their military.
All things were not included in nor a result of the first Earth Battalion
and its directives

I also see many who claim that Mike Echanis was a LRRP and that seems to automatically make him a member of the 75th Ranger Battalion as what was called a Roll In.
Mike was Never a Graduate of the LRRP or MACV Recondo school.
Mike was never a graduate of the Ranger Course.
Mike Never Attended nor did he graduate SFQC.
Mike Never recieved a Silver Star

Before compalints about Military.Com allowing persons to see abreviated DOD Records,Mike was listed on there and NEVER had an MOS listed/assigned to him,not 11B/11C,nothing no less any more advanced training MOS ???

From reading writings by Mike,he NEVER Claimed anything in relation to  being in the LRRPs,Rangers,SF or anything.
These claims are made by SOF and Black Belt magazine  and then the Hwarangdo people .

Mike was not a remote Viewer,and the only claim to Mike having Killed a Goat by thought is made by Mr Wheaton who said that an old goat was dragged into the woods,brought into a pit,in the cold and the snow and died after Mike starred at it.
They supposedly buried the Goat in the bottom of the pit,so any autopsy must not have been done on that goat,lol.
If it did die,it was probably by poison to make the mystical BS happen.
Even other followers dismiss claims Mike had any power aside from his feats of self mutilation through self training,Taekwondo and Hwarangdo/Hapkido.

If you are writing a book I think it best you get real facts over stories of a legend,created by people selling magic tricks,mystical skills,(Never duplicated by them or anyone else again), and a martial arts style or falsifying a persons past to be more than they are/were  to sell writings by them in SOF mags.

Mike was a Soldier who served his country,got wounded in doing so,rehabilitated himself ,persued martial arts,found an Instructor who thought he could do something with Mike,gave him some basic skills ,put him in a school and Mike walked away to just hang out with a friend on an Army Base in North Carolina,a to earn his keep he started to teach the abreviated art he knew and being a Great showman sold it and the Mystical crap that went with it and developed a following,became a writer and was used by the owner of the mag to persue working,training and writing first hand accounts of civil and military unrest and actions,Mike died doing those things.
(Whether used by Brown alone or through Brown by the Government)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »

Jim, I think you done ran him off!
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 09:56:46 AM »

I should be immune to this stuff by now, but I an still flabbergasted by the BS that abounds in ma/sd business. Probably it's the same in all business. And the sad part is the number of people who don't care. They will still buy products, attend seminars, etc...

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »

You can find products sold in TRS-type ads for almost anything, as well as ads for courses on how to make money selling all those products, and even courses on how to make money selling courses on how to sell such products.  It's everywhere.

I don't think Echanis is a big deal.  Few people today even know about him.  Unlike Bruce Lee there is no system he set up with many current practitioners.  He is just discussed on some combatives and martial arts forums and few people outside combatives discussion forums or Hwa Rang Do even know who he was, and  Hwa Rang Do isn't all that popular. 

I also doubt many seriously train with his books.  I suspect that most who bought them in recent years collect them along with other old combatives or martial arts books just to have for their libraries.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 07:27:53 AM »

I thought about buying one of his knife fighting books, many moons ago.  There's a good reason why I never did, though. 

The cover picture on this book just looked to Hollywood/fake/cheesy.  http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Throwing-Combat-Special-Ranger-Udt/dp/089750058X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339248328&sr=1-2

And that's saying something, considering I was in my early 20s at the time and I was still goggle-eyed at all the cool stuff in the MA world.  After learning more about the guy, I'm glad.  I don't like to support frauds in any way.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

Good God- the price for the knife throwing book starts at $82. And I threw mine in the garbage years ago.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Did it land in the can on the first throw?

Hock

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »

I remember when I picked a copy of Micheal Enchanis' green book. I was in my late teens at the time. Of course it was very thin and only for a few bucks. It was really something seeing such defenses against a knife, must say I was really an admirer of Mr. Enchanis. Picked up his red book on stick fighting, and again was amazed. Both books gave me some insight on weapons which later on got me into Arnis training with Mr. Lynn. Even though the all of this info is coming out about Enchanis, and its a darn shame if that is the truth about him, which would not surprise me in this day and age. It did help me to know that there was more out there than just sport karate.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 03:40:30 PM »

The new Black Belt Magazine has a full two pages dedicated to the REVERSE Grip use of a knife and tells us that Mike Echanis is the one who really brought the Reverse Grip into Public View and made people think of it as a Real Fighting Method.They also tell us that all of Mike's original Books show cased the Reverse grip knife usage  and to buy Black Belts Book on Mike Echanis Methods.

I guess Black Belt Magazine has forgot their past issues and the writings and depictions of Samurai using the Tanto in Reverse Grip.
(I think they were pre Echanis,lol)

I am sure  that reverse grip was used in all cultures, through all ages since the development of the Blade.

I do not see Mike Echanis,even though pictured on the cover of his knife book with a reverse grip,as being the catalyst for the growth of reverse grip usage and fighting,lol.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

You know Jim...I think you and I just need to go and retire somewhere. All this stuff can drive us crazy.

We'll take up a new hobby. See you at McDonald's tomorrow morning. Coffee is on me.

Hock

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »

Hello, Hock - good to be on your forum - interesting thread - as you know I've researched and written on Michael Echanis for a number of years now - with the introduction of the new Spyderco Warrior and a recent Black Belt article on Echanis as well as the booklet that comes with Spyderco's evolution of the AMK and REKAT Warriors - I dusted off my research data and have edited in great depth the Wikipedia page for Echanis - I think the folks on this thread with find it interesting and it will be a work in progress - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Echanis
Greg Walker (Retired - 2005)
United States Army Special Forces
El Salvador/Operation Iraqi Freedom

"No Fallen Comrade Left Behind"

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:33 PM »

Regarding Echanis as being a "mean bastard" this is my understanding, as well.  The training he was conducting in Nicaragua ended up injuring so many of the students in the program that concerns were voiced by the appropriate NIC chain of command.  Randy Wanner, in one of several interviews with me, shared a number of insights as to Echanis' disregard for civilian casualties during firefights in NIC as well as during the 1978 National Palace take-over.  Chuck Sanders, again according to Wanner, was as described on this thread.  Very nice fellow, very well trained and experienced, an actual SFQC graduate who'd been with 5th Group and was part of the Special Warfare Studies Group at Bragg.  Wanner considered Sanders far more dangerous than Echanis in terms of being a professional soldier and SOF operator.  Another key player in all of this is Chief Warrant Officer Gary O'Neil whose association with Echanis I've detailed on the Wikipedia link.  Gary is in the process of completing his life's story with co-author David Fisher (one of the best in the business).  The book will be out after the first of the year.  I've encouraged Gary to include material on his relationship beginning in Vietnam with Echanis (Gary was his squad leader in C Company, 75th Ranger Infantry) and ending with Gary's A-Team in NIC conducting the body recovery mission of the downed aircraft and its occupants...then returning Echanis to Ontario, Oregon, for burial with full military honors.  I've talked with Gary several times regarding Echanis and have the utmost respect for him as one of the truly superb SOF operators in our community.  Finally, Jon Ford at Paladin Press had been for years asking me to consider doing a book on Echanis.  I've always declined and for one simple reason.  I'd write the whole story and it would be properly referenced / researched.  As with all of us there are parts to our lives that are less than inspiring.  Echanis was no different.  Years ago I'd spoken with his mom by phone and I came away from that wonderful conversation knowing the Echanis family continues to grieve the loss of their son and no good would come of causing them more pain than to "tell it like it was" regarding Echanis' darker side and mis-adventures.  He is a historical figure with a foot in the often crazy worlds of commercial martial arts/"soldiers of fortune" and international history (the war in Nicaragua, specifically the National Palace takeover as detailed on the WikiPedia link.  It's the balance of telling the story without causing undue discomfort / harm to the Echanis family that is the historian's objective. 

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »

Have ordered the re-package of the first three Echanis/Wanner books from Amazon.  Early reviews on Amazon offer the quality of the project publishing wise is far less than wished for.  However there are new forwards which should be interesting.

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »

In absolute agreement with JimH ref the following -

No where have I ever found where Echanis claimed to be graduate of Airborne School, Ranger School or SFQC.  No where have I ever seen both published and unpublished photos of Echanis where he was wearing any nation's jump wings or a Ranger tab.  Nor have I seen where he was awarded a Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) which would require 11 Bravo (Infantry) or Special Forces designator (old "S" designator) or current "18 Series".  Vietnam era LRRP/RECON/Ranger companies often - as has been mentioned elsewhere - were manned by non-Ranger School graduate personnel. For years now private sector proponents of seeing the Ranger Tab awarded to acknowledged members of these units under specific criteria have petitioned for this and to date, to my knowledge, have been politely rebuked by the Army.  Echanis was assigned to Company C, 75th Infantry, according to Chief Warrant Officer Gary O'Neal.  In past conversations with Gary he has chosen never to comment on Echanis' "tab" credentials one way or the other.  He has confirmed his Bronze Star with "V" and Purple Heart.  He has and continues to offer his professional opinion that Echanis was a good soldier when he knew him.

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

Hello Mr Walker.
Thank you for your service,your book ,articles and research/work on THE Resister,Mr Barry and Others.

Mr Echanis served his country,was wounded in doing so,served as a Contractor/SOF under Mr Brown and or who ever was running him, and Mr Echanis paid the price with his life.

To me I have NEVER Read Mr Echanis making claims to being anything other than a Basic Soldier who was wounded ,the stories are exagerated by those who sought to make money from him,SOF Mag,Mr Brown,Black Belt Magazine,Mr Jo Bong Lee and his Hwarangdo association .

The book to write would be one on Mr Brown,Soldier of Fortune and the handlers there,lol.

Jim

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 05:34:37 PM »

Hi, Jim -

Thank you for the kind words.

Again, I am in total agreement with you.  I just updated the Wikipedia thread for the final time although I will revisit it now and then to see what others may be encouraged to add with - hopefully - references to support their editorial.

That entire time period (the 1970s) was incredibly kinetic for the martial arts world, high risk contracting (or whatever else one wishes to call it these days), and our Special Operations Forces. 

Echanis was, as I note on Wikipedia, an enigma and very successful one.

He was more than anything else, however, a beloved son and brother to his family.

He was a Vietnam veteran assigned to a ranger company and shortly thereafter combat wounded and cited for his Valor under fire.  He achieved a remarkable physical recovery while in hospital and became a Wounded Warrior.  He was ultimately honorably discharged as a disabled veteran with all due benefits and the honor due our Wounded, Injured and Ill.     

Lao-Tzu wrote, "Even after death, those who are remembered will remain."

Certainly this can be said of Michael D. Echanis.

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »

As for the assignment given me as a Special Forces soldier by then Major General Kenneth R. Bowra, at the time the USASFC Commander, regarding the Special Forces Underground/Resister...

Once the mission was completed on behalf of the Command and with the "green light" given by the Command to tell the story you refer to I was honored to do so.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/1999/summer/a-defector-in-place?page=0,0

There is no place in the Special Operations Community for what Mr. Barry represented under the color of both an Army uniform and our most honored and bled for "Green Beret".

De Oppresso Liber -

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 06:11:31 PM »

In some of John LaTourrette's (the guy with the "Speed Hitting" ads in Black Belt) writings he mentions training Echanis and discussed him as if they were close.  Was his training a significant influence on Echanis? 

Greg Walker

• Level 3
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »

LaTourrette lived for many years in Idaho which is Echanis' birth state.  "Dr. John" offered many years ago that he provided training to Echanis and went as far as to grow an Echanis style mustache and adopt, for a period of time, an eerie likeness to Echanis. 

Both shared a strong interest in the subject of remote viewing and profound psychological powers for use in combatives.

Whether they actually knew each other much less trained together would have to be properly documented / supported by photos, neither form of evidence that I can recall ever seeing.

The current website for LaTourrette kinda says it all for me...

http://www.johnlatourrette.com/

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »

I would doubt that Mr John La Tourrette ever met or trained with Mike Echanis.
Mr La Tourrette opened his Kenpo school in Idaho in 1974.
Mr Echanis was already in California and should have started his training in Hwarangdo.
Mr Echanis had said he had trained in Judo or Jujitsu as a Kid and then he trained in Taekwondo earning his Black Belt,Supposedly when stationed in Korea in the Military,( I do not think he was ever actually stationed in Korea),I believe he trained in Taekwondo after his discharge.

I knew that Mr Echanis was into the Mental Aspects of Training and Stress AWARENESS and the ability to use the mind/Mind Set to create feelings needed for combat,but I never heard that Mike was into remote viewing.

My knowledge of remote Viewing is kind of limited,but I have some Knowledge.
I know that it was believed the Russians had developed Mentalists who were able to remote View and that the US had wanted to find out if it were possible and they conducted testing and a search for those who had any skills in that area. At the Height of the program they had 22 people who worked in the program,only 7 people supposedly had real skill as Remote Viewers.
The Program ,which was depicted in Men who Stare at Goats Movie, was discussed at BRAGG but the Program was actually at Ft Meade under the name STARGATE Project.( the people in the program were interviewed on 60 minutes or 20/20 at the end of the program)

Mr Savalli,who dropped a Goat ,supposedly with mind control at Bragg,was not ,as far as I know,a Remote Viewer and I do not believe he ever claimed to be.
Mr Savelli,as Mike Echanis,Col Rowe and others did want training into the power of the mind in relation to Battelfield application but the program at Bragg and the Program at Ft Meade eventually produced small returns  and met their financial end.
(No one ,even after many years,accomplished what Mr Savelli did,ONE TIME, all that was gained was the ability to remain calm and more sensitivity in relation to that which was around you,animalistic sensitivity.)
I have met  one of the Remote viewers from Ft Meade and there is a List of those who actually had the skill and were there till the end of the program and Mr Echanis and Mr La Tourrette were never part of the program.
Again I think the truth is being stretched in regards to the powers of these men due to the fact they were Martial artists.
Jo Bong Lee even claimed such skills were able to be developed by dedicated training in hwarangdo. Well if this is so where are the remote viewers or those able to kill with mind control ? Did Dr  Lee have such skills at his level ? NO
Hapkido with a new name to be different than the rest.
Scientology of the Martial arts world,lol.

Mike Echanis was a Man who trained in Martial arts and did STUNTS  to make people believe in Mystical Powers.
Tony Robbins just did the same with his Training and his  recent end of training fire walking got a load of people got burned this time.
Stunts are stunts ,not mind control.
Fire walking is a trick ,as are breaking demos ,as is being run over by a duece and a half,(when you dig a hole and lay in it and make it look like the truck is running you over,lol.Gulible public believes Mystical crap.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Download