W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 25, 2017, 09:45:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: school shooter training  (Read 2320 times)

juszczec

• Level 3
school shooter training
« on: February 04, 2013, 08:34:39 AM »

A friend of mine has gotten certified and is an ALICE trainer.  I had never heard of this before, but its tactics to help teachers who may be trapped in a school shooter type situation.

I'm all for preparation.

I've been asked to be the bad guy.  I can do crazy - mess up the hair a bit and they tell me I look like Charles Manson.  But the question is, how do I make this simulation as real as possible?  Because my goal is to make the participants feel as closely as they would in a real situation. 

So, I'm getting a variety of airsoft guns.  And I'm preparing my lunatic trash talk script.  I think a prerecorded CD of random screams and pistol shots would be a nice touch.  I'll see if I can get someone to cut the lights for me at random, but I don't think that's gonna be a possibility.

The question is, what else can I add?

Mark

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Re: school shooter training
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:19 AM »

already sounds good to me.

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:08:21 AM »

already sounds good to me.

ok.  cool.  i'll try and get someone to take pics.

and, i'll triple check with the organizer that she tells the local cops what we're doing.

she joked about doing that yesterday and I imgined myself in the cross hairs of a SWAT sniper and did NOT like it.

F. Fuller

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »

Just be mindful of the goal of the training and keep your actions in line with the learning objectives of the Instructor. Nothing kills a class worse than a role player going rogue and doing their own thing. Been doing Active Shooter Training for LEOs for years now and that is one thing that even the best intentioned role players can get sucked into.

Canuk

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »

Ya, I just completed a training video and I neeedd to bring the players down a few times and bring it back to focus. It really helps to story board the whole thing 

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

Backstory:  a friend of mine is giving ALICE training for a local day care.  she wants me to play the deranged shooter.

Quick little update on my preparations:

I shelled out a couple bucks for a battery powered Airsoft pistol with blowback.  My son's collection of spring loaded ones were all broken.

I made the soundtrack I'm going to use, a collection of screams and shots that will play full blast in the background as I run around screaming insane stuff like "I'm gonna kill ya and cut ya open and eat yer guts" in order to shake up the participants.

I played it for my son, he was creeped out.  I played it for my wife and she was revolted.  Heck, the first time I played it I was too close to the speaker and jumped a foot in the air at the first scream.

I love stuff like this.  Yeah, its a sickness but I use it for good so I'm not seeking treatment.

If one of the organizers has a camera, I'll see if I can post pics.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

juszczec

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »

The training was a screaming success.

Saying the trainers I helped out were pleased is a terrible understatement.

The ALICE tactics themselves are pretty solid.  Twice I was only able to fire off half a clip before I got taken down and neutralized.

Once they were able to keep me out of the room simply by barricading the door with tables and chairs and tying the door to the barricade with a belt.

I really love this kind of teaching - take people who have no idea what they can do and show them how to do something they figure only superheroes are capable of.

Once again, thanks to Hoch and everyone who offered advice.

Download