W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• October 17, 2017, 07:16:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First aid kit  (Read 5976 times)

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
First aid kit
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:13:26 PM »

Today, during my morning class in which we were covering level 5 UC and doing some sparring, one of the fellows decided to do a take down and both combatants crashed into the wall.  They were about to continue on the ground and then I noticed blood all inside one of the guys hockey helmets so I stopped the fight and we attended to the 3/8" cut he got on his chin when his head smashed into the wall.  I was caught without a first aid kit and we had to scramble a bit.

My question is:  What do you all think is a good list of stuff to put in a fight first aid kit?
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

Milldog1776

Re: First aid kit
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:38:44 PM »

My question is:  What do you all think is a good list of stuff to put in a fight first aid kit?

Start with a good bucket
duct tape
popcicle sticks
a few pipe cleaners maybe
mineral spirits
and lye  :D

Seriously...Just go and buy one of those big kits at Sam's club or Costco. They have everything in them!! There are some nice ones at Target also. Remember...you aren't doing triage, just patching them up till they can get somewhere else.

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:05:03 PM »

Start with a good bucket
duct tape
popcicle sticks
a few pipe cleaners maybe
mineral spirits
and lye  :D

Seriously...Just go and buy one of those big kits at Sam's club or Costco. They have everything in them!! There are some nice ones at Target also. Remember...you aren't doing triage, just patching them up till they can get somewhere else.

I know that it may sound silly, but get the phone numbers (in addition to 911) of your local police, sheriff, fire department, etc. and put it in the kit.....also, if you are the owner, instructions to call you if the kit is used.

'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 08:00:38 PM »

...and get Training Mission 7! Gun 7 is Tactical Medicine where a tactical EMT covers how to take regular items in a home or business and in the field and turn them into first aid.

I did see quite a first kit for sale at Sam's a while back!

Hock

misshinryu

• Level 3
  • Bone, Mass, Density
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 08:44:00 PM »

How about this scenario;
You are on your back while one of your students is on top of you while both of you are viciously going for eyes or throat. Then you you notice that he is bleeding from your simulated eye gouge and it is dripping on your eyelid. :o
Eye wash
Mike Steele
Mercy Triumphs Over Judgement

Trembula

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2005, 06:40:54 AM »

The most useful items...

Athletic tape
Ace bandages
Ice packs
Alcohol and some form of anticeptic cream
Band-Aids
Duct tape

Professor

• In your house drinking your coffee
  • Level 4
  • The Warlord
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 06:46:43 AM »

Another thought...

This is a really good CYA opportunity:

Do you have rules posted?
Do you have emergency procedure posted?
Do you have quarterly/annual review procedures to address saftety in your school?
Do you have an adequate first aid kit?
Do you have insurance?

If I was a prosecutor for an injured student, these are some of the first questions that I would ask....

Jeff
  'Advanced' is being able to do the basics, despite what else is happening. 

Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"  --- Chesty Puller, USMC

Joe Hubbard

• London, England
  • Level 4
  • Transforming the Esoteric with the Exoteric!
    • www.functionalfighting.com
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 08:37:17 AM »

If you are going hard-core and exposed to other peoples blood, you may want to consider a Hepatitis B vaccination.  You can get life cover now with three injections and success rates are high for dveloping the right anti-bodies.

Cheers

Joe
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side"

Hunter S. Thompson

www.joehubbardstreetsurvival.com

Visit My Blog: http://joehubbard.wordpress.com

seanross

• Level 3
    • Sean's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2005, 10:40:02 AM »

Another thought...

This is a really good CYA opportunity:

Do you have rules posted?
Do you have emergency procedure posted?
Do you have quarterly/annual review procedures to address saftety in your school?
Do you have an adequate first aid kit?
Do you have insurance?

If I was a prosecutor for an injured student, these are some of the first questions that I would ask....

Jeff

I don't own a school, I just have a club that meets at the base gym and then at a local community center.  I make everybody sign a waiver  saying they won't sue a whole list of parties (including me) which I have had reviewed by base legal and the City of Albuquerque dept of recration legal staff.  Do you think I should do more?  I am somewhat limited in my resources at the $10/month I charge.
"Do not imitate the ancient masters.  Seek what they sought!"

Nick Hughes

• Level 4
    • Fight Survival
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2005, 10:20:41 PM »

Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch-- at the Battle of the Marne

trbtacmedic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »

A good first aid kit has different sized bandages, antiseptic such as hydrogen peroxide and alcohol or even betadine. Also you need a couple of things for splinting materials either purchased at a health care supply store or stuff you can get around the dojo or home. Also get a blanket, not a space blanket or anything to flimsy, just a good old fashion wool blanket or similar material works best. You can do so much with a plain old blanket. No dont take your kids blanky unless you want them to stop sleeping with it. You also should have some eye wash, latex gloves, and an emergency field guide. Also talk to your local ambulance service or fire department and maybe even your local law enforcement agencies to find a first responder class.  Also get level 7 of the C.Q.C. training and that has alot of info in it and shows some of the kits I have used. Well thats long winded enough catch you later.

cgonzales

• Level 3
  • NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 06:31:44 AM »

why not have your students carry a small first aid kit in there gear with them to class? i'v carried on in my bag for years with a bottle of vitimin I.
(thats ibuprohin)
"HE THAT HATH NO SWORD, LET HIM SELL HIS GARMENT AND BUY ONE."
Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36)

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »

I've had several occasions where my small gear bag kit was the only First Aid kit at a training event. ???
Most inexpensive commercial kits are heavy on minor "kiss and a bandaid" supplies. Which makes sense, since these are the most common needs.
Add a couple of big dressings, ace bandages, maybe a CPR barrier and you're pretty well set.

Since I do a lot of firearms training my kit includes some trauma and gunshot items as well as the usual bandaids and ibuprofen boo-boo gear.

A belt pouch with gloves, trauma dressing, and tourniquet rides next to my flashlight/mag carrier.

Chuck

trbtacmedic

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2005, 11:47:52 AM »

I forgot to mention something in my last post on this . There is a product out on the market called Quickclot that is being used by the military. It is available to be used by any one,even an untrained person out in the field. The info I have seen on it is that it is great on bad wounds and major bleeding. If you go to z-medica.com they should have more info on it. It is thier product and I have been able to buy it for around $25.00. The shelf life in the package is 3 years and after the package has lost its seal its good for 1 year.

mleone

Cayenne Pepper
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 04:49:08 AM »

Alot of people dont really know how usefull cayenne pepper is:
I was a chef for many years and when we cut our selves bad, real bad to the point of stitches.
Cayenne pepper used to clot the wound fast. Most people are under the impression that it would burn you. Thats b.s. cubed and served cold.

Traditional uses:
Cayenne pepper has been used as medicine for centuries. The herb was prescribed for various conditions of the gastrointestinal tract, including stomachaches, gas and cramping. Cayenne pepper was also frequently used to treat diseases of the circulatory system. Applied topically, cayenne pepper was used as a remedy for arthritis and other rheumatic pains & wound clotting.

Physiology:
The most active ingredient is cayenne capsaicin, a molecule found in the white part of the rhine of the pepper. This component of the pepper is what gives a pepper its "heat". The capsaicin component of the pepper was thought to evolve as defense mechanism for the pepper. The capsaicin component is currently being studied for its ant-oxidant and anti-cancer properties. Capsaicin is also thought to increase the metabolic rate thus providing thermogenic weight loss properties via a process that is not exactly understood. Capsaicin also has the ability to deplete and then block the production of "Substance P," which is thought to be the main chemical messenger of pain from the peripheral sensory nerves to the brain.

It is a good idea to always have some Cayenne extract on hand for emergencies. some carry capsules of cayenne in the car and whenever they go hiking, backpacking or mountain climbing.

If a hemorrhage occurs in the lungs, stomach, uterus or nose, it is suggested that a teaspoon of extract (or a teaspoon of cayenne powder in a cup of hot water) be given every 15 minutes until the crisis has passed. The bleeding should stop in 10-30 seconds.  The reason for this is that rather than the blood pressure being centralized, it is equalized by the Cayenne, and the clotting action of the blood becomes more rapid.  For external bleeding, take cayenne internally and pour cayenne directly on the wound. 

We used to hack our limbs in the kitchen, i was amazed to see my arm clot fast. :o

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2014, 11:06:08 AM »

to reread

Download