W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• November 17, 2017, 11:18:08 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shoot for accuracy? or Just A Little of it?  (Read 1912 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Shoot for accuracy? or Just A Little of it?
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

Interesting pistol discussion on a discussion pistol here. Shoot for accuracy or just a little bit of accuracy? http://pistol-training.com/archives/8621

rside

• Level 1
Re: Shoot for accuracy? or Just A Little of it?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »

It's a crazy way of teaching people to shoot.  There are 2 reasons for shooting center mass: 1) you're more likely to stop the threat  2) people move-and if you're shooting center mass you're more likely to at least hit something.  I disagree with the poster on part B.  If you hit a non-critical area, at least you've caused some damage that can help you win the battle; i.e. win the battles then you win the war.  People move before, during, and after being shot at.  Be smart with your rounds.

Kentbob

• JOAT
  • Level 4
  • Sound the horn and call the cry
    • Antrim Self-Protection
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »

I too see people who are super impressed by their and the ability of others to put rounds in a dime sized group.  Who cares?  Whether with a rifle or pistol, tight groups don't win the fight.  6 shots that all hit the lung, or 2 shots in the left lung, 1 in the right, 1 that nicked the aorta, 1 in the liver, and one that misses.  Which bad guy has more damage done to him, overall?
"Specialization is for insects."-Robert A. Heinlein

http://antrimmasp.blogspot.com/

Chuck Burnett

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:17:31 PM »

If I can apply fundamental shooting skills to the point of putting my rounds into a tight clusterwhen I choose to, I then have the options of a precise shot if needed or pushing my speed to put a handspan sized burst into my opponent's upper torso or head as rapidly as possible.

If the best I can do in practice is scatter rounds shoulder to shoulder and nuts to eyeballs, I won't do well if the only target I have is an opponents head and gun hand protruding from behind solid cover.

I agree that "combat" accuracy is more of a handspan sized group delivered as fast as possible, and most of my shooting practice reflects that.
If I'm sprinting off the line of attack while shooting one-handed. I'll settle for any center torso hits.
If they're all in a four inch circle, I can go faster.
If I have mostly peripheral hits with some off the target, I need to slow down, refine my visual index, or (most likely) stop "mashing" the trigger.

I do tire of hearing "any hit on the adversary is good enough" as an excuse for sloppy and unfocused shooting.

Mastery is simply applying fundamentals at a very high level. If you can't slow down and put bullets exactly where you want them, you have room for improvement.

Download