W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 17, 2017, 11:20:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre Emptive Hammerfist And Punching  (Read 7346 times)

jay1983

• Forum Member
Pre Emptive Hammerfist And Punching
« on: June 06, 2012, 05:39:07 AM »

Hi all

I'm new to the forum. Bought Hocks Critical Combat and First Contact DVDs and looking forward to going through them when they arrive. In the mean time i have a few questions I was hoping people could help me with...

1. I've done some boxing in the past and was getting pretty confident with my punches. But then I started buying self protection DVD's and kept seeing or reading that punching without a gloved fist is a bad idea. If you connect with the skull or forehead rather than the jaw of face area you're in trouble. I know it's obviously going to hurt but I used to know guys who used to fight regularly and it was always fists.It's messed with my head a bit and I think if the shit did hit the fan now I'd hold back in case of hurting my fist. Ridiculous I know but it's played with my head. What are peoples opinions on punching with an ungloved fist in a real situation?

2. Because of the fact I kept reading/watching what a bad idea it was to punch I started looking at other techniques. I broke my wrist a few years ago and the palm strike doesn't feel great for me. So I started practising with the hammer fist. I have got to a level where I can hit pretty hard with the hammerfist and like it. My question is what do people think of the hammerfist as a pre emptive strike?

3. I've bought DVD's where they emphasise the edge of hand in a big way. Is this really as effective as people make out? I think Austin Powers' 'judo chop' has put a negative spin on it  ;D I just want to practice strikes that are proven to cause damage so I can protect myself and my loved ones if need be

Thanks in advance for any replies I get  :) And thanks to Hock for the great info he puts out there!

Jay

JimH

• Level 4
Re: Pre Emptive Hammerfist And Punching
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Any strike that can be used,is effective and not telegraphed is good.
if you can do this with your hammerfist then you are good to go.

Finger jabs and eye rakes are also doable with an injured wrist.

The edge of hand is a good strike ,like any other strike ,and is a multi target weapon.

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »

I just hand a minor surgery on my right hand from years of punching. And a somewhat serious surgery on my left hand a few years back from punching (this from an uppercut to a pointy chin- not the usual crown of the head-injury story)

BUT...I won't discount all punching. As they say, "hit something hard with something soft, hit something soft with something hard."

I also suffer a little of the hyper-extention palm strike problem too. But that's with thrusts. Hooking palms? None. But in a fight, your hands may always be subject to some injury.

I learned a lot of material from a guy named Ben Mangels from the South African Commandos and even in a very old age, he could dismantle a human with knife hand "chops and palm strikes. He has in real life (got him in trouble too). That was "his thing" and he did it well.

You have to find your own little system that suits you in a pinch.

Hock

jay1983

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »

Brilliant thanks guys :) I think I'll keep drilling the hammerfast and build up my speed and power and combine it with what I learn in Hocks DVDs.

Thank you!

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

Morning-just got to read your post as I am in Dubai-I also agree with all the responses-and to add-in a real situation you are not going to think should i strike with a fist or palm or hammer fist-you are you are just going to respond as you trained-I have seen street altercations where the
person who struck with a fist cripppled the opponent without any injury-the face is not steel. keep on training-glad to see u on the forum- WW

neljohn

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:59:13 AM »

Yes I think the knife hand to the neck is a good shot... I prefer palms over punching but punching should have a place in defending yourself... Look into forearm strikes also...

I use my knife hand strike as taught by Kelly Mccann!

neljohn

Wizard

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 03:40:49 AM »

Hey,

Not an expert here but have some thoughts:  Lots of people break something while punching (even Mike Tyson in bar from what I've heard), so there is a risk of losing that weapon.  Love the hammers, ax hand, eye racks, palms.   Kelly McCann teaches these as go-to, large muscle group combatives.   As Hock has said, punch to soft targets like side of neck, abdomen, etc.

Check out the concept of "cycling", of rapidly using a lead hand fash smash or eye gouge followed by rear hand hammer followed by face smash followed by hammer...One hand replaces the other with overwhelming pressure.  As soon as they start blocking, go low with kick or knees.   Very combative entry, easy to learn.

I'd also say watch the pre-emptive, depending on the situation and laws!

Just some thoughts...

Wizard

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:35:08 AM »

Wizard-sounds  like wing chun striking-and that would hurt-lol WW

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:15:03 PM »

All good thoughts and sound information. I'm especially fond of Kelly McCann's approach as described by Wizard above. I had the good fortune to train with Fred Bauer's group this summer and much of their curriculum favored open hand strikes like hammer fists, axe hands, etc.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »

"Open hand strikes like hammer fists"

I think you may be confused....
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »

"Open hand strikes like hammer fists"

I think you may be confused....

LOL! You are correct, my bad. I guess I got ahead of myself there.

Download