Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 28, 2017, 02:14:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Malvin Traylor - or Mal Traylor Military Fraud, SpecialOps/Forces Fraud, Con-Man  (Read 24204 times)

cbodungen

• Forum Member

Mal Traylor or Malvin Traylor

Since at least early 2007, Mal Traylor or Malvin Traylor of Dark Gift Combat out of Houston, TX has touted himself to his students and peers to have come from a background of military training, in many cases Special Forces.  This is evidenced through several accounts of direct witnesses and in the form of sales pitches, elaborate stories, and often referenced while teaching his “reality based martial arts.” The fact is however, according to the Federal Archives and finally by his own rare admittance, that he was never even in the military.

Malvin Traylor never actually listed any military training in his credentials in writing anywhere but there is a long list of his former and current students, as well as peers, that have witnessed his claims. This is not coming from just me. Hock has even talked to a few of the other individuals and has heard their accounts as well. So far the list of claims includes:

1.   former Green Beret

2.   formerly “attached to a Green Beret unit”

3.   former Army Ranger/has had Army Ranger training

4.   referenced his former “military training” on several accounts while teaching to
        support whatever lesson or technique he was demonstrating at the time

5.   actually wore a seemingly authentic green beret in public in conjunction with
         civilian clothing

6.   trained SEAL team 6 with Paul Vunak "back in the day" (Vunak denied it)

7.   advertises he has trained several military, law enforcement, and government
        agencies including the CIA, FBI, DEA, etc. (He is piggybacking off of Vunak's
        advertisements but he doesn't make a clear separation between Vunak's systems
        accomplishments and his own system's.)

8.   passes himself off as a former military operator and tactical firearms instructor but
        according to Hock, he admitted to known gun instructor Rob Hamic that he has
        never even actually ever fired a live weapon. (Back then anyway. As of this
        posting it appears that he has now qualified on a live firing range.)

When asked as to why he doesn’t list these "credentials", he explains that he was dishonorably discharged, so he doesn’t list it as it may just cause more potential problems than it’s worth. To top it all off he has a nice elaborate story to explain his dishonorable discharge. More than a few people have heard it and it goes something like this:

“I was on an operation where we were dropping in behind enemy lines. Our window of opportunity had passed and the mission was now in jeopardy because there was now enough sunlight to silhouette us in the sky and we would be easily seen by enemy forces. My commanding officer gave us a green light anyway and ordered us to drop. The enemy fired on us and a few of my men were killed (Notice by this account he was not only Special Forces but he commanded a team.) When I returned from the mission I decked my commanding officer, thus receiving a dishonorable discharge.”

If I was going to make up a story like that, first off, I wouldn’t pick one from a Steven Seagal movie.

In rebuttal, Malvin Traylor  has claimed that all of this was “intentional misinformation” to see what his students would do with it. First, Bullshit. Second, why would you do that? And third, what kind of instructor, or person for that matter, would do such a thing? He has also claimed that I made all of this up because I am a local competitor and former business partner (more on that later). Well, again, there are several other witnesses and “victims” if you will; and, there are other “competitors” in this city that I get along with great. I am a *former* business partner because I wanted to disassociate myself with him for these and several other similar “career suicide” type practices.

The bottom line is that this is a clear case of using fraudulent military credentials (even if only used verbally) in order to promote one’s career and provide false credit and credentials. I am posting this because to this day Malvin Traylor  is still referencing his “military training” and duping students and peers, and they along with any would be students need to be aware of it. If he is going to teach in the “reality based martial arts” market, or any other combat art or style, he needs to do it on his own credentials and accord (more on that in a bit) and not by crapping on the honor of the men and women who have actually served (many of whom have passed while serving). However, by now it is a credibility and character flaw issue.

I will be asking several of the other witnesses to come forward on this thread as well in order to provide evidence and further corroboration.  I will be posting evidence and further claims on this thread as well, to include financial cons and fraud.

(Financial Cons Next... To Be Continued...)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:57:10 AM by Hock »

cbodungen

• Forum Member
Re: Malvin Traylor - Military Fraud, Special Ops/Forces Fraud, Con-Man
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

According to federal law, you cannot own a firearm if you have a dishonorable discharge, nor can you obtain a CHL (Concealed Handgun License). Yet, he is claiming to be a tactical firearms instructor and according to his new website and new school, he offers CHL training. (I'm sure the CHL training is offered by his partner but he is still qualifying on the live range and is apparently working towards his CHL.) You also can't obtain a security officer license of any type or work for a security company. Yet his new company that he either owns part of or is working with/for has a PSB (Private Security Bureau) License#. They seem to provide security and private investigation services and training.

Even if we didn't have a witness to him admitting he wasn't in the military, and even if you couldn't get proof through the Federal Archives, this should still raise a red flag. It either proves he is lying, or puts him in felony status.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »

In teaching in the Houston, Texas area, I have had numerous ex-Malvern Traylor students look me dead in the eye and tell me that Malvern Traylor told them he was a former Green Beret. And, they told me some of the tall-tale stories.

I am involved in this because Malvern Traylor was once a Basic PAC instructor in my PAC program and while he never lied directly to me or told me any of these tales, I liked the guy and he knew the PAC 1, 2, 3 material.  Now, of course he is no longer one. I can't abide by such common, low-life, military fraud and deception.

All I did sniff out was a few passing remarks about he and Paul Vunak that I knew could not be correct. I know Vu since 1987 and I know people very, very close to Vunak thru the years and right up to this day. This remarks did not jell.

Hock      
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:12:03 PM by Hock »

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:22 AM »

This Dark Gift thing- wasn't this a system created by one of Vunak's senior guys from Arizona?  Isn't Snake linked to these guys somehow- the original Vunak instructors?  From Malvern's website you'd think he came up with this dark gift thing, but I'm sure it was another Vunak guy- can't think of his name right now.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:44 AM »

Eric Bentzen is the founder of Dark Gift, back in California. I knew some of the original "Dark Gift" people in California in the 1990s. They were good guys just doing their thing and also coming to my Los Angeles area seminars. Malvern Traylor was not one of them.

In the past, Snake hosted me in his Los Angeles school and I think these guys may have attended some there too. No doubt Snake knows Eric Bentzen. Snake is an ADDICTED picture taker of everyone he meets and there might be some photos somewhere of him and the old Dark Gift hands. Not Malvern Traylor.

Traylor moved to Texas.

Eric is really good guy with a good program. I send him people. I just saw him about three years ago in Phoenix. Eric should not be confused with Traylor.

I'll bet Eric, like me, is just grimacing right now.

Hock

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

This Dark Gift thing- wasn't this a system created by one of Vunak's senior guys from Arizona?  Isn't Snake linked to these guys somehow- the original Vunak instructors?  From Malvern's website you'd think he came up with this dark gift thing, but I'm sure it was another Vunak guy- can't think of his name right now.

Joe

You are correct, Joe. He has a history of completely plagiarizing other people's work and passing it off as his own. He will even go so far as to claim that *they* copied off of him. For example, in addition what you point out, he got certified in Peter Brusso's Defender self defense tool. He completely copied the entire design, made a *slight* modification and then started selling it with the claim that he and his wife invented it. Made no reference to Master Brusso. It wasn't until Master Brusso got on to him about it that he changed the claim but I have a screen shot of the original post.

Going back to the Dark Gift thing from the Vunak Camp. There was a branch off from Vunak called Dark Gift JKD. Traylor claims that's who he trained under and that they came up with the name together. However, he makes no mention of him in his credentials. You can see the pattern and judge for yourself. He will claim every credential under the sun even if embellished but if it can be traced and verified to be false he won't list it.

If you look at his website, his entire program is nothing but one big plagiarization from Vunak for the most part. Progressive Fighting System vs. Dark Gift Combat Fighting System vs. Dark Gift JKD - Vunak's CEI program (now called Descendants of the Masters) vs. the DGC I.C.P. program - Vunak's RAT vs. DGCFS RAT. Very little about any of it is changed but the name. He even copied Vunak's shirt down to the letter (with DEA, FBI, CIA etc. on the sleeve) and just changed the name of the system to his own making it look like HIS system trained all those agencies.

All this tells me is that if you have a system, he will come train with you for a weekend or two, plagiarize it all and pass it off as his own creation. That's what he has always done.

He justifies it by saying "there is nothing new under the sun" but there is a huge difference between teaching something you learned from another system and completely plagiarizing another system or idea by just changing the name and passing it off as your own.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:35:37 PM by cbodungen »

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:14 AM »

According to his pattern and history, he probably met Eric Bentzen once or attended a seminar or two and then just took the name along with the entire idea just like he did with Vunak. Seems like a hybrid between the two.

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »

Yes, Eric that's the guy.  He was one of Vunak's seniors around the same time James Wilks was with Paul.  There was anothere guy who I met in the UK called Scotty (big guy) who trained a bit with Demi.  I'm sure he was training with Eric as well.

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 05:35:15 PM »

Oz El says -

"And when I met him, he made the statement that he was the highest PFS instructor in all of Texas, yet I've been a student of a Senior Instructor in Texas of Vu's in PFS for some time; so I knew that was wrong.
    He also said he was a Phase 2 instruct...or, which he was actually a Phase 1, since I was there when he signed in at the California Seminar for the training.
    He also claimed to be a blue belt in BJJ at one time, then claimed he was very closed to getting his Black Belt; I guess who ever is ranking him gives rank very quickly."

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »

Vu gives those Phase One certs out to anybody who does a day's training with him.  To get a Full Instructorship or Senior Full Instructorship under Vu is still quite hard.

Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:22 AM »

Vu gives those Phase One certs out to anybody who does a day's training with him.  To get a Full Instructorship or Senior Full Instructorship under Vu is still quite hard.

Joe

And actually, although Malvin has Phase 1 listed on his credentials, he is listed as an Apprentice Instructor according to Vu's website:

http://fighting.net/main.php?page=descendants

Malvin also has listed that he is a C.E.I., which is now the Descendants of the Masters program. He isn't listed there on Vu's page either.

Malvin always made such a big deal about other people being "paper dragons" or people that collect certifications just to pad their resumes. However, if you look at his credentials, it's nothing but a bunch of the easier to get lower level certifications. Many of which you can obtain from a weekend or even a day's worth of training. He hasn't ever taken it to the next level or really made an effort to level up, even when the seminars are in his own city. He has always only attended the seminars that he hosts himself. It's almost as if all he is doing is getting the quick and easy certification to impress the unsuspecting and that's it. Further proof, he has 4 certificates listed: 1st Dan Hap-Ki Do, 1st Dan Kenpo, 1st Dan Jui-Jitsu, and 1st Dan Black Arts Close Quarter Combat. They are from the "Black Arts Society" and all have the exact same date listed on them. All he did was submit a video of him performing 100 or some odd techniques and he was awarded all 4 of those certificates. Claiming those certificates as legitimate credentials is the epitome of a "paper dragon."

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »

I removed this post because I agree not everything needs to be disclosed unless a valid reason pops up.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:34:44 AM by cbodungen »

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »

I removed this post because I agree not everything needs to be disclosed unless a valid reason pops up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:07:33 PM by cbodungen »

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:51 PM »

I'm starting to get the impression this guy is untrustworthy.

I firmly believe that a quick warning serves a better and more positive purpose than taking the time to outline all the reasons why so-and-so is a fraud and a scam artist.  If a dude's a scam artist, and other people back up that claim, especially people who are reputable, that's good enough for me.  No need to air out all the dirty laundry...unless it's Jim Wagner.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 08:10:20 PM »

I'm starting to get the impression this guy is untrustworthy.

I firmly believe that a quick warning serves a better and more positive purpose than taking the time to outline all the reasons why so-and-so is a fraud and a scam artist.  If a dude's a scam artist, and other people back up that claim, especially people who are reputable, that's good enough for me.  No need to air out all the dirty laundry...unless it's Jim Wagner.

Kent

You are getting the impression that *I'm* untrustworthy?? Or were you being sarcastic about Traylor?

I believe certain things need to be disclosed in order to keep future people from getting screwed over in the same way.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 06:06:27 AM »

CBO=I think that Jim Wagner gets top priority is due to him falseifying himself in the police /military/martial arts community whch bothers many (and rightly so)  of the forum members who are or have been part of those organizations for years.

I never met the man and realy dont want to-

respectflly, WW

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »

No, actually, I meant this Traylor fellow.  What makes JW more important is the fact that he has had much higher amounts of publicity for a longer period of time than a lot of other martial arts frauds and con-men.

Kent

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »

No, actually, I meant this Traylor fellow.  What makes JW more important is the fact that he has had much higher amounts of publicity for a longer period of time than a lot of other martial arts frauds and con-men.

Kent

I figured I had misunderstood. Please accept my apologies if I offended you. As far as Wagner vs. Traylor goes, It is simply my opinion that regardless of whether he had the ability to harm or negatively influence thousands or only just a few, the solution is the same. After all, Wagner started off being little known at first and then was allowed to grow. Whose to say Traylor wouldn't do the same left unchecked.

Regardless, I do agree with and respect much of what you have said and have retracted a couple of my posts as a result.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:35 AM »

Nah, man, I don't get offended that easily.  I'm in the infantry.  My opinion is that a little goes a long way when it comes to outing someone as a fraud.

Kent

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 10:03:31 AM »

Nah, man, I don't get offended that easily.  I'm in the infantry.  My opinion is that a little goes a long way when it comes to outing someone as a fraud.

Kent

Outstanding. Well on any account I have posted all that I have to post in terms of outing Traylor and have even retracted a couple. Anything else from here on out will only be in response to any other posts if needed.

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »

CBO-looking forward to more pertinent marial arts info from you-
ww

Will have some of the other former students post on here to corroborate.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:11:43 AM by cbodungen »

cbodungen

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »

I just found out that according to the immigration office he is not a legal citizen. He has neither a social security card nor a green card. He was brought here as a child and subsequently adopted. However, he never became naturalized after turning 18. Some people may care some may not. I personally find it a big deal. I do not support the immigration of illegal immigrants in the U.S.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:17:31 PM by cbodungen »

EricBentzenDGC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »

Ok now this one is very interesting!

EricBentzenDGC

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »

1st and foremost I came up with the name Dark Gift Concepts on my own, Sad because I dropped off the radar for awhile doing some Self-Preservation and came back to find Dark Gift Combat. Yes he did tell me he did it out of respect, no I didn't know until I found him myself and No I don't get any compensation or credit as should be given for something that is uniquely mine.

He did offer to host a Seminar @ his place many a times but since Vu came in the picture I seem to just be paper in the wind. Yes I do know Malvin. I had met him back in the 90's when he was a TKD instructor @ CardioFit here in Rancho Cucamonga, he took a few classes with me here and there and then went his way.

I've struggled with the fact that he did what he did came to the conclusion: Everyone who is anyone knows Dark Gift Concepts and any form you put it is me, if he wants to run with it well guess I'm flattered that he used it, mad that I wasn't given full proper credit every time out and looking towards the future for Dark Gift Concepts as anyone who knows me knows I hold true to my word.

Malvin is on my friends list on FB and he does have me on the NFCOA site as recognized instructor.

All in all I see things try to laugh and take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Any questions I would love to answer them. An thank you to those (Hock, Joe) who backed my good name and Dark Gift Concepts.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:30:04 PM by EricBentzenDGC »

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:51 AM »

Welcome Eric!  Nice to have you here and hope that you are well.

Best- Joe

Hunter S. Thompson

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:40 AM »

I just found out that according to the immigration office he is not a legal citizen. He has neither a social security card nor a green card. He was brought here as a child and subsequently adopted. However, he never became naturalized after turning 18. Some people may care some may not. I personally find it a big deal. I do not support the immigration of illegal immigrants in the U.S.

I cannot fathom why ths would not bother absolutely everyone!  This is disgusting, but wait...stand by for Presidential pardon.

Hunter S. Thompson

EricBentzenDGC

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »

Thank you Joe very much look forward to being part of the community.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

Sadly for me, I just caught wind of how Malvern in Houston, by his still claiming to be an instructor under me, in currently giving me a bad name in the area.

What is it they say about bad pennies? They keep turning up?

Hock

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

Sadly for me, I just caught wind of how Malvern in Houston, by his still claiming to be an instructor under me, in currently giving me a bad name in the area.

What is it they say about bad pennies? They keep turning up?

Hock

I'm up for a Houston trip to check out the school.....love to meet another Hock instructor for a lesson.
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »

Can I go? Pretty please!
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!
Pages: [1] 2

Download