W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 23, 2017, 03:27:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Science of Sumbrada video  (Read 3548 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
Re: Science of Sumbrada video
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »

I did like the shoe defense toward the end.   8)
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Kaliman33

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

same old box pattern,

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:50:51 AM »

Old, but versatile. I really enjoy working this drill at speed and then seeing how many different inserts I can perform (counters to the checking hand, counters to the strike, disarms, takedowns, etc.).

I recently had the chance to work this drill empty-handed with Jason Guiterrez at Hock's PAC seminar in Houston and just had a blast with it! Although we worked it with single and double weapons as well, it was during the empty-handed session, with us breaking and re-entering the pattern, that I realized there was still a lot more to be gained from working this drill.

It's probably my favorite drill to work in the whole PAC system. ;D
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »

I agree Dawg!
I like it a bunch, and if you use a bit of imagination, you can move into a non pattern "sumbrada" where there is just stikes, and blocks, perries, jabs and all, and it just goes and goes.....ecrimador style.  but that basic drill is a solid foundation for blocks and stikes, when kept in it's proper perspective.
-The natural right of self-defense permits us to oppose an enemy with the same arms he uses, and to make his own rage and folly recoil upon himself-

Dawg

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 10:09:35 AM »

Perspective is everything, Mr. Barnett!

I think if folks would add some imagination and energy to their drills, they would get a lot more out of them. I only get so much time to train; when I get to train with one of my advanced partners, you can bet that sumbrada will probably be in the mix. Plus, I REALLY hate just going through the motions by myself, so I take advantage of my training partners to work this drill every chance I get! Hitting stuff is great; hitting stuff that can hit you back? That's MY kind of training!
"Whether you're paranoid or not, they're coming for you."  - Dawg

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »

exactly!  Tires are one thing, but timing changes and a brain behind it, plus advancing, retreating, and ground work too.  It goes well with the drill. 

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »

Someone needs to explain this imagination to me.  I turned in half of what I had when I joined the Army, and surrendered the other half when I got my last promotion.
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Mr. Barnett

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:09 AM »

lol, I hear that the army will do that to you!
A drill is only as good as the drillers.  Dean Goldade is a master stick fighter, and when I worked with him, we started out with the drill (sumbrada) but after working with him, the drill moved into a more of a hit and block drill, until it was full on stick to stick fighting, where anythig goes.  The drill creates a common ground to launch attacks and blocks, and then, you get crazy, then you identify where you can rejoin the drill to continue to help your partner to explore new ground ....Imagination plays a big part and the drill becomes something to resort to after things get waaaaay out of control, to bring it back to a common launch pad of hit and retract.

Download