W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• May 25, 2018, 02:53:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Halo Luminous Sight  (Read 9467 times)

5shot

• Level 1
Halo Luminous Sight
« on: June 25, 2011, 04:49:55 PM »

Put together an article on a plain, simple, cheap and easy-to-use sighting device I came up with, due to problems I was having using my video camera.

Your welcome to add one to your camera/s or gun/s; and at your own risk and expense of course. :)

Here's a multi-pic that sort of explains it.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.pointshooting.com/1ahalo.htm

A caution about self defense use:

Scientific investigations and studies of Police combat cases, have established that sights are not used or may not be able to be used in real close quarters life threat situations.  As such, one may not be able to use the Halo sight effectively in such a situation, but it's easier and quicker to use than the sights.

So, if you are a sight shooter and have a gun for self defense, learning how to aim and shoot accurately at close distances without using the sights, and to get comfortable shooting that way, makes sense.

And that could get you into taking the next and logical step of learning a method of threat focused shooting.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
Re: Halo Luminous Sight
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »

Milldog, I think I need you to respond to this as only you can.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »

What will they think of doing with old plastic hair curlers next?
You will have to buy a hair curler gun holster?

Hock

Keith Miller

• Level 4
  • "Shut the F@*k Up, Donnie!"
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »

Dear Douchebag,

You have officially used up any good graces that I will extend to you on this forum. This post takes the cake for being the dumbest fucking thing I have ever seen in my life!

Dumber than you shooting with your middle finger!

Dumber than glueing a bent piece of plastic to the slide of your gun!

Dumber than your page after page of endless nonsense website!

You are the only person on the planet that thinks it's a good idea to dig shit out of your neighbor's garbage and glue it to your gun. Everyone who reads one of your posts is instantly dumber. Please Leave this Forum!

Do not post here again!

And by the way. Even the old ladies you borrowed the hair curlers from hate you.

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:45:16 PM »

Hey Keith, I wonder if this guy has relatives walking amongst us?
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

Thank you!

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »

Hey Keith, I wonder if this guy has relatives walking amongst us?

Possible in Jolly Old.

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »

I would love to be a member of the range that this Dildo shoots at. The stories must be fantastic!

Hepcat

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:44 PM »

Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for poutine.
----------------------------------------------
"I am a very disciplined student of tai chi but I am currently hooked on nitrous oxide and scotch and my practice has suffered" - Eddie Pepitone

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 02:27:24 AM »

http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

I had totally forgotten about this.  Thanks for posting it.

Kent

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:55:33 AM »

I think it's the same guy.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:53:50 PM »

I think it's the same guy.

I was thinking about that myself, but you'd think there would have been some posts about holding the safety of the nation in his hands.

Kent

5shot

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 06:57:39 PM »

Dear Douchebag,

You have officially used up any good graces that I will extend to you on this forum. This post takes the cake for being the dumbest fucking thing I have ever seen in my life!

Dumber than you shooting with your middle finger!

Dumber than glueing a bent piece of plastic to the slide of your gun!

Dumber than your page after page of endless nonsense website!

You are the only person on the planet that thinks it's a good idea to dig shit out of your neighbor's garbage and glue it to your gun. Everyone who reads one of your posts is instantly dumber. Please Leave this Forum!

Do not post here again!

And by the way. Even the old ladies you borrowed the hair curlers from hate you.

Dearest Keith,

Here's a link to an article I just put up that says Sight Shooters who don't use a Halo-type sight have a death wish. http://www.pointshooting.com/1awish.htm

Believe you may be one of them.

Why not stop with the slander (your post is proof of that - don't you know, but then...),  and address the issue.

What I have noted over the years is that you big huff and puff's, make lot's of noise, but have yet to produce one shred of proof in the form of pics or film or video of Sight shooting ever being used effectively in a CQB situation.

Please big onerous and super macho man, put some up or whimper away.

You got proof, I'll be the first to say "right on dude" but then, I have never seen any.

Here's a link to my page that's awaiting, for a long long time now, to post proof of what you say is true. http://www.pointshooting.com/1april1.htm

Thanks for making my day.

I usually don't post after a glass or two, but this is like a first run movie if not better, and at home with glass in hand. Any misspelling and drifting off to here or there-in will show that to be the case. (As in your case of the word glueing. :)  You been drinking 2 bro?)

Cheers... :) :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:15:12 PM by 5shot »

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:45 PM »

Dear Misguided 5Shot,

How about you go talk to the thousands of returning COMBAT veterans, who like myself, have never used one of these-here doohickeys, nor have ever needed one, in order to shoot accurately at the bad guys.  In fact, you should respond to this fact before you respond to anything else, or anyone else.  According to your "information", it's a miracle any of us, and yes that includes myself, ever survived combat, which did include close quarters combat and shooting, without using the "methods" that you are trying to prescribe for shooters.

Also, I have to know:  Are you, or are you not, the original Mall Ninja?

Kent

5shot

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »

Dear Misguided 5Shot,

How about you go talk to the thousands of returning COMBAT veterans, who like myself, have never used one of these-here doohickeys, nor have ever needed one, in order to shoot accurately at the bad guys.  In fact, you should respond to this fact before you respond to anything else, or anyone else.  According to your "information", it's a miracle any of us, and yes that includes myself, ever survived combat, which did include close quarters combat and shooting, without using the "methods" that you are trying to prescribe for shooters.

Also, I have to know:  Are you, or are you not, the original Mall Ninja?

Kent

Thanks for your service kent, I was one 2, so I'll thank myself, but I was not a combat vet.

My interest is in self defense CQB shooting, not military combat shooting.

Please provide some specifics as to weapons employed, lighting conditions, circumstances, distances, and specifics as to where you on patrol, suprised and etc.. Got any AAR's to support what you say.

No way do I doubt what you say, but it's a cruel world out there.

Here's a link to my bio http://www.pointshooting.com/1amybio.htm

In my "a few cups mood", we used to wonder how long we would last if the Russians ever crossed the border which was about 60 klicks away. Not very damn long that's for sure. And with all those stateside AH's having the newest weapons.

Upon reflection years later, the obvious answer is why give them to the enemy who would have them in any event. :)

BTW, where's the big huff and puff??

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 04:38:09 AM »

Ah, the classic trick of the nutjob.  People on the cable news channels do this all the time, the old "cite your sources" in order to disprove that which was never proven in the first place. 

You do realize that at the very least, the Special Operations community, to include SEALS, SF, Rangers, Delta, SAS, GSG9, and so on and so forth, has been shooting for years in low light conditions, in combat, without using your so-called "techniques"?  It's kind of amazing from your point of view that they haven't all come back dead.  The bottomline here is that your information is faulty, and as someone else pointed out, you adjust the facts to fit your perception.

Now, you may not realize this, but they have this cool new thing that can mount on weapons these days called a "laser".  The word "laser" itself is an acronym, which stands for "Light Amplification through Stimulated Emission of Radiation".  I'm not going to go into the science of how it works, but the cool thing about the laser is that when it's zeroed to the weapon, even just a little bit, you can pull the trigger as soon as the laser is on the target, and pretty much be guaranteed of a hit.  It works so well that some of the bad guys have taken to simply taping laser pointers onto the end of their weapons, on the hand guards.  We even have lasers that are infrared, and can only be seen through night vision optics.  Night vision is another cool thing which I'm not sure that you're aware of, but I'll explain that one later.

Kent

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »

But if I use a laser?
What will I do with my old hair curlers?

Hock

Keith Miller

• Level 4
    • MMA Fitness Online
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »

I don't even know what the issue is. Is this Jackhole saying that he wants to use sights in close quarters or point shooting?

If you prefer point shooting...good for you. I don't care about any of that.

I just think that anybody that shoots with their middle finger and glues common household items to their guns, probably finger paints with their own poop as well.

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »

Now Keith I like that one a lot-keep um comming-WW

SIGnoramus

• Level 2
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 06:17:05 PM »

I just think that anybody that shoots with their middle finger and glues common household items to their guns, probably finger paints with their own poop as well.

Hock, as has been said before, we REALLY need a "like" button on this forum.   ;D
"You can twist perceptions, Reality won't budge" - Neil Peart (RUSH)

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »

Hock, as has been said before, we REALLY need a "like" button on this forum.   ;D

Agreed! I mean, C'mon!!! Even 5shot probably thinks that's funny! I LOVE the sign!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »

I hope this plonker doesn't turn out to be a Brit like myself. We have a long history of precision made firearms and engineering excellence here. Reliability has always been a standard fixture of U.K manufactured weapons, from the Brown Bess, Lee-Enfield, Vickers to the innovative Welrod ( first made in 1938 still used as late as Gulf War one ). I shot Parker & Hale rifles as a kid they are amazingly accurate.
The test of a weapon is it's versatility, the Bren Gun ( LMG ) was used around all conflict zones in WW2 it was still in use ( by then called L4 ) in The Falklands War and was in operational use in Desert Storm. A real weapon ( without the need for any hairdressing ad on's ).     

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 06:40:37 PM »

I hope this plonker doesn't turn out to be a Brit like myself. We have a long history of precision made firearms and engineering excellence here. Reliability has always been a standard fixture of U.K manufactured weapons, from the Brown Bess, Lee-Enfield, Vickers to the innovative Welrod ( first made in 1938 still used as late as Gulf War one ). I shot Parker & Hale rifles as a kid they are amazingly accurate.
The test of a weapon is it's versatility, the Bren Gun ( LMG ) was used around all conflict zones in WW2 it was still in use ( by then called L4 ) in The Falklands War and was in operational use in Desert Storm. A real weapon ( without the need for any hairdressing ad on's ).     

I adore Enfield rifles.  The Lee-Enfield was a masterpiece, I think.  I read a book about Rorke's Drift during the Zulu war, and the simplicity of the Lee-Enfield seems to have played a large part in the successful defense by the British.  I've shot the enfield .303s before, and I've found numerous Enfields when doing searches in Afghanistan.  A true weapon that stands the test of time.  We found one that was stamped 1864.  I don't know if that was the year it was made, but it was still functional, so if it was, it was well made and well cared for.

Kent

Webby

• Level 4
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 11:13:21 AM »

The troops used Martini-Henry's in the Anglo-Zulu War, they where a main stay of the Victorian army. Some examples where found among Afghan Tribesmen in use as late as the Russian invasion in 1979. A well made, robust gun with a simple action is far more likely to far better than a fancy thing with light's, beam's etc. The Afghan's are also big fans of the Lee-Enfield. The short action and rapid fire combined with low maintainace and solid construction make for a good weapon.

Webby...    

see film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck66O0osLhQ
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:19:09 AM by Hock »

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 12:18:49 PM »

The troops used Martini-Henry's in the Anglo-Zulu War, they where a main stay of the Victorian army. Some examples where found among Afghan Tribesmen in use as late as the Russian invasion in 1979. A well made, robust gun with a simple action is far more likely to fare better than a fancy thing with light's, beam's etc. The Afghan's are also big fans of the Lee-Enfield. The short action and rapid fire combined with low maintainace and solid construction make for a good weapon.

Webby...    

see film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck66O0osLhQ

You're right, I mis-remembered.  I got my history confused, it was after the Zulu war that the Lee-Enfield entered service, because of it's lighter caliber.  I think it was something of a mistake, as I believe the heavy caliber of the Martini-Henry factored a great deal into the success at Rorke's Drift.

The Afghan's know what a good firearm is, that's for sure.

Kent

5shot

• Level 1
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

I say chaps, we're talking pistol here, right eh?

Never been to Britian, but have visted and stayed with friends in Victoria BC. Nice people and a great little get away 2 spot.

As to hair curler cores.

Tried the device on a rifle and it is to small in length and at 2-far a distance to be much good for anything when attached some where between the sights on a rifle.

The point is that when you use the device on a pistol, you can easier and faster correctly align the sights and place them on a target, than is the case, when using the sights.

It is very easy to prove that to be the case all by yourself, if you wish to do that. And you don't have to tell anyone that you tried it, as you don't want them to think of you as a sissy. Right?

Now, if faster and accurate means you will live longer, I think that is a plus.

2 equivalent shooters, one with the device and one trusting to just sights. Wonder who gets shot?

----

I also don't think using the sights at close quarters distances is possible if you believe that you are in a real life threat situation.

I prefer Point Shooting.

Will start a new thread on that for your continuing amusment :) :)

The title will be: Another nail for the Sight Shooting coffin.

Download