W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• June 23, 2017, 07:37:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: They are just exercises...  (Read 1404 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
They are just exercises...
« on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »

They Are Just Exercises!

You know I really hate releasing short video clips. I do only because I must. I have seen numerous mediocre instructors take rabid advantage of YouTube and internet videos these last few years and by video clips alone, gain considerable popularity and business. So, infrequently, we add some video clips to the Force Necessary TV page.

But, the clips are always criticized and quite often by arrogant, young and old knuckleheads and idiots. Once a clip is up? It never ends. Sure enough the other day, some smug know-it-all saw a brief clip of me doing what he called “hubud,” and articulately expressed his concerns in long paragraphs about how the drill was missing “distancing” issues. Dear viewer, Hubad IS a close-quarter drill. That is what it is. It exists right there. Complaining about "Hubud" distance issues is like complaining that there is no running while doing push-ups. There are other drills for other distances. There are even drills for changing distances. But guess what? In that 420 second "hubud" video clip? I did not do all 150 of them. Context, context, context.

The ignorant viewer cannot grasp the context. As Don Rumsflied said, (quoting some other famous guy ) "There's what you know, what you don't know, and what you don't know your don't know." Sometimes the context is bigger than the education, sometimes bigger than the brain. And speaking of grasping - the exercise he saw was my infamous grab drill. The very idea is, when close up, to create fast, powerful grabbing hands and also to counter grabs, all in a flurry of fast-moving arms. You can do the exercise, as we do, on the ground also. It is not a kick boxing drill. There is no distance changing in this exercise. Dear viewer, there are other exercises for developing kick boxing…at that kick boxing distance.

First off, “Hubud is actually HubAd with an “a” not a “u.” Hubud with a "u" `means “naked above the waste,” in Filipino Tagalog. Hubad is one of many, many skill developing exercises. It is actually only a thin slice of a much longer skill progression, but many Americans and Europeans don't know this, and many have glommed onto one part of it, as if that “block, pass and pin” motion is the only part to practice when doing Hubad. There are actually about 6 or 7 in a whole chain of a block and strike study. That one, popular “block, pass and pin” version/slice is way overdone by many practitioners. This alone probably causes much of the criticism from the ignorant window-watchers.

As a result of this small-minded ignorance, the so-called “flow drill”…that very title alone…has gotten a bad name in the martial marketplace. Picked apart like video clips like the F.D.A. picks apart cures for cancer? But, these are nothing but simple, small exercises about small, thin slices of a fight, nothing more than an exercise like jumping jacks or push-ups. While some martial artists pick on certain flow drills as “dead drills”, or whatever, they never pick on simple push-ups or sit-ups, or wind sprints as being incomplete, or “the wrong distance” etc., etc., or for being detrimental to the cause of overall, physical strength, coordination and speed improvement. All sports have isolation drills, isolating and developing steps.“ Try to wrap your head around the bigger picture. They are ALL exercises.

So, to the instructor - first off, do not overdo these drills! You will just become a fancy dancer. The combat scenario is king. Secondly, when and if you do them? Take my advice, get into the habit of calling them "exercises," not “flow drills.” This will screw up small-minded criticism of what you are doing. If anyone says anything, remind them it ALL an exercise. Just like a dead lift or push ups.

Download