Hock's Facebook

Hock's Seminars

Hock's Web Page

Hock's Author Page

Hock's WolfPack Author Page

Lauric Enterprises, Inc.

W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry interested in self-defense for moral, legal and ethical purposes.

Hock Fightin' Words Talk Forum

• March 28, 2024, 04:06:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SFC Testing - The "College Approach"  (Read 11097 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
SFC Testing - The "College Approach"
« on: June 13, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

SFC Testing - We Use The College Approach

Simply put? Now, you do not have to take our modules in order. You can complete course levels out of order.

I am already scheduling seminars for 2023, my 27th year on the road.  In some circumstances, I may only return to a city around the world in a year and a half now, not every year. Worse, complicating the mission, I really am consistently asked for rank progressions and instructorships. Squeezing all this in, IN PROMOTIONAL ORDER for each individual person, is just about impossible to schedule.
     Every single thing I teach is a course we have. We have 7 courses. Hand, Stick, Knife. Gun. CQC Group (which is the combination of the hand, stick, knife and gun courses)FMA/PAC and Police Judo. But the core and most popular courses are the hand, stick, knife and gun programs. Four main courses.
     The core of all the levels are first levels. The tenth is a big test, a Black Belt test. Granted, many of the modules are short and simple, but they take time to do, to teach and get to. Getting to them all, for everyone gets harder and harder each year. In a perfect world, like the perfect college schedule, you would start with "Subject 101" and proceed in perfect order, on through the "Subject 400s." Ever done that? Who do you know that has? It is next to impossible.
     When folks go to college, they do the best they can. They take the subjects and classes that are open to them at the time, wrestling with both their schedules and the college-scheduled offerings. This means a college student may actually start in class "Subject 105," rather than "Subject 101" because the 101 class is full. (I actually took all my senior level business courses first!. Yes! As a night student no one seemed to care. So I took "401, 402- on up." Took the others later as I could get them.) And fact is we are not even a real "college-college." We are just some certification courses, some training courses. We are not even a martial "art." So, you can achieve out of order.

Some courses have prerequisites. Seen this before? "Must Take Class 301 Before Class 308." Another simple way to put this, if on any given Sunday I teach Hand 6 and you complete it successfully? You can get official credit for your first or next hand level, even though you haven't finished up to Hand 5. We'll all catch up with everything you in the end. This will facilitate more people to achieve what they deserve this way, given our constricted opportunities. Fortunately, in my practical/tactical course modules, these subjects are not brain surgery or rocket science, nor are they fancy, difficult katas, high jinx or high kicks. They are simply basic, simple things spaced out over time, because not all things can fit in level 1 or "101." Plus we expect people will already be working with their local instructors, have the training videos, and also have experience (most folks I see, have experience) in a variety of systems and schools.
      So now, simply put? You do not have to take or test for our modules in strict order. Nice if you would? Best if you would. But like college, you can complete course levels out of order. And, of course, you can simple train in all of this for knowledge only, never taking any tests at all. The choice is always yours.
     Complete any three levels? You can become an instructor. Instructors can teach ANY SFC material, but only promote people in the levels they tested for.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 02:15:24 PM by Hock »

Download