General Category > Force Necessary: Stick (Baton)

FMA Stick to FN:Stick. How?

(1/1)

Hock:
Just a short history about the evolution of courses I teach concerning the stick/baton//impact weapon. I started out with the police baton “back in the day” the early 1970s, when there was almost a “no-holds-barred” with wooden stick, police use (especially in the military police.) The police baton was used to hit, block, shove and capture/grapple with. I was certified in the old 1960s -1970s, Los Angeles Police and Los Angeles County baton courses and much of this material was excellent. In the 1980s I became involved with Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Martial Arts (FMA) , as I, like so many others, was on the hunt for any and all martial arts.

The FMA stick, which was supposed to replace the FMA machete/sword for training is 3/5ths of a comprehensive FMA course, the 5 being-
(1) hand,
(2) single stick,
(3) double stick,
(4) knife,
(5) stick-and-knife
Note – FMAs will always have an assortment of other trick weapons to fool with, powders, whips, etc, but they are of “minor league” interests,
The “stick” appears in three of those 5 FMA subjects above.
* Single Stick
* Double stick
* Espada y Daga (stick and knife)

The single stick category seems to get all the shine, attraction and interest, which to me (and Ernesto Presas teachings) is an imbalance of FMA study. Next the puzzling and fun, addiction of double sticks, and then last, the often ignored Espada y Daga or stick-and-knife.

But I always knew from a practical, reality standpoint, a self defense survival standpoint, I would not be single-stick or double-stick dueling with criminals in an alleyway somewhere. As I like to remind people, how likely is it that you will be in a stick fight with your 28” stick, fighting another cat, coincidentally holding another 28” stick, down on the corner of 8th Ave and 4th Street? Statistically unlikely to none. Why do this then? Mostly fun/ Mostly hobby.

Pugil sticks resemble two-hand, impact rifle fighting and bayonet fighting.

So, through time I had to pigeon-hole, classify “the stick” as in hobby, as well as workable, common sense arenas. The progression was as follows,

For the rest and photos, click here:
https://www.forcenecessary.com/filipino-stick-to-s-d-m-s-to-force-necessary-stick/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version