W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 22, 2018, 05:58:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Size Matters by Mark Hatmaker  (Read 6280 times)

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
Re: Size Matters by Mark Hatmaker
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 01:26:52 AM »

Great to see that Hock's ideas and concepts are catching on.  "Size Matters" is an original Hockism that goes against the grain of most all grapplers especially BJJers.  Other traditonal martial arts such as Wing Chun have also used the "size doesn't matter" tagline in selling their system because the style was invented by a female. 

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

gematriot

• Level 4
    • Systema training adapted to YOUR contemporary needs and goals
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 02:53:13 AM »

martial arts such as Wing Chun have also used the "size doesn't matter" tagline

Emin Boztepe, the "top Wing Tsun Fighter", would state many times that strength training was not required, and was even an hindrance. He however spent many hours in the gym to just that end...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG-re_WBrmw&NR=1

"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense. Mark it well. "

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:10:37 AM »

Emin also trained in Thai Boxing and Wrestling, but being attached to that whole WT money machine he had to keep those myths alive.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

TLE

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 05:14:35 AM »

I believe the thrust of this atricle is sample size when trying to spot trends in what sd and ma approaches work and what don't .

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 06:29:12 AM »

The real litmus test is where do those "fight metrics" come from:
- mixed martial arts?
- traditional martial arts?
- police statistics?
- military statistics?
- professional personal experiences: working on the door, close protection, professional security?
- citizen personal experiences: being attacked, street fights, threatened?

Each group has their own "Fight Metrics" but still many will analyse this in relation to MMA or boxing.  In the article if you replaced high-kick with palm strike, which one would you choose to give preference in your training, the palm strike or the sprawl?

Joe
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:39:34 AM by Joe Hubbard »

Hunter S. Thompson

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 07:51:03 AM »

"...and that is why God made weight classes."

In every seminar I start with a short opening about the Stop 6 and about the "mixed weapons world" and "mixed persons world." And by a "mixed persons world" I warn that we are all different ages, sizes, shapes and strengths.

If you and I are within a 15% or so, same size, stength and shape, the proscribed techniques have a good chance of working on each other. If not, you have to excel in one of those categories to bring yourself up into the overall "15%." Extra fast. Extra strong, etc. But size does matter and always has.

Who, What, When, Where, How and Why? Who is the enemy your intelligence predicts you will fight? Who are you? Etc...

Mixed weapons are equalizers too. Sometimes BIG ones. North Korea has nuke weapons.

No cookie cutter system can cover every person, and most systems are cookie cutters.

Hock
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 09:50:20 AM by Hock »

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »

Where  Hock talks about mixed wpns makes a lot of sense- i.e. Never bring a knife to a gun fight-i also agreee that size does matter-add to the size his speed and what is very important is his agression -if he is a insane madman that is one dangerous equation.
WW

hessian1

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »

Hock,

I find myself constantly seeing a lot of what you have been saying being rediscovered by the younger crowd over and over.

WW,
       Gotta disagree about the "never" aspect of the old saw about a knife and a gunfight.
  In my career I've seen several cases where that just didn't play out.  Most recent was a couple years ago in the city where I work there was an in your face confrontation between a dealer and a competitor in a local club.  Man with the knife took one 9mm through the calf muscle and fixed it up at home while the man with the gun was rushed by ambulance to the hospital for a week long stay. In my mind the man with the knife, who by the way ended up taking the gun with him as well and was arrested with it later, won that exchange.
 In my mind it's the player not the game that wins.

Mark H
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:41:03 PM by hessian1 »
Keep safe and train hard,  Mark H

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

In my mind it's the player not the game that wins.

Every time!

Now, THERE'S a quote for a T-shirt for ya'!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »

I do agree but what i was referring to actually is dont go "underarmed"-yes if the knifer gets there first he might win-the knifer who cant get his knife out in time might get
taken out-guess it all depends on the 5 W,s-WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:14 PM »

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »

Interesting to reread

michael

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

0-5 feet I'll take my knife all day long over a gun. I say this as a guy who carries a gun every day for a living, and as someone who was attacked with a knife and survived by killing my assailant with a pistol. In my view, the knife trumps the gun at 0-5 feet if the knife guy knows what he is doing.
**To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.** Carlos Castaneda

Download