W. Hock Hochheim's

Combat Centric

Talk Forum for Military, Police, Martial Artists and Aware Citizenry

Hock Hochheim's Combat Talk Forum

• April 27, 2017, 06:22:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Apache Knife Fighting - Jailed  (Read 19905 times)

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
Apache Knife Fighting - Jailed
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »

http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/54491/print/

Combat instructor faces charges of kidnapping, rape

BY KATE WARD Northwest Arkansas Times

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A nationally known knife combat instructor was arrested by police Saturday for allegedly tying up his wife, taping her mouth shut and repeatedly raping her.

Robert Redfeather, 49, of 33559 W. Old Farmington Road faces felony charges for aggravated assault, kidnapping and rape.

Police responded to Redfeather’s residence at about 7: 30 a. m. Saturday after his wife told police that he had assaulted her and held her against her will inside their home.

The accuser said she and Redfeather were arguing and he became angry and threw her on the bed. She accused him of strangling her and raising his hand as if to strike her. Redfeather then allegedly forced the victim to remove her clothes before bounding her hands and feet with rope, forcing a necktie down her throat and covering her mouth with duct tape. He is accused of disconnecting two phones in the home before sexually assaulting the victim repeatedly.

The victim told police she was bound and unable to escape for an extended period of time.

According to the arrest report, when one of the couple’s children knocked on the bedroom door, Redfeather removed the tape from the victim’s mouth and used a large blade to cut the ropes. He then allegedly put the ropes in a duffel bag and placed the knife in a bedroom closet.

Prior to officers’ arrival, the arrest report stated, Redfeather fled from his home, armed with a knife, and hid in a nearby wooded area. When police found him, he allegedly threatened to kill himself with the knife. Negotiation teams with the Fayetteville Police Department spoke with Redfeather, and he eventually surrendered.

He was transported to the Washington Regional Medical and treated for several self-inflicted knife wounds. He was later released and transported to the Washington County Detention Center, where he was being held on $ 25, 000 bond Tuesday night. He is scheduled to make his first appearance in the Washington County Circuit Court today.

According to a preliminary arrest report, Redfeather is employed at the University of Arkansas Physical Plant. He is also an instructor at the Apache Knife Tactical School.

According to his Web site, Redfeather is known for training U. S. military troops and police officers in various knife combat tactics. His class is a “ certified comprehensive, extreme close-quarters combat course that deals with defensive hand-tohand combat, ” the Web site states. Use of knives is extensive throughout the class.

Redfeather is an 8 th degree black belt and also a member of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association.

http://nwanews.com/nwat/News/58768

Knife instructor pleads guilty to aggravated assault

BY TRISH HOLLENBECK Northwest Arkansas Times

Posted on Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A nationally known knife combat instructor pleaded guilty Monday morning to two counts of aggravated assault on a family member for roughing up his wife and holding her against her will.

Robert Mitchell Redfeather, 49, of 33559 W. Old Farmington Road, Fayetteville, entered the plea in Washington County Circuit Court to the two aggravated assault charges and one count of first-degree false imprisonment in connection with a June 23 incident.

He was sentenced to 17 years in the Arkansas Department of Correction. He also received a five-year suspended sentence. He received credit for 125 days served in the Washington County Detention Center.

He was originally charged with two counts of rape and one count of kidnapping, but those charges were reduced. He had been accused of forcing the victim to have sexual relations with him. She told police she was bound and unable to escape for an extended period of time.

The charges were reduced because of the circumstances of the couple's marriage prior to the incident, said Charles Duell, deputy prosecutor for the 4 th Judicial District.

Redfeather is not to have contact with his wife during the time of his incarceration and suspended sentence, which will probably total eight years, Duell said.

Redfeather fled from his home prior to police officers'arrival after the incident and was armed with a knife. He hid in a nearby wooded area. When police found him, he allegedly threatened to kill himself with the knife.

http://www.adc.arkansas.gov/inmate_info/search.php?dcnum=140190&lastname=redfeather&sex=M&agetype=1

ADC Number: 140190
Name: Redfeather, Robert M
Race: NA INDIAN
Sex: MALE
Hair Color: BLACK
Eye Color: BROWN
Height: 68 inches
Weight: 194 lbs.
Birth Date: 05/05/1958
Initial Receipt Date: 10/29/2007
Current Facility: Cummins Unit
PE / TE Date*: 02/07/2011
Total time*: 17 yrs. *
Aliases
Robert Michael Redfeather
Robert Michael Torres
Robert Mitchell Torres

Current Prison Sentence History
Agg Asslt On Fam/Household 10/29/2007 WASHINGTON 2007-1734 72 mo.
Agg Asslt On Fam/Household 10/29/2007 WASHINGTON 2007-1734 72 mo.
False Imprisonment 1st Deg 10/29/2007 WASHINGTON 2007-1734 60 mo.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:20:02 PM by Hock »
JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

D. McLemore

• Level 1
Re: Apache Knife Fighting - Jailed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 08:35:21 AM »

Hoch & Everyone: 

I just got through responding to Hoch on this and thought it might be worth a few words here.  I never trained with Robert Redfeather.  I've watched his dvd and corresponded with him a few years back.  I found him to be a polite engaging individual and his programs, while not for everyone, did provide a service for a great number of people. Obviously he must have had a turbulent relationship with his wife.   This is all very sad both for him and his students but moreover it becomes somewhat like a death in that will be used by the Anti-Martial-Arts activistists to further their agendas.  When it's all said and done, things like this are not good for anyone. My thoughts go out to Robert because I know at this particular time he must feel like he has no friend in the world.  Life has changed for him. While I question Bryan's logic for publishing the downfall of someone on a world-wide web, I understand that maybe, just maybe there may be some sort of lesson here for everyone else.  There are a lot of people who will enjoy reading this but for me it just makes me so very sad. When things like this happen, it makes me glad that I made the decision a while back to limit my role in the commerical side of the martial arts.  This business seems to stress  the family and generates a form of anger that distortes our logic for something we loved when we started out.  When one's hobbies/professions become obscessions and your seeing an ambush around every corner, it takes it's toll. I am still amazed how Hoch, Kelly, and Mike continue in this field. True warriors I guess.  In closing I think there are many other 'bums' out there in the martial arts that deserve this sort trama, much more than Robert Redfeather. I hope he finds peace.

Best
Dwight

whitewolf

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:44:44 AM »

I just finished reading the post about redfeather=I hope he finds piece also-plus if he atacks the next woman like it said he did then hopefully someone will take him OUT..
whitewolf (el  lobo blanco)

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »

A martial arts associate called me today and told me to look at the Redfeather forum post.  I haven't made time to check out forums in a long time, but decided to check it out.  I met Robert Redfeather a few years back and did some training with him.  On a professional level, he is a great guy to talk to, and he has good abilities in teaching.  He comes across as a mellow, easy-going person who does not seem to look for trouble. He is Mescalero Apache and I'm Lipan Apache.  Most Apaches are taught to be respectful of nature and others.  We are also taught to never speak of the dead and we do not speak negative of others...that being said, I will not comment of this post.  I did call up his brother Ralf Redfeather to get his side of the story, and I told him I will keep Robert in prayers. 
Anytime a pastor, priest, or Rabi fails, the media seems to highlight the failure of the church.  I remember when I managed the Nautilus Aerobics Plus in Pasadena, California and a local competiter gym was featured in the paper because the owner was arrested for steroid dealing and use.  I spoke with the owner of Nautilus Aerobics Plus and he told me how saddened he was to hear the news...he told me, "Blocker, when someone fails in our industry, we all fail."  I think you all get my point here.  Let's all pray for Robert.

Snake, by all accounts your a nice guy. Unfortunately we do not live in a nice world and the actions  Robert Redfeather took on the night in question were not only criminal but just the actions of a sick scumbag. I have 0 sympathy for him or anyone else who takes such actions and commits crimes against women who are under his own protection whether he was drunk or just criminally insane. If you go back and read up you will see the original complaint was aggravated assault, kidnapping and rape. This was not a case of a guy getting drunk and making a mistake as he bound, gagged, and repeatedly raped his own wife in his own house then when that situation ended and he new it was over he ran out in the woods with a knife cutting himself and threatening suicide which placed the arresting officer in the most dangerous of situations police can get into, that being a homicidal suicidal domestic call.

What some reading this may not know is the fact I was born and raised in Arkansas and I have friends and family there from regular folks to the good guys. Since I'm also involved in the knife industry on a small scale as a knife historian, maker, designer, and instructor I also have issues from this perspective too. I have looked into this situation with him and nobody has jumped the gun on posting information about him and what happened, he was charged and plead out getting a 17 year sentence. While I do have some sympathy for his family as they do not deserve the bullshit that comes with his crimes I have a greater respect for the citizens of Arkansas and the general public. If anyone wants to make a big deal out of this and defend his actions or make excuses for him I suppose this could be taken to the next level by contacting the arresting officer, the prosecuting attorney, looking deeper into the original police report and other supporting documentation but I doubt if Redfeather would be served well with that bunch of mess.

No, the knife industry did not fail, the system did not fail, there is only one individual at fault here and that's Redfeather. He is a scumbag criminal who endangered the public and law enforcement with his own actions. Can he be rehabilitated, I hope so but I have nothing good to say concerning him today, in the past he was a questionable character in the knife world but today he is nothing but a convict and does not deserve any respect from anyone for any reason, that he can earn with good behavior and time served.

JimH, "Bryan, have you seen the Elephant?"  Bryan Lee, "I Am The MotherFFFFing Elephant!"

D. McLemore

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 07:06:20 AM »

O.K. Bryan....

we do not live in a nice world and the actions  Robert Redfeather took on the night in question were not only criminal but just the actions of a sick scumbag.

I don't think anyone has said anything to the contrary on this. .

If anyone wants to make a big deal out of this and defend his actions or make excuses for him I suppose this could be taken to the next level by contacting the arresting officer, the prosecuting attorney, looking deeper into the original police report and other supporting documentation but I doubt if Redfeather would be served well with that bunch of mess.

I don't think Snake or anyone else said this either. You're the first to bring it up and WHY would anyone care about doing this.

No, the knife industry did not fail, the system did not fail, there is only one individual at fault here  

The only comment to this is that it does not reflect well on any of those things and we as a community all suffer, reguardless of who is at fault.  The failure may rest in you deciding to post this last post  and not letting it lay where it was.   It was a tragedy, no more, no less !

....he is nothing but a convict and does not deserve any respect from anyone for any reason, .

These words while probably true ...well, not really a good choice.  When you get though 'thumbing your chest'   take a lesson from what I said about these things are like a 'death' of a friend/family.  We don't candone what occurred, justice will  and should be served......but it is a damn shame that it occurred . That's all that anyone is saying.  It is not the purpose of this forum to 'Judge' anyone on this matter.  We are not players in this tragic circumstance only observes.

Best
Dwight

Bryan Lee

• Level 4
  • Rogue Elephant
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »

quote author=D. McLemore link=topic=4013.msg35369#msg35369 date=1215435980

O.K. Bryan....

we do not live in a nice world and the actions  Robert Redfeather took on the night in question were not only criminal but just the actions of a sick scumbag.

I don't think anyone has said anything to the contrary on this. .

If anyone wants to make a big deal out of this and defend his actions or make excuses for him I suppose this could be taken to the next level by contacting the arresting officer, the prosecuting attorney, looking deeper into the original police report and other supporting documentation but I doubt if Redfeather would be served well with that bunch of mess.

I don't think Snake or anyone else said this either. You're the first to bring it up and WHY would anyone care about doing this.

I have been informed that there is a active campaign to have this information removed from the net. It seems like some people would rather it be concealed from the general public. My point being that what I posted I considered polite and to the point, that said with any story there are always details and the people who are trying to cover this up should just be aware of that, that is I left out the details out of respect to the victim in this case but if pushed those details could certainly be provided.  

No, the knife industry did not fail, the system did not fail, there is only one individual at fault here  

The only comment to this is that it does not reflect well on any of those things and we as a community all suffer, reguardless of who is at fault.  The failure may rest in you deciding to post this last post  and not letting it lay where it was.   It was a tragedy, no more, no less !

I politely disagree on this point, Its not a tragedy, the Tsunami here in Southeast Asia was a tragedy, the China Earthquake was a tragedy.  What happened here was a violent crime against a person followed by a suicidal standoff with police that fortunately ended through negotiation with Redfeather being the victim of self inflicted wounds but it could have just as easily ended in the murder of a police officer or any other number of violent scenarios and all that's on Redfeather as it was all the blowback of his personal actions. Certainly none of this is a good thing but it does not paint all knife trainers as rapist and kidnappers as this was a isolated case. 

....he is nothing but a convict and does not deserve any respect from anyone for any reason, .

These words while probably true ...well, not really a good choice.  When you get though 'thumbing your chest'   take a lesson from what I said about these things are like a 'death' of a friend/family.  We don't candone what occurred, justice will  and should be served......but it is a damn shame that it occurred . That's all that anyone is saying.  It is not the purpose of this forum to 'Judge' anyone on this matter.  We are not players in this tragic circumstance only observes.

Best
Dwight

/quote

Dwight, I believe you mean "Chest Thumping" and if so that is incorrect as I do not run around like Tarzan pounding my chest or even trying to impress the kids or anything of that nature. Sure some people will see it that way but let me make it plain for anyone reading this. I live in a very dark place where whores,  whore houses, and rivers of whiskey are the law of the land. If my singular purpose was to  puff myself up I could just go sit at the bar of my choice with a lady propped up on each leg and a open uncorked bottle of Kentucky's Finest and make myself into the big man by holding court for all the tourist and other idiots to watch but that's not my life.

I take no pleasure in what has happened here with Redfeather but I do take it personal as it could have just as easily been a member of my family who was called out to respond to his suicidal standoff as they are active in LE throughout the state. It could also be one the people I myself or even Hock has worked with or trained with in Arkansas who would  have been called out to respond to this idiot and his actions. He crossed a line and he will have to live there now, while I was no paticular fan of his before any of this I doubt if anyone can find me making negative comments about the man before, that to has changed.

I'm not sorry I have a shitty attitude about suicidal rapist but If you considered this guy a friend I'm sorry about that from that point of view and Ive been there too. My partner on a security detail who at one time I trusted my life to went rouge and robbed the very people I had spent years putting my life on the line for including coming close to beating to death a man who I love as a brother in the process. It ended with him going to prison but not before the FBI showed up at my hunting camp looking for me as I also was suspected of being involved, fortunately I was ruled out as a suspect quickly but it hurt on many levels and still does as I lost a friend forever and had a brother unmercifully beaten by someone we trusted. So in the end this a poor subject matter but the facts are the facts, they are a matter of public record now.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:50:33 AM by Bryan Lee »

Download