W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• August 22, 2017, 02:46:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Escalating the Escalated Escalation  (Read 975 times)

Hock

• Administrator
  • Level 4
    • www.HocksCQC.com
Escalating the Escalated Escalation
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »

"If I pull my knife? And he is carrying a gun? Will this cause him to pull his gun out? Will I cause the problem to escalate?"

So often people want a Magic Bullet answer. There's always big talk in the self defense industry about "avoidance." Avoiding a common knucklehead fight is a cottage industry. They also call it de-escalation. Some folks confidently doll out solutions to confrontations in 3 to 5 steps.

"Say these things!"         
      "Do this!"     
       "Do that!"       
       "Stand like this!"
       "Don't ever..."

I don't know about that kind of solution magic. I have investigated a whole lot of assaults, aggravated assaults, attempted murders and murders through the decades, and while there are identifiable patterns, surprises and chaos can sure still reign supreme. But, let me summarize by calling it all "situational." In the end, solutions are situational. Like calling plays in a football game, it depends on the situation. And if you watch any game, the same play doesn't usually work twice in a row. Situational.

So, there's an argument! A fight! Given you have already performed all your touted and popular avoidance steps. You are armed under your coat or in your pocket with a knife or a gun and this stuff ain't working! The mean man won't leave!...

For more, click here- http://forcenecessarytv.blogspot.com/2015/05/draw-dont-draw-escalating-escalated.html

Download