W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 28, 2017, 02:10:13 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The 35 Essentials in Filipino Stick Fighting  (Read 10109 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
The 35 Essentials in Filipino Stick Fighting
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »

W. HOCK HOCHHEIM’S PACIFIC ARCHIPELAGO COMBATIVES
FILIPINO STICK FIGHTING
STRIKE! THWART! THWARTED!
The 35 Essentials in Close-Quarter Stick Fighting

“Through the last 4 decades I’ve worked through many Filipino stick fighting systems and I began to recognize the common threads and methods in all of them. I began to collect and organize these threads and I have settled upon 35 essential things that every Filipino stick practitioner must know, when battling stick versus stick, past the dueling range and into close range.
    Expressing these 35, most of them through the Combat Clock of high, right, low and left, attacks, rather than all these numerous disconnected and disjointed numbering systems, opens these 35 methods into a simple, yet giant array of total skills and knowledge. Universal and unique. Plus it offers a vital outline as an instructional tool to teach the subject.”
                                                                         - W. Hock Hochheim

See
http://www.hockscqc.com/shop/product499.html

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: The 35 Essentials in Filipino Stick Fighting
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »

This material is about closer quarters than dueling and a lot about the diminished fighter. You know, stick fighters may be diminished to some degree in a world without helmets and protective gear. A real world where entry into closer ranges becomes more possible. It is also the core of stick tapi-tapi.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:33:20 AM by Hock »

noload

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »

I need to clear the card and get this.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:10:07 AM »

I only make a Filipino DVD about once a year. Last year was the Windmill. Day-to-day business has me preoccupied with hand, stick, knife and gun tactical matters, but my mind still wanders back to aiki-jitsu and FMA. Like a puzzle and puzzle-solving. Like a hobby you don't really have time for. Then something boils up and compells me to document it.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »

Ron Goin says on Facebook -
"I've always been amazed at Hock Hochheim's ability to distill the most important combative elements out of the plethora of systems, styles and techniques out there. He has a logical, systematic, and practical approach whereby he cuts through the veneer and gets at the meat of what works. His famous 'clock' approach is at once simple and yet sophisticated. I can't wait to get this new DVD!"

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »

From _______
As an old student of Mike Belzer / Inosanto Academy training I was wondering how (if at all) Hock's FMA stick work is different or similar to Doce Pares or Cabales Escrima?
                                                         Cheers - ______

Howdy_____,
I am only interested in the essence of it all. So, at times what I do under the name of “FMA” or the “Freelancer Filipino Martial Arts” will look like these other things and then at times not look like them.
I am not interesting in any one system. Not at all. I am irreverent, I would admit, to a fault.
Mentioned was the Inosanto Academy, and while they look at all systems, they have the tendency to jump both feet into one system for long while and in doing so, replicating the same knowledge they already know from other systems. Like a science or history project. There is no cleaving done. Just replication. No evolution. Absolutely fine if that is your goal. It is not mine.
I think the core, the “truth” transcends all these popular named systems. I am only interested in identifying the essence of what is good.

Take care,
Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 09:41:06 AM »

To________;i agree with Hock-as i progress in self defense techniques and training/teaching i have transended from one only art to learning and using what works for me-by combigning the use of technique X  Y Z i find that its all basically the same -different name same end result-WW

Ashblaster

• Level 1
  • No Heaven. No Hell. Just Science.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »

I seem to remember you saying once that aiki-jitsu was the art you liked the most, or maybe you thought it was the most well rounded. Ever think about doing a 35 Essentials of aiki-jitsu DVD?
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »

Me?....essentials of Aiki-Jitsu?....no, I don't think I could handle it.
I do like Aiki-Jitsu and I do think it is well-rounded. Yes, if really forced between FMA and Aiki-Jitsu, I'd pick Aiki-Jitsu. Though some of it would drive me crazy.

And I am years out of the pocket on it. You have to be all in on the Zen/Aiki thing to enhance the jujitsu. And you have to be all in on the Japanese connection. All of which I am a poor representitive.

I think all the takedowns and throws I already show in the generic unarmed course would be the best I could offer on the subject. I am a punk in Zen and a tourist in Japanese martial arts.

Hock

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »

Hock-actually (my humble opinion that is)-your background in the SFC has many  many techniques from various Japanese martial art movements
-trips,your throws, arm movements-thoughts on the mental aspect-all relate .. I would not sell your self short- Bonzai--------hehehe-  ;D WW

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »

Banzia?

In my case...Bonsai!
http://www.joebonsai.com/bonsai-trees.htm

Hock

Benjamin Liu

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »

Hock-actually (my humble opinion that is)-your background in the SFC has many  many techniques from various Japanese martial art movements
-trips,your throws, arm movements-thoughts on the mental aspect-all relate .. I would not sell your self short- Bonzai--------hehehe-  ;D WW

Hock's right on the Aikijutsu thing.  The Japanese martial arts are VERY traditional and strict about lineage and following tradition to the letter.  Schools that modernize or Westernize, even if it is simply not acting like you are Japanese and living in Japan, are often flamed.

While there is the real issue of guys like Ashida Kim and the numerous Youtube "ninja" and "samurai," for the most part these dopes are just Youtube freaks and don't have real schools.  Most of the criticism of Japanese systems being "Americanized" is just being petty.  I've seen posts complaining about people wearing hats and sunglasses when training outdoors, for example.  Others complain about Americans wearing a regular gi and not hakama.  They complain about people using anything other than a traditionally hand-forged sword costing thousands of dollars.  If they saw you teaching knife techniques they'd complain about you using "just a Ka-Bar" and not a $3,000.00 tanto. 

Another issue would be that a practical Aikijutsu DVD could be seen by some people as copying Mike Janich since he just released a DVD titled "Junkyard Aikido."

An easy way around all this would be to just use the generic "Jujutsu" label since arts like Aikijutsu and Taijutsu could be seen as types of Jujutsu.  They'd certainly be closer to Japanese Jujutsu than BJJ is.

Then again, it would also be easy to ignore posters on such forums.

Speaking of Bonsai, lots of these types consider traditional Japanese hobbies like Bonsai and flower arrainging to be things to put on their martial arts qualifications.  They'd go to a seminar by someone with those activitied listed on their resume over someone with firearms training or training in other arts.  I don't think modern Japanese hobbies like anime and manga count.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »

HA!
"Junkyard Aikido." That is VERY clever.
Reminds me of the infamous Junkyard Samurai
http://www.junkyardsamurai.com/junkyard-samurai-story.html
The coming blockbuster that was never made.

Hock
(no thanks, I will stay a safe distance from the ravages of formal Japanese Martial Arts)

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »

Hock's right on the Aikijutsu thing.  The Japanese martial arts are VERY traditional and strict about lineage and following tradition to the letter.  Schools that modernize or Westernize, even if it is simply not acting like you are Japanese and living in Japan, are often flamed.

While there is the real issue of guys like Ashida Kim and the numerous Youtube "ninja" and "samurai," for the most part these dopes are just Youtube freaks and don't have real schools.  Most of the criticism of Japanese systems being "Americanized" is just being petty.  I've seen posts complaining about people wearing hats and sunglasses when training outdoors, for example.  Others complain about Americans wearing a regular gi and not hakama.  They complain about people using anything other than a traditionally hand-forged sword costing thousands of dollars.  If they saw you teaching knife techniques they'd complain about you using "just a Ka-Bar" and not a $3,000.00 tanto. 

Another issue would be that a practical Aikijutsu DVD could be seen by some people as copying Mike Janich since he just released a DVD titled "Junkyard Aikido."

An easy way around all this would be to just use the generic "Jujutsu" label since arts like Aikijutsu and Taijutsu could be seen as types of Jujutsu.  They'd certainly be closer to Japanese Jujutsu than BJJ is.

Then again, it would also be easy to ignore posters on such forums.

Speaking of Bonsai, lots of these types consider traditional Japanese hobbies like Bonsai and flower arrainging to be things to put on their martial arts qualifications.  They'd go to a seminar by someone with those activitied listed on their resume over someone with firearms training or training in other arts.  I don't think modern Japanese hobbies like anime and manga count.

The fellow that I linked up with some years back down in Alabama was VERY strict about his Goju-Ryu and Nihon JiuJitsu.  He taught both, but NEVER, EVER at the same time.  He was very clear that never shall the twain meet in the classroom.  He was even keen on learning Kali, but he would not consider mixing it with his karate or jiu-jitsu.  He was even evaluated periodically on how pure his Goju-Ryu or Nihon JiuJitsu was.  It was eye opening to me how much lineage is valued in some of these systems.  To me, the information is what's important.  To quote a sci-fi game I used to play, "Information is ammunition."

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

arnold

• the king of cool
  • Level 4
  • oh that will get you killed
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

Lineage. Here's the problem with some of that. If the people in the beginning taught crap, and the next umpteen generations taught crap, and they teach crap today, it's just a long line of crap. Which can now be gotten for free at any gathering of the Occupy wall Street group of fucking idiots.
I leave you idiots alone for 5 minutes and I come back and you're all dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots
you're all a bunch of slack jawed faggots around here, this stuff will make you a sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me!

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 10:56:52 AM »

I have always been interested to know, what the common grunt solider was taught the Japanese army in terms of hand to hand. Everything would go to shit on the battlefield.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »

You know years ago, somehere, I saw stuff about that. It's been a long time. But I think it looked a lot like the WW II combatives stuff.

Hock

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »

Lineage. Here's the problem with some of that. If the people in the beginning taught crap, and the next umpteen generations taught crap, and they teach crap today, it's just a long line of crap. Which can now be gotten for free at any gathering of the Occupy wall Street group of fucking idiots.

I didn't say it was a good idea.  I said I'd seen it before.

Kent
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

JimH

• Level 4
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »

"I have always been interested to know, what the common grunt solider was taught the Japanese army in terms of hand to hand. Everything would go to shit on the battlefield. "

The Japanese had training in Sumo,Judo,Kendo.
Sumo was surprisingly the more popular.
Judo had been taught in school.
Kano was against the use and or teaching of Judo for War.
Kendo was taught as a sort of return to the way of the Samurai.
Most of these were learned by the Japanese as youths ,prior to official entry into the military.

Jukendo ,the art of Bayonet training was emphasized in the actual military training.

Short clip of Japanese training 1943:
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675052999_Japanese-soldiers_soldiers-drilling_scheduled-life_undergoing-training_soldiers-prepared-for-war

Brenda

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:13 PM »

I think the core, the “truth” transcends all these popular named systems. I am only interested in identifying the essence of what is good.
~ Hock

Perfect words to describe my journey !

Brenda King

ghostrider

• Level 3
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 01:50:51 PM »

Every martial artist or combatives practitioner needs a dose of truth in combat, whether he or she be a professional soldier, law enforcement officer, jail guard, or security personnel. For the rest of us who only deal with the day by day interaction with other people that dose of truth comes in handy. We continue to learn, train, and absorb what is useful, as well as, keep the rest in our storehouse of knowledge. Truly we train everyday, whether its on the mat or in dealing with others. A true practitioner trains all the time 24 hours a day. Along with that a code of ethics and a guiding principle should be added to that. For to just train in the methods of destruction without regard for where it could take you shows that you still have much to learn.
A people should not be afraid of their government, a government should be afraid of their people- V

Download